Beginning

Heartbeat

I wretched my eyes away from the sea of papers flowing on my desk, and scanned the dirty room I call home. Orphaned as a child, I found a way to survive, and after finding a job during the summer, kept my brother in the hospital. At the thought of my brother, my heart squeezed tightly. I looked at the door, taking in the new uniform and pristine books I had purchased for highschool. I'd be taking on a new challenge tomorrow, and I had no idea how to approach it. I stood up slowly, and walked over to the only window of the house. Staring at my reflection, I smirked in disgust. Eye bags, sloppy hair, and ragged clothes I had worn for weeks on end. Not that it mattered, anyways. I had vowed to never love a man, and my appearance was just an advantage. Sighing deeply, I walked over to the broken sofa, and closed my eyes, pulling myself into a deep slumber of pain. 

 

The next morning, I smoothly pulled on my uniform, and stepped out the room into the beautiful sun. A smile broke on my face, and I reminded myself that no one could see me as a weakling. Straightening up, I marched towards Woollim High. At the gates, a hundred faces filled my mind as I let my eyes wander the school. I fell into my usual daydream, yearning for my brother to be able to see the sun, and only the sharp toll of the bell stirred me from my greatest wish. I pasted the smile back on, and rushed to my first class. 

 

Walking into the class, I was mentally prepared to recieve the attacks of stares from my classmates. They had known me since childhood, but none had tried to approach me. The thought of being without parents astonished them, and kept them away from me. Finding a seat near the window, I continued my interrupted dream in the courtyard. Minutes later, I felt a piercing stare, and ly to be greeted by a gorgeous face belonging to a boy I had never met. 

"Annyeong" Greeted the boy, his lips curling up into a smile.

" A-annyeong" I managed, astonished that he had spoken to me. I felt a strange heat in my cheeks, and quickly looked back out the window, waiting until the teacher came in. The mysterious boy did not attempt another conversation, and I focused solely on the lesson, and was relieved when the bell tolled again, signaling the end of class.