Minki's past

Heartbeat

Jiho shuffled closer, and Minki whimpered. He froze. I gave Jiho an apologetic look. He hadn't asked to be wrapped up in all this chaos. He stepped back, but didn't leave. Sohee seemed to be fighting herself. Her face was painted with terror and grief, but her body was still stiff. I knew I couldn't comfort Minki. She had practically broke down when I approached her. I laid my hand on Sohee's shoulder.

"She needs you." I said quietly. Sohee stiffly nodded. She extended her hand.

"Minki..Minki what's wrong?" She stumbled. MInki looked up with eyes filled with fear.

"Sohee. Make them stop. Please. I don't want to feel it again." She wrapped her arms around her, gripping herself so hard her knuckles turned pale. Panic rose in me. This wasn't normal. Minki wasn't like this. Sohee seemed to feel the same way.

"No one is going to hurt you. We're at the school. It's just me. Hye Mi. and Jiho oppa." Sohee pointed to herself, me, and Jiho. Minki's eyes flew wildly, glancing at me for a split second, and moving to Jiho. Her eyes only seemed to linger on Sohee. 

"Minki.. calm down. It's alright. There's no one here that wants to hurt you." Sohee soothed. Minki seemed to calm down. Her ragged breaths turned longer, and more even. Sohee took it as encouragement, and moved closer. Minki flung herself into her arms. I blinked as I realized I wasn't needed. I stood up, and backed away. I watched with a slight pain in my chest when I saw Sohee patting her head, and embracing her. Sohee was Minki's friend first. I felt disgusted with myself for feeling angry. Jiho stood beside me, and squeezed my hand.

"We should go." He whispered. I silently agreed. Sohee whispered words of encouragment to Minki, who nodded, more composed. 

 

 

I was sitting on a bench outside with Jiho, making small conversations. I could tell he was distracted, and I couldn't stop my mind from drifting to Minki. What happened?

"I feel horrible." Jiho said suddenly. I was startled, and looked at him, confused.

"I raised my hand to her too. And I remember she broke apart. But I just left her there. I did nothing to help her." His eyes squeezed shut, and his fists were clenched. I softened. No matter how tough he looked, there was such a tenderness in him, it hurt to see him in pain.

"No Jiho, it's not your fault. You didn't know." I tried to comfort him.

"No. I..I was too upset that she hurt you. I didn't WANT to help  her." He said miserably. I reached over and took his hand. I unclenched his fist, and set it back on his lap.

"Don't blame yourself for this. It'll just make everything worse." I advised gently. I heard footsteps, and turned. My eyes widened as I took in Sohee walking towards us, Minki beside her. Sohee's arm was around Minki. I stood up.

"Minki..are you alright?" I gasped. Minki cringed away, and I froze.

"Don't. You're making me feel even worse." Minki muttered. Sohee chuckled gently. I looked at her, shocked. How could she be smiling?

"Minki want to say something." Sohee said softly. I noticed a new feel of respect in Sohee's voice. My eyes flickered back to Minki, who looked to be in deep pain. I stepped away from the bench.

"You can sit down if you like." I offered. Jiho didn't move, and Minki gratefully sat down next to him. She made no movement in hugging him. She just sat there, staring off in the distance.

"Minki.." Sohee pressed lightly. Minki took a deep breath.

"Hye Mi.." She croaked. I stood there, rooted to the ground. She had said my name. Not used profanity. But my name.

"Yes?" I squeaked. She patted the space next to her. I gingerly sat down, and clasped my hands together on my lap. 

"I..want to explain what happened to me that triggered my..meltdown." Minki said slowly. I waved my hands infront of me.

"You don't have to! If it makes you uncomfortable. I don't min-" Minki cut me off with her piercing eyes.

"I wasn't like this before." Minki started.
"I..I was always cheerful. I had real friends. Sohee was my best friend. But I moved to China with my parents. And..and.." Minki blinked back hot tears. Jiho scooted closer, and opened his arms. Minki stared at him quizzically.

"Shouldn't you be jumping up and down with joy? I'm letting you hug me." He lightly joked. But his eyes were sympathetic. Minki didn't hug him, but rested her head on his shoulder.

"I didn't know any mandarin. My parents had told me that I'd learn eventually. But it was so hard. Going to school, and not understanding. I had to take language courses in my own time. But I wasn't mad. This would be a great chance for me to learn. I wanted to please my parents, and maybe..just maybe, they'd consider moving back to Korea, if they saw I was dedicated. So I stayed at the school library late at nights, reading book after book, trying to remember all the characters ,and how to pronounce them. But one nigh-"Minki broke off, and took a shaky breath. Sohee kneeled infront of Minki, and took her trembling hands.

"Let it out, Minki." Her voice cracked as she fought back sobs. I knew it was hard for Sohee to hear this.

"I was walking home. I was surprised it was so late already. The streets were almost deserted. I felt uneasy, but decided to walk home anyways, instead of calling my parents. When I had passed the stores, I turned into the narrow streets. That's when I heard footsteps following me. I tensed, but didn't want to make it too obvious. I quickened my pace slightly, but the footsteps kept coming. I felt myself become cold with fear, until I started sprinting. But I didn't make it far.

I dug into my pockets, and tried to dial 9-1-1. I tried to scream, but big hands covered my mouth. He knocked me down, and my phone clattered away from me. I wasn't sure if I had finished dialing or not. I was dizzy, and scared out of my mind. I heard a deep rumble. The man turned me over, and I was laying flat on the ground, him ontop of me. I opened my mouth to scream, but he rammed his hand against my mouth. His eyes were dangerous. He leaned in, and bit my neck. That's when I knew what was happening. I struggled underneath him, but he pinned me down. Using his other hand, he ed my jacket.

Every part of my body screamed in protest. I managed to free my hand, and tried to hit him. In response, he removed the hand covering my mouth, and grabbed my wrist. With my mouth free, I screamed again. The man laughed for some reason. Then he turned scary again, and he raised his arm to me. He brought his hand down, slapping my face. I lost myself then. The force of the slap sent me into paralyzation. I couldn't even cry. I couldn't cry for this monster. But I became limp. He smiled, and continued undressing me. I felt like dying. I thought I heard sirens, but I couldn't think. But suddenly, the man cursed, and jumped up. He ran. I stayed where I was, too raw to do anything. I attempted to   pull my shirt back down, but my hands felt like rubber. Then friendly, concerned faces came into view. One man picked me up lightly, and I buried my face in his chest. I cried, and cried. When I arrived at the doorstep of my house, my parents were crying. They took me in, promising to move back. But it didn't matter anymore. I was broken. I didn't have anything left. So I decided to hide it away, and become someone different. Maybe I looked too innocent. I wanted to be dangerous, so that people would be scared of me.." Minki shuddered, and suddenly, Sohee was tightly hugging Minki.

"Oh, babo. Why..you should have told us..we were your friends. We would have listened to you.." Sohee cried into Minki's shoulders. I could see that Minki was near tears too. But she turned her head to me.

"I'm sorry Hye Mi...so sorry. I hurt you so much. I'm sorry." Minki kept saying. I shook my head lightly.

"It's fine, Minki..I forgive you." I said. At those words, Minki's shoulders slumped with relief. She allowed herself to hug Sohee back, and I smiled slightly, catching the glance of Jiho.