Lee Sungyeol

Heartbeat

I took my time, placing all my notes in my backpack, and hardly realized that the boy was still sitting beside me, analyzing my every move. I sighed.

" That's such a sad sigh." I yelped, my hand flying to my heart. 

"Oh, did I startle you? Mianhae". The boy reached out, then uncertainly pulled back, as if he wasn't sure if he should touch me or not. 

"T-that's fine. I was just zoning out." Nervously chuckling, I stood back up, smoothed my skirt, and walked around him, trying to get out of this awkward situation as fast as possible.

"Wait! I'll walk you home." 

I froze, and turned slowly, stunned. Surely, I had misheard. I cocked my head to the side, and repeated the question I thought I heard.

" You. Want.To.Take.Me.Home?" 

" Of course. Its courtesy. I startled you, and I want to repay you. You seemed like you had seen a ghost." The boy chuckled sweetly, then extended his hand again.

"My name is Lee Sungyeol, nice to meet you."

After a few moments of hesitation, I slipped my hand into his, and smiled gently. 

"I'm Hye Mi. Nice to meet you too. But you don't have to take me home. I get startled easily, and if all the people that had scared me in the past repayed me, I'd be rich." I smiled, satisfied with my response, and turned to leave. 

 

*Hye Mi...* Sungyeol mused, replaying their meeting. She's interesting. Her smile.. it seems forced. Shrugging, sungyeol swung his bag over his shoulders, and walked out, texting his friends to meet up.

 

 

Arriving at my "home", I somberly looked at the old fashioned, rugged house. * Imagine sungyeol walking me here, to this piece of shambles.* I shook the thought out of my mind, convinced that there would be no way he would even know about me, and where I live. Sighing, I trudged to my room. Closing the door behind me, I returned to my desk, and sagging down, I began to daydream once again. 

 

        "Hye Mi! Hye Mi! Try to catch me!" A boy of 6 laughed heartily, and beamed, waving his hand, and turning around to run.

         I watched him lovingly, taking in his baby face, his cheeks flushed with delightful pink. His eyes sparkled, reflecting joy and     playfulness. 

         "Noona! Hurry up!" The boy sounded farther away, still running. " Catch me! Catch me if you can!"

         "I'm coming jin gook! Don't run too far!" I started to jog, laughing, trying to catch up to my brother. But somehow, he just kept getting further and further away.

         "Jin Gook! Wait for noona! Don't run too far!" I sped up, determined to catch him, but it wasn't possible. With every step I took, Jin Gook got farther and farther. When my legs couldn't continue on, my lungs continued.

"JIN GOOK! JIN GOOK WHERE DID YOU GO?"

 

I took a sharp breath, and hurriedly swiped at the tears streaming down my face. Reality snuck its way back, and I was faced with the daunting task of saving my brother. I dug into my homework, skipping dinner altogether. When I had finally finished, I opened the drawer, and pulled out my transcript. I had tried to write a novel, and had figured, if I could get published, I could get the money needed to help my brother lead the life he was supposed to have.