Transfer?

Heartbeat

Sungyeol walked into an empty classroom, and shut the door. I numbly sat at a desk, and stared at the window, my heart clenching at Minki's words. Sungyeol kneeled down infront of me, and took my hands.

"I'm sorry I came so late." Sungyeol apologized. I looked at him, and cracked a tiny smile. I shook my head.

"No, you saved me. Really. If you hadn't come..I don't know.." My voice trailed off. I bit my lip again as sobs threatened to escape. I blinked my eyes quickly to push back the tears. Sungyeol soothingly rubbed my knee. I knew he had tons of questions to ask me, but he didn't push it. When I was ready, I took a deep breath.

"She hates me." I whispered, barely audible. Sungyeol nodded his head. 
"She's only doing this because..she thinks I'm getting to close to Jiho." I said the name in disgust, yet a part of me was regretful that I had slapped him. Sungyeol nodded.

"Jiho..that bastard." Sungyeol muttered. I felt his hand ball into a fist. He took a deep breath, and met my eyes.

"I know you wouldn't want me to kill him." Sungyeol dryly joked. I stared at him in shock, thinking he was serious. I saw a twinkle of joke return to his eyes. He unclenched his fist, and cupped my face slightly. At his touch, my cheek flared, but I kept my breathing in pace. He wiped the last tear streaks from my face. 

"I really hate it when you cry." Sungyeol murmured. I remembered the times I had cried infront of him, and smiled. 

"How did you know?" I whispered. Sungyeol shot me a queer look.

"How did I find you?" Sungyeol asked. I nodded.

"Don't you trust your firefighter?" Sungyeol snorted. He rested his arms on my legs, and peered up at me.

"I had a gut feeling you needed help, and I saw the posters, and I just ran straight to your locker." Sungyeol confessed. He gazed at me for a long time.

"I don't know what it is, but when it comes to you, my body takes over." Sungyeol cocked his head and smiled. I started to cheer up, and poked his forehead. I heard a knock on the door, and someone entered. I turned around, and saw Sohee's shakened figure. She refused to meet my eyes.

"Hye Mi..." She breathed. I stood up and walked over to her. Without thinking, I just wrapped my arms around her. I felt her body become rigid, then relax slowly. She burst into sniffles and crys.

"I'm..so sorry..it's all my fault.. Minki..I shouldn't have countered against her." Sohee cried into my shoulder. I patted her back.

"No, it's not your fault." I reassured her. Sohee pulled back, and swiped at her tears. She cracked a tiny smile.

"God, I bet my mascara is running." Sohee chuckled. I gently pushed her hand aside and wiped hee cheeks, erasing her tears. Sohee beamed, and hugged me.

"I chose the right best friend." Sohee giggled. I turned back to Sungyeol, and saw that he was furiously texting on his phone. He looked up when Sohee stopped laughing.

"Everything's done." Sungyeol smirked. I blinked at him.

"What's done?" I asked, taking in Sungyeol's smirk.

"Oh, you'll see." Sungyeol placed his hand on my head briefly.

"I think it's best that you and I stay by Hye Mi's sides at all times, for now." Sungyeol said to Sohee. Sohee nodded her head, and hooked her arm with mine.

"Kaja~ Let's go to gym class!" Sohee pulled my arm, and I waved at Sungyeol one last time before leaving. 

 

I trudged to school the next day. Yesterday, as soon as Sohee and I entered the gym, snickers and insults were being thrown our way. Sohee hurled insults back, and always kept me going, but I wasn't sure how long she could keep it up. They were unsulting her too, and I couldn't help her. Warily glancing around, I saw no one at my locker. I twirled the combination on my locker, and pulled it open. I scanned the locker for my sneakers, and found them on the top ledge. Furrowing my eyebrows, I tried to remember why they were there. With a sigh, I realized that Sungyeol had took them from my hands and stored them at the top, where he could easily reach. I stepped onto my tippy-toes, and reached for it, only to be short an inch. I rocked back on my heels, and tried again. I closed one eye in concentration, and inched a bit higher. Just as I was about to reach it, a toned arm reached out and grabbed it for me. I fell back in surprise, and landed on a sturdy and warm chest. For some reason, the chest felt familiar. I looked up, and gaped when I saw Myungsoo's handsome face looking down at me. I quickly straightened up, and grabbed the shoes from him.

"What are you doing here?" I sputtered, still unsure if I was hallucinating or not.

"Hello to you too." Myungsoo chuckled. He pointed to himself. My mouth fell open when I saw his uniform was the same as mine. 'Woollim High' was emblazed at the side of his shirt. 

"You..transferred..here?" I squeaked, my voice going up an octave when I remembered all the photos Minki had of him and I. Myungsoo nodded, and pointed to his time-table.

"It says here..I'm in Mr. Kang's Math class." He looked at me expectantly. 

"you..you're in my math class.." I managed. Myungsoo held out his hand for a high-five. I weakly hit his hand, and leaned against my locker.

"Why the pale face? Are you sick?" Myungsoo asked in concern. He leaned in and put his hand on my forehead. My eyes popped out as his action, and pushed it away.

"Aha..yes I'm fine. Oh! There's the bell. I'm going to class. See you..in..math!" I rushed, and sprinted down the hall. I leaned against a wall, and took deep breaths. *It's going to be alright. It's just Myungsoo.* I exhaled, and walked into the biology class. I sat down at my seat near the window, and placed my bag on the seat beside me. No one ever sat next to me, and I doubted that it'll ever change. The teacher came in, and I opened my notebook.

"We have a new addition to the class today." Ms. Lin announced. I continued flipping through my notebook. A new student? Doesn't have anything to do with me, the loser of the school. 

"Welcome to Biology, Jang Dongwoo." My head snapped up, and I dropped my pen in shock. Dongwoo stepped into the class, and scanned the room. His eyes landed on me, and he brightened. 

"Annehaseyo, my name is Jang Dongwoo. Please treat me well." Dongwoo bowed to the class. Murmers of delight from the girls made my stomach squeeze. 

"Alright Dongwoo, please take a seat at any table." Ms. Lin walked back to her desk. Girls with empty seat-mates quickly made room for him. Dongwoo walked slowly down the aisle. I looked down at my page, praying to God that he wouldn't sit with me. 

"Excuse me." Dongwoo cleared his throat. I slowly opened my eyes, and looked at him. He pointed to my bag.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked, his lips curling into a dashing smile. 

"N-no." I stuttered. *babo* I cursed myself. I took my bag off the chair and placed it on the ground. Dongwoo hopped onto the stool. I felt the laser glares of the girls, and laid my head on my arms. I felt something slide underneath my arm, and sat up. It was a note.

Don't be like that..it'll make me sad

I sighed, and looked at Dongwoo. He waved brightly, and scooted his chair closer to mine. A gasp rippled through the girl population of the class, and I sighed.

"What are you doing?" I hissed. Dongwoo looked at me innocently.

"I'm in biology class." Dongwoo answered. I rolled my eyes.

"Don't lie to me, Jang Dongwoo. Why.Are.You.Here." I emphasized every word. Dongwoo shifted his eyes, and I caught it.

"Something's going on, isn't it." I pressed. He opened his notebook, and tried to ignore me. I blew my bangs. * You aren't getting away that easily.* I leaned in close to him.

"Dongwoo, please tell me." I begged. He sighed, and looked at me.

"I promised Sungyeol I wouldn't say anything." He answered, looking at me. I sighed, and focused my attention back to the teacher. I felt my arm being poked, and shot Dongwoo an annoying glance.

"Don't be made, Hye Mi. My reason for being here isn't for you to be upset." Dongwoo smiled sheepishly. I slightly softened-I had no idea what was going on, but I felt warm thinking that he came here for me. I drew a little doodle on his notebook. He flashed me his gummy smile. I found it easier to ignore the glares from the girls by just enjoying my time with Dongwoo. When the class had ended, Dongwoo's notebook page was filled with random doodles and notes. I cleaned up my backpack. 

"Where's your next class?" Dongwoo absently asked. I narrowed my eyes. It seemed that he knew my next class, but was trying to be less suspicious. I played along.

"P.E With Sohee." I held up my sneakers. Dongwoo nodded. 

"I'll walk you there." He offered. I nodded, and smiled. We chatted down the halls. I noticed that Dongwoo was tensed.

"Wae? What's wrong?" I asked, watching his eyes dart back and forth. He shook his head. 

"We're almost there..you ca-" I was pulled into Dongwoo's chest harshly. I heard cursing, and fearfully looked back. A group of boys shuffled off with what looked like a loaded water gun. Dongwoo pulled back.

"Let's go." He slung his arm around my shoulder and walked to the gym. I turned and waved half-heartedly at Dongwoo. He saluted me, and walked off. I entered the change rooms, and Sohee was already there. She waved me over, and after I changed, head to the fields. Most students were already crowded around the teacher, and we joined the group, careful not to stand too close to anyone.

"We have a couple of new students today." The teacher began. I froze. No way. 

"We have, Nam Woohyun, and Kim Sunggyu." The teacher introduced the new students. Sohee gasped, and weaved herself through the crowd, with me following. Minki and her new devilish group were huddling close to Woohyun and Sungjong. Sohee narrowed her eyes at Minki, then shoved past her group.

"Sunggyu oppa?" Sohee gasped.

"Hey Sohee!" He smiled. I stared at him.

"Uh..Sunggyu..oppa." I finished, seeing the glare on Sunggyu's face when I forgot the 'oppa' part. I cleared my throat, and started again.

"Why are you here?" I asked, appalled. Sunggyu's eyes glinted, but he didn't answer. Woohyun snapped his fingers infront of Sohee's face.

"Yah Yah Yah. I'm here too you know." He furrowed his eyebrows. Sohee glanced at Woohyun for 2 seconds, and looked away. Woohyun's mouth fell open, and he tugged on Sunggyu.

"Hyung! Aren't I handsome?" He whined.

"Yes, yes you are." Sunggyu soothed, though rolling his eyes. Sohee pulled me aside.

"What's going on?" Her voice trailed off when she saw girls swooning over Woohyun. I thought about Myungsoo and Dongwoo also being here.

"I..I don't know. I saw Myungsoo and Dongwoo too." I whispered. Sohee's eyes enlarged to the size of saucers. She opened to speak, but the teacher blew the whistle. We huddled close to the teacher.

"We have a challenge with the other class today!" Mr. Kim shouted. A whoop erupted from the boys, and the girls groaned at the competition. We watched as the other class filed onto the field, and I almost choked on my water when I saw who was on the other team.

"Yo." Hoya saluted, and walked up to us. Woohyun and Sunggyu greeted him cheerfully, leaving Sohee and I gaping at them. Hoya waved us over.

"How's it going, Hye Mi?" He asked casually, but I sensed concern in his voice.

"I'm fine.." I answered cautiously. Hoya nodded, and waved before running back to his class.