Reality

Heartbeat

I awoke to the sound of clicks. Forgetting my arm was in a cast, I tried to wipe my eyes, resulting in a blow to the face. 

"Owww.." I whined. Sungyeol cracked up, and sat beside me. I saw his phone in his hand, and saw a girl on his screen. I looked away with no interest, but just as fast, whirled back to look closely at the girl. It was me, sleeping. I lunged for the phone. Sungyeol held it up high.

"Nu uh, princess." He snickered as I desperately tried to reach higher. 

"Nooooo, taking pictures of me sleeping is rudeeeee." I longated "rude" for effect. Sungyeol shook his head, and lowered my hand.

"No, you look like an angel." He whispered. He stabled my hand on my knee so I couldn't grab the phone, and showed me the photo. My mouth opened slightly. The girl in the photo had long black hair, cascading in curls down her back, ending halfway down her spine. Her head rested on her left arm, hiding the cast on her right. Eyelashes brushed her cheekbones gently, slightly open. There was nothing but peace etched softly in her face. 

"Thats..me?" I could only manage an awed whisper. Sungyeol beamed, and tucked his phone away.

"Of course it is." He patted my head. He stood up, and took the cookies out of the oven. He placed it on the cooling rack, and counted them.

"Why are there 9 cookies?" He asked, confused. I smiled a bit.

"Its for Jiho." I said. Sungyeol's eyes widened. 

"He defended me from Minki, and took me to the nurse's office. This is the least I could do to thank him." I explained. Sungyeol slowly nodded in understanding. I yawned involuntarily.

"You should continue resting. I'll clean up here, and leave." Sungyeol pushed me out the kitchen. I tried to protest, but sleep washed over me, and I could only muster a quick thank you before stumbling into my room, and drifting off into sleep.

 

The next morning, I walked into the kitchen, and saw a box with a note on it. 

You better keep these cookies safe. - Sungyeol

I smiled, and quickly got dressed. I opened the door, and almost dropped the box again.

"Ummaya!" I gasped, and stared at the crowd infront of my house.

"Yo." Hoya put simply. Dongwoo walked up and offered me his hand. Giving him a queer look, I slipped my hand in his, and he pulled me close. 

"Stay with us, and we won't let you get hurt ever again." Dongwoo whispered. Sungjong pushed Dongwoo away, and hooked his arm around my good arm. 

"Kaja, noona!" He beamed. I couldn't say no as he flashed his puppy eyes at me. Once inside the school, Sungjong walked me to my locker, and I glanced around, nervous. Myungsoo patted my shoulder.

"It's alright." He reassured. I nodded, and faced my locker. 

"Hye Mi." I heard Jiho's voice. I turned, and saw Jiho standing a distance away, eyes only on me. *He didn't use the nickname* I realized.

"Let's talk." He requested. Dongwoo scoffed.

"No way in hell are we letting Hye Mi talk to you alone." He squared his shoulders. However, Sunggyu saw the expression on my face.

"Dongwoo, let them talk." Sunggyu placed an arm on Dongwoo, and smiled at me. Gratefully, I squeezed Sunggyu's arm, and walked towards Jiho. He turned, and walked into the courtyard, where he sat down on a bench. He patted to the seat next to him. I sat down, and fiddled with the ribbon on the box.

"How is your hand?" Jiho said, a few moments later. I looked up with curiousity. He cared?

"It's..fine, thank you." I said. Jiho nodded, his face unchanged. The silence that resulted was excruciating.

"Um, this is for you." I suddenly said, and opened the box. I handed Jiho a cookie. His eyes turned amused, and I felt relieved as his frosty complexion melted. He turned it over, and smirked at the sprinkles I had dunked the cookie in. He took a bite, and I felt myself anxious for his verdict. He sighed.

"I've never eaten a cookie baked by a female." He finally said. I stared at him, but he didn't offer anything else. He looked to the side, and chuckled. I followed his line of vision, and saw Sungjong, Dongwoo, and Woohyun peeking from a window while Sunggyu had his hand over his face in disgust, and Myungsoo with his back to the window. Sungyeol walked towards them, coffees in hand, and we met eyes. His gaze fell onto Jiho, and I thought I saw him tense, but it passed, and he waved merrily before also turning his back, and chatting with Myungsoo. 

"Are they your bodyguards or something?" Jiho snickered. I turned defensive.

"They're my friends." I responded smoothly. Jiho peered at me, and nodded. 

"They care for you alot, I can see that." He said, and looked at them again. 

"How do you know?" I questioned. He bit his lip, trying to find the words.

"I can see it on their faces, and how they move around you." He finally said. I cocked my head to the side, confused. He sighed.

"It's like they orbit around you. Whenever you move, they move. Whenever you need something, they're right there." He explained. I slowly nodded, taking in what Jiho said. A cold feeling chilled my bones when I realized I had become too dependant on them. I had become too close to them, put myself in too much of a vulnerable position. What would happen if I told them..I abruptly stood up. Jiho looked at me, startled.

"I have to go." My voice was hard.