Firefighter

Heartbeat

It was raining the next day, and I scurried into the school. After brushing water droplets off my uniform, I took off to my locker. Again, I noticed a sticky note posted on my locker. Rolling my eyes, I walked towards it. I yanked it off. My eyes widened, and before I could react, I felt a cold splash. 

"." I didn't even have to look up to know it was Minki. I dismally looked at my now soaking skirt and legs. My hands were clenched to my side, and I glared at her with hate.

"What was that for?" I snapped, and reached into my backpack for tissues. I heard Minki cluck her tongue, and stopped searching.

"What a fool. This idiot doesn't even have short term memory." Minki snickered at her own joke. She closed in on me. 

"I thought I made it very cleart to you yesterday that you shouldn't get in Jiho oppa's way." Minki sneered into my face. I closed my eyes in disgust.

"I didn't get in anyone's way." I protested. Minki flipped her hair behind her shoulder.

"Liar. I saw you yesterday throwing yourself at him, you disjusting slug." I scrunched my eyebrows together. This girl was insane.

"Look. I didn't do anything. So can you PLEASE let me start my day in peace." *Not that it's peaceful anymore* I thought sullenly. Minki snorted again, and jabbed her manicured nail onto my chest. I refused to wince, but I had to admit, those nails were dangerous. 

"If I see you again with oppa, I won't hold back." Minki stared at me, then spat on my shoe. I stared at her in disbelief. What was she? A llama? I looked down and saw the girl wiping my shoe again.

"It seems like you are prepared to wipe the spit off my shoe." I chuckled. The girl smiled back.

"Mianhae. This is the best I can do." She finished wiping, and stood up. I looked closely at her, and saw no evil on her face. 

"Let's introduce ourselves. My name is Sohee." Sohee held out her free hand, and I stared at it as if it was an alien. This was the first time someone wanted to be my friend, apart from Sungyeol. I felt a surge of relief that maybe I wasn't as socially unacceptable than I thought. Sohee, sensing my hesitation, grabbed my hand, and placed it in hers. She lightly shook it, and smiled. I looked at her, and noticed how pretty she was. I returned the smile.

"Annyeong, my name is Hye Mi." I longed to have a girlfriend I could talk to. Jin Gook was close, but I would never be able to spill everything to him as I would with a girl. Sohee grinned again, and looked down the hall.

"I should go. Minki will be suspicious." Sohee released my hand, and walked down the hall. I looked down at my dry shoes, and smiled some more. I dried my skirt as much as possible, and skipped to class. Sitting in my seat, I didn't even greet Sungyeol. I propped my hand against the table, and began to daydream. 

 

                  "HYE MII" Sohee squealed. She embraced me warmly, and pulled back to examine me. I chuckled as she clucked her tongue at my sense of fashion. Spinning me left and right, she clucked her tongue in disapproval. 

               " You need some help, Hye Mi. Let me, your fashionista, help you." Sohee beamed, and pointed to herself. She was beautiful. She wasn't incredibly thin, but I liked that about her. She didn't find the need to be slim as a stick. She loved floral patterms, and her outfit was adorned with intricate patterns. She carried a tan shoulder bag, that complimented her creamy blouse. Her hair was styled in ringlets, and highlighted her cute dipples, and shiny eyes. She was the opposite of me, and I loved her. She grabbed my hand and babbled about the things she would buy me, to "save" my life. I gladly walked with her, intrigued by her eye for fashion. After an hour, I was holding 2 bags of new clothes. I would have killed her if they weren't on sale. Thinking we were going home, I was surprised to see her heading to a toy store. *Aren't I too old for toys? Are those for her?* I knew she was an only child. When I caught up to her, she held up a racecar. 

                      "Do you think Jin Gook would like this?" She held out another car, and compared them. I felt a wave of gratitude, and knew at once that she was going to fight my battle with me. I helped her pick out some toys, and she asked the cashier to wrap them nicely. I held out my hand for her to give me the box of toys, but she slapped me hand away.

                " I will give them to Jin Gook myself. Let's visit him next week, alright, bestie?" Sohee placed a date on her phone, and snapped it shut. She hooked her arm in mine, and we walked back to the subway, laughing and chatting. 

 

 I snapped back to reality, and sighed. Sungyeol shook his head.

" You really like to knock out of reality, don't you?" I looked at him, and nodded. Sungyeol knew I liked to daydream, but I guess he didn't know that it was my safe haven. The teacher had stopped pestering Jiho, and I was beginning to pity the teacher also. He needed his job, and even if he wanted to give Jiho a good beating, his life depended on his humiliation as a powerless teacher. After class, I headed off to P.E. When I opened my locker, a disgusting scent blasted me in the face. Coughing, I swatted at the air, and plugged my nose. I peered into my locker, and saw with a sinking heart that my gym strip was covered in cafeteria garbage. I heard a snicker, and whirled around.

"Like that smell, Loser? Well, get used to it. That's what you smell like to us." Minki plugged her nose, and walked off. I met eyes with Sohee, and she darted close to me.

"Mianhae. I tried to stop her. She was going to dump toilet water, but I convinced her that this was..'better'" Sohee quoted in the air. I smiled a bit in gratitude. She was doing the best she could to soften Minki's attacks. Sohee darted back to Minki, and I faced my locker. I had no choice but to wear my ruined gym strip. My face burned with hatred. I had bought these clothes with my hard-earned money, and now it was in ruins. I had the urge to let me anger free, but I told myself that being angry wouldn't help. Trudging onto the field, everyone snickered as they pointed to me.

"Garbage dump. Hey, trash can! Come over here so I can throw away my wrappers!" Hollered one boy. I rolled my eyes, and walked in the other direction. For some reason, I felt crushed. I didn't understand. When roll call began, the P.E teacher distastefully glanced at my strip, and told me to change into a extra sports jersey. I obliged, and sprinted back to the school, feeling my eyes sting. I wasn't sure if I was crying, or if it was the wind. When I entered the school again, I wiped the tears off my face, and walked back to the gym office. When I rounded the corner, i bumped into Jiho. I bit my lip in embarrassment and lowered my head. I didn't try to escape, knowing he'd block my way. Hearing no insults, I looked up, hoping I bumped into someone else. But it was Jiho. I thought I saw sympathy in his eyes, but it disappeared under his jerky complexion.

"Wow, what do we have here, Kittycat? It's not good to scrouge for food in the garbage can." He grabbed my chin.

"You can always ask me for food. Oppa will get you milk, and everything you want." I didn't know I could hate someone so much. I tore away, and ran away from him. Now, for sure, I knew I was crying. Instead of going to the office, I rounded another corner, and sat down in a corner. I rested my head on my knees, and sobbed. Everything Sungyeol had filled me up with disappeared as the tears ripped everything away from me. I was broken again, and for a stupid reason. I was used to bullying. But Sungyeol had softened my guard, and now I was open for attacks. My cries heightened, and then I felt myself being crushed in an embrace. I struggled, but the person held on.

"Hye Mi, it's me. It's alright. I'll stay right here until you feel like going." Sungyeol soothingly rubbed my back. I cried harder, and gripped his back. God had sent me an angel, but cursed me. Gradually, my sobs subsided, and the only sounds left were my hiccups. I pulled back from Sungyeol.

"M-mianhae. I smell horrible. Mianhae" I bowed my head, full of shame. Sungyeol lifted my chin, and I flashed back to Jiho. He had also grabbed my chin, but Sungyeol did it in such a tender way. I looked into his eyes.

"Hye Mi-ah. You don't have to be sorry. Ever. I'll always be here for you." Sungyeol wiped the remaining tears from my face. 

"I think I should take you to my friends again. We hung with them last time, and you cheered right back up. I gave a tiny smile, and felt Sungyeol's magic working again. I sniffled.

"How did you find me?" I asked, leaning on the wall. Sungyeol sat beside me and looked forward. After a few moments, he responded.

"I'm not sure. But I had a feeling. I heard a..bell." He turned, and looked at me.

"A bell?" I thought it was a joke, and smiled.

"Really. It was like an emergency bell. I heard it, and it led me to you." Sungyeol reached over and covered his hand over mine. It felt comfortable, and I blushed deeply. 

"Hye Mi-ah. Just know that, whenever you need help, I'll find you. Don't panic, just wait for me." He leaned his head on the wall, and gazed at me. I closed my hand over his, and leaned my back back against the wall, holding his gaze.