Decision

Heartbeat

After making sure Jin Gook was asleep, I decided to check with the doctor about Jin Gook's condition. As I entered the office, the nurses waved and smiled-they all knew my story. The doctor greeted me at the door, and led me into his office.

"How is Jin Gook doing? Is he getting any better?" The doctor cleared his throat loudly, and I felt my insides freeze over.

"I do not know how to tell you this, but you are running out of time. Jin Gook is in desperate need for a doner, and with less and less people willing to donate for strangers, we are in a dire situation. Jin Gook's heart will soon be incapable of supporting his growing body. And also, I hate to inform you about this now, but the hospital bills are climbing, and we cannot let Jin Gook stay if you cannot pay the bills."

I kept still, and stared past the doctor's head to the window. Would Jin Gook ever see the sun? How long did I have until Jin Gook died without a chance? I straightened up, and made my final decision.

" I will donate my heart to Jin Gook. I am healthy, and will go through all the necessary tests. Just give me a bit more time, and I will ensure the bills are paid. Keep Jin Gook healthy. Please, doctor"

"Are you sure, Hye Mi? Do not make rash decisions. This is not a kidney transplant. You will not make it through the operation. How will your brother live?"

I swallowed deeply, but would not budge from my choice. 

" I am certain. I will not let my brother throw away his life. I beg you, doctor. Take care of Jin Gook a while longer. Kamsahamnida" I quickly stood up, bowed, and walked out, feeling the entire world crash onto my shoulder.

 

Stumbling home, I crashed onto the cold floor. My heart wrenched at every sob, knowing fully well that I was alone. I would never see my brother after the operation, and never be able to hold him in my arms. I felt the hopelessness numb my body, and let my tears flow endlessly through my b eyes, and heard nothing but the pain that I could not bear anymore. Curled up on the floor, I continued to cry, wishing for a miracle.

 

An hour later, I found myself walking the streets of Seoul, aimlessly shuffling past the bright stores, seeing nothing. I heard the faint call of my voice, but never looked back. That wasn't possible. I was slowly losing my mind. When I felt a hand on my arm, I kept my eyes forward, hazed with tears. Then I felt it-a soft material clearing the sea of tears. As my eyes adjusted, I saw an angel's face-Sungyeol's face. He looked so concerned, I wondered why. 

"Why is it, that everytime I see you, you are upset?" Sungyeol furrowed his eyes, and pushed a strand of my hair out of my face. At that one touch, I felt my world tipping. I reeled in shock, and felt again the warm sensation flowing through my body, melting the ice I had felt a few minutes ago. Wide-eyed, I stayed frozen in one spot, and felt the warm sensation burn my cheeks. I clapped my hands over my cheeks in embarrassment.

" What's wrong, Hye Mi? It's not good to keep pain locked up. I'm not asking you to tell me everything, but if you want to cry, cry on my shoulder. When you can't cry any longer, I'll cheer you up."

I had never heard anything more sweet. I lowered my head, and began to cry once more. Sungyeol closed the gap between us, and rested my head on his shoulder while whispering words of encouragement in my ear. Sobs turned into sniffles, and then it stopped altogether.

"Better?" Sungyeol smiled brightly. 

"Ne." I surprised myself by smiling naturally. Sungyeol chuckled. 

"Ok, since you're done, let's go play. You owe me for crying on me." He glanced at me, sure that he had guilt-tripped me. I nodded unsurely, and bit my lip as he took my hand and led me in the opposite direction. Without asking him where we were headed, I felt curiousity filling my mind, pushing the pain and suffering from my head. Eventually, we reached a small restaurant. The moment Sungyeol opened the door, I heard yells of many voices, and stepped back in shock. Sungyeol squeezed my hand in reassurance, and led me in. 6 faces blinked up at me, and I blinked back, before hiding behind Sungyeol.

"Guys, this is Hye Mi. I sit next to her in class, and brought her here to have some fun. Introduce yourselves!"

"Ohhhh, Sungyeol has a girl?" A boy with a charming smile teased. Sungyeol lightly punched his shoulder, then rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"N-no, it's not like that. I saw her on the streets, and she seemed upset, so I brought her here to cheer her up." Sungyeol again beckoned at the boys to introduce themselves.

"Annyeong, I'm Sunggyu, leader of the group. Nice to meet you"

"Yo! My name is Dongwoo, and this is Hoya" Dongwoo pointed to the boy next to him, who had an icy complexion.

"Hello, cutie, my name is Woohyun". He flashed a charming smile. I recognized him as the boy who teased sungyeol. 

"Annyeong. I'm L" A boy with a chiseled face glanced my way, then looked away again.

"And Noona! My name is Sungjong" I felt shock drain my face as the prettiest boy of the group smiled at me, and waved cutely"

"N-n-noona?!?!" I stammered, feeling the alien name slip from my tongue.

"Well, noona is the same grade as Sungyeol hyung, so it means noona is older than me" Sungjong clapped his hands together.

"And you can call us oppas" Sunggyu offered with an eye smile. At those 5 words, I felt my world take an unexpected twist.