Besties

Heartbeat

Even after the ordeal, I still had to go to work. I ran home, and showered thoroughly before pulling on my Waitress uniform. I smoothed the skirt, and again noticed how it was shorter than I was comfortable with. Sighing, I walked out into the cold, and headed for the restaurant. When I got there, the head waitress called me over.

"Hye Mi, we have a new employee, and I want you to show her around. Araso?" The head waitress instructed. I nodded, and followed her to the office. The head waitress nodded towards the door, and left. I knocked on the door twice, and waited.

"Come in." A pleasant voice entered. I opened the door, and to my shock, Sohee was standing infront of the desk. My eyes flitted to the hiring manager.

"I see your'e here. Please take good care of Sohee, and mold her into a good employee." The hiring manager smiled, and handed Sohee her uniform. Sohee smiled shyly, and walked towards me.

"It seems like we'll be employees together." Sohee said gleefully. I couldn't help but crack a smile, and pulled Sohee out of the room. I showed her the room where all employees left their bags and coats, how to operate around the room efficiently, work the cash register, and helped her familiarize with the kitchen. When I finished, Sohee nodded. 

"I think I'll remember this. Thanks Hye Mi." Sohee smiled, showing her dipples. 

"No problem. Are you ready for your first shift? If you need help, just call me." Sohee uncertaintly looked around.

"I might not get into the swing of things that quickly. Can I just follow you around this time? You can be my mentor." Sohee begged, tugging on my arm. I laughed. She was so likeable. 

"Hmmm...." I pretended to ponder hard. I watched as her expression turned desperate.

"Of coure you can." I finished, chuckling when she breathed a sigh of relief. Throughout the shift, Sohee and I chatted, and became closer. I found it easy to communicate, and didn't have to force any emotions. We were left to clean up the restaurant after hours. Sohee grabbed a rag, and wiped the table next to mine.

"Minki isn't that bad." Sohee said, still wiping the table. I stopeped, and stared at her in disbelief. Sensing my shock, Sohee rephrased.

"I mean, I know she was awfully rude to you, and that's wrong of her. But she wasn't always like that.." Sohee trailed off, and I noticed a sad expression on her face.

"She was a sweet girl in elementary. Everyone loved her. I was her closest friend, along with Haewon." I assumed Haewon was the third girl. I finished wiping the table, and moved to the next, but nodded to show Sohee I was listening.

"She was such a bright girl. Minki moved away from us in grade 5 to live in China with her parents, but came back in middle school. She changed then. She was still loyal to us, but turned brutal to others. She wasn't happy anymore. We tried to ask her what had happened, but she couldn't bear to say anything. Everytime we asked, she lost all focus and stared blankly ahead. We couldn't turn our backs to her when she was in need of us." Sohee wasn't paying attention, and knocked over a glass salt shaker. I quickly ran over, and helped her clean it up. Sohee suddenly grabbed my hand.

"Can we be friends, Hye Mi? As much as I want to support Minki, I don't think I have the strength to live without a true friend" Sohee's eyes hazed over with tears, and I handed her a napkin. I had wanted Sohee to be my friend from the beginning, but with Minki, I wasn't so sure. But feeling Sohee's sadness, I realized we were in the same situaion. 

"Sure, let's be friends. Good friends." I offered, and put the glass remains in the garbage. Sohee squealed with delight, and hugged me. I hesitantly patted her back. We both froze when we heard clapping. 

"Awweee, you made another friend." Woohyun applauded. I heard Sohee gasp, and inched closer to me.

"Do you know them?" She whispered urgently, her eyes never leaving Woohyun's. I glanced at all 7 of their faces, and nodded slightly. Sungyeol walked forward.

"You found a new friend? What about meeee?" Sungyeol pretended to cry, and I rolled my eyes at his dramatic entrance. 

"I brought my friends over to cheer you up." Sungyeol changed his approach. I softened-He wasn't lying when he said he'd bring them here to bring up my mood. Sungyeol nudged Sunggyu, and jerked his head over to my direcion. Sunggyu slapped his hand over his face, and his shoulders slumped. I felt an emotion of regret coming from Sunggyu, but I didn't have time to register before Sunggyu strode towards me and gazed deeply at me. I blinked several times, and suddenly, Sunggyu broke out in aeygo. He made cute peace signs everywhere while pasting a smile on his face. When he finished, he sank down on the floor infront of us. Sohee stared at him with horror, and I was gaping at him, unsure of what to say. But the though of him throwing his pride away for me lifted the burden off my chest, and I felt bubbles of laughter escaping my lips. Hearing me laugh, Sunggyu smiled a bit, then sat down at a table, and buried his face in his arms, muttering incoherant words. I glanced at Sungyeol, and his eyes glinted with mischief. I wondered what he had black-mailed his friends with. Sohee met eyes with Woohyun, and catching her glance, he glided over and grabbed her hand.

"You must be Hye Mi's friend. Let's get along, araso?" Woohyun winked at her, and I saw Sohee blush madly. I looked at Woohyun with light disgust at his greasiness. Woohyun stepped sideways, and stood over me. 

"Don't be sad, cutie. Oppa will make it all better." Woohyun gave me a charming smile, and opened his arms for a hug.

"DON'T YOU DARE, NAM WOOHYUN." Sungyeol barked. Woohyun froze, then backed away. He winked at Sohee again, then walked over to Sunggyu to comfort him. L, Hoya, Dongwoo, and Sungjong were next. 

"Noona, fighting!" Sungjong piped, and hugged me. I glanced at Sungyeol, and he shrugged. Woohyun stood up in outrage."MUH? How come maknae can hug her, but I can't??" Sungyeol just sent him a sideways glance, and Woohyun snapped his mouth shut. Finally, Sungyeol walked up to me. He tenderly smiled at me, and leaned in. *Ohmygod. What is he doing?* I bit my lip as he kept coming closer. I blinked, and his lips had passed mine. He rested his cheek against mine.

"I told you I'd always be here for you. I'll find you, whenver you're sad. I'll know." Sungyeol straightened back up, and smiled brightly. Sohee poked me, and winked, indicating that she knew what was going on. I felt my cheeks flare. Sunggyu stood up, and his eyes were filled with adventure.

"Ok, now that she's feeling better, LET'S GO HAVE SOME FUN!" Woohyun whooped, and Dongwoo followed Sunggyu's lead, and walked out the door. Sungjong tugged at Sungyeol's hand, and Sungyeol stared down Hoya and L before swinging his arm around Sungjong's neck and following the party. Hoya and L advanced towards me, and each took an arm.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked in bewilderment. 

"Sungyeol took my bamboo pillow." L hissed.

"He took my precious ipod." Hoya muttered with a grudging voice. I stared at both of them, and started laughing. They paused, and smiled as well. Taking a more comfortable hold on me, they hooked their arms through mine, and marched me out the door. I looked back, and saw Woohyun draping his arm around Sohee. My heart elated at the thought of all of Sungyeol's friends taking care of me, and realized that they were my friends too.