Plan

Heartbeat

I got home, and looked at my calendar. Circled and decorted was the day of Jin Gook's birthday. I rested my head on my arms, and twirled my pen in my hand. What should I get Jin gook? I had no time to go gift shopping with school and my two jobs. I dropped the pen in disgust with myself. I couldn't even buy a birthday present for my own brother. I looked up.

"Hey, if you're up here.. mom, dad. I just.." I croaked, and found it harder to speak. I hadn't thought about my parents for months. I didn't want to think of the hurt, and the abandonment I felt when they left Jin Gook and I to bear this world alone.

"I..I'm trying really hard to support Jin Gook, but why is it so hard?" I smiled dryly. I continued.

"I don't know what I'm doing, trying to talk to you but..I..don't know what to do. Please, mom, dad, guide me." I closed my eyes in prayer. Glancing at the calendar, I took out my notebook and scribbled a page full of things Jin Gook would want. I grabbed my wallet, and dared to peek inside. My shoulders drooped when I realized I only had enough money to last me a week for food. I would have to work extra hours to get more spending money for Jin Gook. I decided to get a early night sleep, and ask the manager to let me clean the restaurant after hours tomorrow.

 

Morning classes blew past, and I sat down at an empty lunch table. I took out my notebook, and brainstormed more ideas. Holding out the notebook infront of my face, I furrowed my eyebrows and tried to link up the items I could afford. Suddenly, I felt the notebook being ripped from my hands. Thinking it was Minki, I shot up. Sohee blinked at me, and Sungyeol guffawed.

"Relax, princess." Sungyeol teased, slowly sitting down. Sohee giggled and plopped down next to me. I eyed them suspiciously.

"How..did you guys get so close?" I slowly said, still looking at my notebook in Sungyeol's hand.

"She's your best friend, isn't she?" Sungyeol glanced at me from the notebook. I instinctively nodded. It was true, after all. Sungyeol shrugged.

"Then she's my friend too. Plus.." Sungyeol smirked at Sohee

"Woohyun seems to fancy you quite alot." Sohee spluttered, and gaped at him. Sungyeol's attention drifted to the notebook again. Sohee grabbed it from him, and stuck her tongue out at him.

"It's my turn." Sohee giggled, and scanned the notebook. Her eyes grew more animated. She scooted next to Sungyeol, and started whispering in his ear. He smiled slowly, and nodded whenever Sohee clapped. I tried not to pay attention, and munched on my lunch. Sohee came back, and started eating. I started to feel curious about what they were whispering about, but I didn't want to ask. before I could eat my desert, Sohee pulled me up.

"Let's go, bestie!" Sohee smiled, and continued pulling me. I looked at Sungyeol, hoping he'd help me. Instead, he just held him hand up in farewell, and continued eating. I sighed, and left with Sohee. Sohee dragged me outside, and pushed me down on a bench. Her face turned serious.

"Hye Mi..I don't want to intrude..but I'm genuinely curious and worried." Sohee folded her hands in her lap, and looked at the ground.

"About what?" I asked confused. My heart sank a bit, wondering if she found out where I lived. I was always ashamed of where I spent my nights.

"About..your brother." Sohee breathed. She took my hand. I stared at her, shocked.

"Is..is he ok?" Sohee stuttered. I remained silent. Letting go of my hand, Sohee scooted closer.

"You seem to love your brother alot, but when we went toy shopping, you had this soft, sad expression written all over your face. It worried me. I really want to be your closest friend. I don't want to keep any secrets from you. So please, tell me what's wrong." Sohee clasped her hands together, begging. I turned towards her, eyes misted with tears. No one had ever been so sincere to me. I looked up at the sky, and let the tears slowly brim out of my eyes. *Thank you, mom and dad. For sending me help*. I wiped the tears away, and smiled brightly. 

"My brother..Jin Gook..is in the hospital." I started. Sohee's eyes enlarged, and I paused to see if she would laugh. Instead, she nodded slowly, and sat still.

"He..has a heart condition. He has almost lived his life in the hospital room, but, he never shows signs of pain and suffering from not being able to live with others." I looked into the distance, and smiled.

"Jin Gook, has the purest soul. He loves candy, and just about anything. He especially loves.."I glanced at the school windows.

"He loves the sun. And even though he can't play outside, he sits by the window everyday, watching the sun rise, play among the clouds, and set at night. He never tires from it, isn't that pathetic?" I joked weakly. The tears came back, and I felt the sorrow that I had harbored all these years spill out again. 

"He..never..ever..asked me to buy him anything. He..is..an angel from the heavens." I croaked, my vision now scattered by tears. I felt myself being embraced, and blinked. Sohee had turned me towards her, and was now patting my back. 

"Hye Mi..it's ok. Everything will be ok." Sohee whispered, holding me tighter. I shook slightly with sobs, but Sohee didn't let go. 

"You're brother sounds amazing, Hye Mi. You're so lucky to have someone like Jin Gook in your life." Sohee murmured reassuringly. I slowly nodded my head against her shoulder. Sohee pulled me back, and looked at me seriously. 

"Jin Gook's birthday is coming up, isn't it?" Sohee asked. I was too numb to think about how she knew, but I just nodded again. 

"Then..let us take care of it." Sohee said softly. I looked up. *US?* I opened my mouth to protest. 

"Nope. It's already been decided. Hye Mi, don't you trust us?" Sohee stopped me from talking. She nodded her head towards the school.

"Sungyeol and I..we want to make your brother's birthday amazing. Something he'll cherish forever." I nodded slightly, and Sohee giggled.

"Don't you worry about a thing. Meet us here at the school at 12:00 noon on his birthday, and we'll make sure Jin Gook never forgets us." Sohee pumped her arm. I smiled, and nodded for the hundreth time that day. Sohee gave me one last hug, and stood us both up. 

"Now, let's get back to Sungyeol before he gets lonely." Sohee smiled, and pulled me away. I glanced to my right, and saw Jiho leaning against a pillar of the school. My eyes enlarged. *DID HE HEAR EVERYTHING?*