In Your Debt

Heartbeat

Swinging hands, Sungyeol and I entered the hospital. We took the elevator up, and stepped out into the hallway. I squinted my eyes at the three figures whispering together. I recognized the boy's careless manner of walking, and the style of the other. 

"Sohee? Jiho?.......Minki?" I called out, unsure of the last person. Three heads whipped back, and their face was filled with sympathy. Worry immediately panged in my heart. I rushed forwards.

"Jiho? Did you go see Jin Gook?" I asked in alarm. He shook his head. 

"We didn't want to take Minki in without your consent. But we peeked through the door." He nodded at Sungyeol who just caught up. My eyes drifted over to Minki.

"Um..hey. I just wanted to see your brother. I..want to help him too. After all I did to this, this seems only fit." Minki stumbled. Shock was the first emotion I felt. Minki never stumbled. Then I softened.

"Of course. Jin Gook would be happy to see you." I gave a small smile, and led the way to his room. I felt myself weaken when I saw Jin Gook in bed. He had tubes in his arms. Sohee wrapped her arm around me, but I barely felt her attempt to comfort me. I staggered forwards until I was at his bedside, and already I felt my throat closing up.

"Jin Gook-ah..noona's here." My voice wavered. His eyes opened, and he slowly turned his head. It seemed like it took a lot of effort, but he smiled at me, and at the crowd behind me.

"Annyeong, hyungs, and noona." He greeted. His mouth formed a small 'o' in question at Minki. I mananged to compose myself.

"This is Minki noona. She's a good friend of mine, and wanted to see you." I smiled a bit at how easily it was to call her a friend. Minki stepped forward, and waved.

"Annyeong!" She said cheerfully. Jin Gook laughed. He tugged at my hand, which was enclosed around his.

"Noona! Noona don't be sad. I'm ok." He tried to reassure me. I felt the tidal wave of tears threaten to break down my composure, but I nodded.

"I know you're ok. Our Jin gook is a fighter." I said in admiration, swallowing the tears. The tubes just horrified me. 

"Hey there buddy." Jiho dipped down in a quick bow, earning another struggled giggle from Jin Gook. I saw Jiho wink, but thought nothing of it. We sat in comfortable silence, Sungyeol's hand placed lightly on my shoulder. Suddenly, the machine regulating Jin Gook's heart condition started beeping. Nurses ran in, and we shrunk back against the window as the nurses checked his heartrate, and a needle was presented. My breath left me and I whirled around, unable to watch. Sungyeol gripped me hard, and my hand was being held by, surprisingly, Minki. The nurses left eventually, faces full of understanding as I cowered against Sungyeol, unable to look at the needles and tubes. When the door closed, I closed my eyes, forcing myself to recompose. 

"Noona?" Jin gook's voice sounded more frail. I slowly turned, and sat down beside him. Jin Gook raised his hand, and I held onto it tightly, wishing that if I held on tight enough, he would be saved. 

"Noona, I know you want to help me. But don't." Jin Gook pouted at me. My throat burned.

"Noona has to help you." I croaked. The truth I had to tell him hurt so much I couldn't tell him I wouldn't be able to see him after the surgery. 

"No you don't." Jin Gook said, a bit of mischief in his voice. My eyes widened at his crude joking. But I felt someone turn me around. Jiho bent down towards me.

"No, you don't. Because we found a doner." He said, the ends of his mouth tugging upwards. I stayed frozen in my seat, not breathing. No, it wasn't true. They were playing a cruel joke. I scanned the faces of everyone. Sohee held up a thumbs up, and Minki nodded. Finally, my eyes rested back to Jiho.

"We found one. And he wants to meet you." He whispered. The spell that bound me to the seat was gone, and I jumped up, tearing flooding my face. I crushed Jiho into a bone crushing hug.

"Oh..Jiho...T-thank you so much.." I cried into his chest. He chuckled, and soothingly rubbed my back.

"As much as I love taking the credit, I can't." He slowly pulled me away from him, and I threw myself at Sohee and Minki, whose angelic giggles stopped the flow of tears.  I felt like I could finally live. Without any guilt. Last but not least, I approached Sungyeol, who watched me with soft eyes. 

"Thank you." I said simply, but put every ounce of gratitude I had into that single word. He cocked his head, and opened his arms. I stumbled into them, and felt a new warmth. I wasn't going anywhere anymore. 

"Everyone..thank you. I owe you my life."