Friends

Heartbeat

Monday morning, I strode to school, humming lightly, still replaying Saturday's events in my mind. A dreamy smile drew itself on my face, and I found it harder and harder to think about the decision I made. I entered the school, and the usual crowding of the halls had begun. Pouting, I began pushing my way through the crowd, jumping to see over the heads of the taller students. I spotted Sungyeol, tall and proud, and muttered in frustration. Why was I not blessed with height? Not like I was blessed with anything either way. We made eye contact, and he waved cheerfully. As an initial reaction, I looked over my shoulder to see if there was someone else there, waving back to Sungyeol. No one really ever waved to me. When i faced forward again, he was gone. Not even 3 seconds later, someone grabbed me from behind. Emitting a short scream, I whirled around, only to be caught off guard by Sungyeol's face. He erupted into laughter, and pointed to my shocked face. I crossed my arms, and glared at him until his laughs turned into even breaths. Smirking, he copied my posture.

"That's what you get for ignoring me, friend" Sungyeol emphasized the friend part. 

"I thought you were waving to someone else!" I snapped back, still miffed.

"Why would I do that? I was looking RIGHT at you." He retorted, sticking his face inches from mine. I stumbled back in surprise and out of embarassment. 

"fine, mianhae for ignoring you. Can we please just go to class?" I squeaked. Sungyeol straightened back up, and grabbed my hand. 

"Kaja." He said simply. My hand felt warm in his, and felt like it belonged there. I didn't object, but felt dread as I realized that I had let him into my life, and that he cared for me. I would be hurting him soon. I lowered my head in remorse, but didn't let go of his hand. It had felt so good to have support, I was reluctant to let it go. I was selfish, but I could not let myself fall into a pit of black. Sungyeol noticed nothing around my dark mood, and swung our arms until we got to the classroom. He chatted endlessly while I listened, and giggled once in a while. When the teacher came in, I began taking out my books and notebooks and lost all interest in Sungyeol. While I was furiously taking notes, I felt a note slip from under my arm onto my page. Skeptically looking at Sungyeol, I unwrapped it.

"You look so pretty when you're concentrating. :)" Blush crept up my cheeks, and I crumpled up the paper, and leaned back to taking notes, making sure my hair created a curtain between Sungyeol and I. I felt another note, and meekly unwrapped it. This time, I gently smiled.

"Don't do that. I don't like it when you ignore me. I wasn't joking when I said you were pretty." I curled my hair behind my ear, and offered Sungyeol a smile in forgivness. He raised his hand for a high-five, and I slapped his hand. Sungyeol didn't let go. Instead, he lowered our hands beneath the table, and smirked before usig his spare hand to continue writing notes. In no right mind, I also continued, thinking it was just adorable that I was left-handed, and he was right-handed. 

After school, I began my trudge back home. I was still humming, and with all my energy, even had a little dance before I entered my crap neighborhood. I looked at the sky, and beamed, happy that God had given me an angel. My right hand tingled with happiness, and longing for Sungyeol, and nothing mattered at that moment than him. Was this love? I did not want to assume.