Worsening

Heartbeat

My head turned to the clock on the wall. I would be visiting Jin Gook soon. I looked back to the couch, seeing that Dongwoo had fallen asleep again. He had claimed the window washing had exhausted him before mumbling off and drifting into his deep slumber. Sungjong was laughing with Myungsoo, watching something on their phones. Woohyun and Sohee were off in their own world. Sunggyu was nodding off as well, and Hoya was lounging with Sungyeol. I shook my head. Why they didn't leave yet, I didn't know. I wrapped up some left-over pancakes, and heated up the congee I had made for Jin Gook. Placing it in a lunch box, I headed to the bedroom to change. When I came out, everyone was on their feet, including Dongwoo.

"What's going on?" I said warily. Hoya held up the lunch box.

"We're going to see Jin Gook right?" He smiled. My jaw dropped.

"No no, I'm going alone." I shook my head, and walked over to take the lunch box out of Hoya's hand. Panicking, he shoved the lunch box into Sungyeol's hands. Smirking, he held it up above his head. I crossed my arms.

"This isn't funny. Give it." I said between my teeth. I felt Sungjong tug on my sleeve.

"Come on Noona, I want to see Jin Gook too. Jebal?" He whined. I tried to avoid his begging eyes, but couldn't. I felt the will power leave me as his cute eyes got the better of me.

"Fine." I snapped. I trudged out of the house. 

 

I opened the door, and saw Jin Gook, of course, by the window. He was playing with something.

"Jin Gook!" Sunggyu boomed. I couldn't help but notice a brotherly feel to his voice. Jin Gook snapped up, and his eyes widened in delight. He ran over.

"Hyungs!" He shouted gleefully. Sunggyu easily picked Jin Gook up, and held him on his shoulders. Jin Gook coughed.

"Jin Gook? Are you sick?" Woohyun asked, feeling his forehead. I placed the lunch box onto the side table, and flitted to Sunggyu's side. Woohyun's brows were scrunched.

"It feels hot." He said. I felt my spirits sink slightly. My hand replaced Woohyun's.

"You're right. Jin Gook, how are you feeling?" I cooed gently. Jin Gook shook his head.

"I'm Fine!" He enthused, but started coughing again. Sunggyu quickly carried Jin Gook back to his bed, but Jin Gook didn't want to lie down.

"No..hyung, I don't want to lie down. I want to play with hyungs." Jin Gook whined. I felt my breath hitch. He had never complained before.

"Jin Gook, tell noona how you feel. Do you feel weak?" I panicked. I touched his cheek.

"I'm fine noona. I just don't want to lie down anymore." Jin Gook frowned. Hoya interjected.

"How about we play with your toys?" He offered, picking up the car Jin Gook was playing with before we entered. I vaguely noted that I had never seen that car before, but dismissed the topic. It wasn't important. 

"Okay!" Jin Gook nodded cheerfully, but coughed. Sunggyu set him down gently on the bed, and sat down beside him. Sungjong moved onto the bed, climbing on carefully, not to move Jin Gook too much. Dongwoo picked up another toy, and brought it over, with Woohyun right behind. Sohee patted me on the shoulder.

"I'm sure he's fine." She comforted. She approached Jin Gook.

"Jin Gook-ah, are you hungry? Your noona made you food." She said gently. Jin Gook beamed, and nodded. She pinched his cheeks lightly, and opened the lunch box. She took out the spoon, and opened the lid. She looked at me for permission. I nodded mutely.

"Say Ahh~" Sohee cooed. Jin Gook opened his mouth without looking at her-he was too absorbed with all of the other guys placing cars with him. He careened his car around, earning chuckles from Dongwoo. The door opened and closed. Sungyeol slid in. I had hardly noticed he was gone.

"Where'd you go?" I asked. Sungyeol gave me a mysterious smile, but didn't answer. Jin Gook coughed again, and I turned worried.

"I'm going to talk to the doctor." I said to no one in particular. When I knocked, the doctor welcomed me in.

 

"Ah, Hye Mi, good afternoon." The doctor greeted, settling into his seat. I slipped into the seat infront of him.

"Is Jin Gook doing worse?" I said, panic clearly in my voice. The doctor nodded grimly.

"He has a cold. It wouldn't be a problem if he had a stronger heart..but with his weakening heart, circulation of blood is lacking." He said solemnly. My throat constricted. 

"There hasn't been a doner?" I whisper, not even ashamed of my desperation. Again, the doctor shook his head.

"Not many people are willing to donate-especially for the heart of a child." He said. I stayed stilent. 

"You have many good friends." The doctor said, brekaing the silence. I looked at him.

"How do you know?" I whispered. The doctor his beard.

"One of them..no, two of them always come by, asking for progress, and offering help to look for a doner." He said. 
"They were young men." He added. My head went blank. *Sungyeol must be one..but who else?* 

"I don't know their names, but the blonde one was particularly urgent in finding a doner." He mused. I gaped at him. *JIHO?* My mind shouted. The doctor saw my expression and chuckled.

"You're a wonderful girl, Hye Mi. Keep your head high, and you'll win." He offered a smile. 

"Does the operation have to happen soon?" I asked, shaky again. The doctor hesitated, and nodded.

"Not immediately, but soon. We need to take images of your heart, to match it with the size of Jin Gook's heart. Since he is growing, his heart will almost be the same size as a normal teenager." He said. I nodded numbly.

"You should prepare yourself, if this is what you really want." The doctor urged. 
"Tie up any loose ends." He added. I looked up.

"Does that mean I should resign from school?" I whispered. He ran a hand through his greying hair.

"That would be in your best interest." He said finally. I whimpered slightly to myself. I bowed my head, and headed out.

"Hye Mi." He called. I stopped, and turned around.

"Don't lose hope. Your friends wouldn't want their hard work to go to waste. Hope isn't denial." He said wisely. I nodded stiffly, and walked out.