Five

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

hey ^^

well, I want to apologize for the delay in updating this fanfic - but anyone who follows me on twitter or saw a tweet of mine when I updated some stories knows that I intended to return in june or july. anyway, for those who haven't seen it, I made the decision to write this fanfic until chapter 15 or 20. I'm still in the process of writing, since I didn't choose the easiest plots to write (could you stay isn't easy haha)

but I hope you like this chapter and see you next week - and updates will be on Thursdays :)

To say it was easy to deal with the first week away from Arrow would be a lie.

Hyukjae suffered.

And suffered a lot.

He hadn't been able to get back to work, for he spent a few days planning the changes that would happen in Scarecrow in the future. However, trying to fill the mind with work didn’t prevent Hyukjae from waking up in the middle of the night to find out if Arrow was cold or if he had soiled his diaper.

Arrow's room in his apartment was empty.

There wasn’t even a bed or wardrobe.

It was just a room painted white that needed to have his son's personal touch.

In that case, Hyukjae couldn't wait to see Arrow scrawling the walls.

- You have been looking at this room a lot, Hyukjae. – Mikyong said and handed her son a cup of tea – Isn't it easier to start decorating?

- For what? Arrow can only come after the first birthday, and you know that Donghae isn’t coming to bring him here. I need to make a list to know what I need to buy, but for now this room is empty.

Mikyong sighed.

- You haven't seen Arrow in person since the day you returned from Donghae's house. Are you sure this is how you intend to handle things?

Hyukjae sighed and went to the living room, sitting on the sofa and saying as soon as he laid his head on his mother's shoulder when she sat beside him:

- I'm not neglecting Arrow. I just tried to see if this week would be easy.

- And it was?

- No. It was a hell. This adaptation process only made me more anxious because I didn't know what to do.

- And do you want to talk to the therapist about it?

Hyukjae thought for a while. Was it really worth it?

- I don’t know yet. I will do this if it is difficult to deal with everything that happened suddenly. – he drank the tea and stood up – But what if we pay a visit now? I sent a message to Donghae and he replied that we can go.

And Mikyong's eyes shone with the possibility of seeing her cute grandson again – well, it wasn’t like she hasn't been gone all week there.

***

Hyukjae couldn't stop looking at Arrow.

The 27-day-old baby was a little bigger since the last time he saw him. Arrow looked very healthy and had a blush on his chubby cheeks as he slept peacefully in his crib. He was still so small – what was understandable – but Hyukjae knew that everything was fine.

- He grew up, didn't he? – Donghae whispered and Hyukjae nodded – I thought Arrow was going to feel the situation, but he managed to get through this week.

- But did he miss me?

- Of course he did. My mom helped me bathe him and he kept waiting for you to show up to make a funny face or talk to him. – Donghae smiled when Hyukjae sniffed – Arrow misses you.

And he was about to say something, Hyukjae saw his son opened his eyes slowly while yawning. Arrow always did that and it was funny, but extremely cute. And he, like a proud father, touched the baby's little nose and said:

- What's up, friend? – and then caressed his brown hair – I missed you so much, but now appa is here and will spend time with you.

Arrow held Hyukjae's finger and looked at his appa with curiosity. Hyukjae laughed softly, carried his son and looked at Donghae who said:

- I'll get the bottle, so feel free to change the dirty diaper.

And Hyukjae just had to get the baby kit that was still in the same place as always. And when Arrow lay down, he changed his diaper while saying:

- I remember saying I wouldn't change your diaper again, but here I am. – and smiled when Arrow looked at him – You know... It's great to see you again. I hope your dad agrees to spend Christmas at my house or at least I can stay here with you. Appa will cook and buy some gifts. I don't know if I'm going to buy toys, but maybe rattles? It will drive your father crazy. – he chuckled, put the clothes on Arrow and then threw the diaper in the trash, cleaning his hands and then carrying up his son – And now let’s go to eat?

Hyukjae pecked Arrow's cheeks and went to the kitchen to get the bottle from Donghae. After that, he sat on the couch and fed the baby while his mother sat beside him to see his grandchild – again.

- He is so perfect. – Mikyong said and smiled – Are you more relaxed now, Hyukjae?

- Certainly. I missed him. – and his eyebrow – But appa came here and will do his best to return later this week.

Donghae raised an eyebrow.

- Why didn't you come before?

- Because I wanted to make time and try to deal with not seeing Arrow daily. Also, I was busy with the plans for Scarecrow.

- And what do you have in mind?

- Well, I'm making some changes to the menu. But these changes will happen after I renovate the kitchen and the lounge.

- Did something happen? – Donghae asked worriedly – You only renovated Scarecrow three times since you opened the restaurant.

Hyukjae stood and answered while making Arrow burp:

- Some things happened, but I think I need to change the menu too. After losing as much money as it did, I want to do my best not to let something like that happen again. – and smiled when he felt his shoulder wet after his son burped. So, he took the cloth diaper and wiped his shirt after wiping Arrow's mouth – and I need a new shirt before I go to meet Siwon.

Donghae raised an eyebrow.

- So won't you be staying anymore?

- I can’t. As much as I want to, I can't stay. Planning for reform needs to be ready before January. – he sighed and sat on the sofa, pecking Arrow's cheeks as the boy tried to stay awake – Taking the moment, what are the plans for Christmas?

- Well, I still don't know. I was thinking about setting up the Christmas tree, going to church and then staying at home because it’s very cold outside.

- Then why don't you guys spend Christmas with us? – Hyukjae suggested and Donghae was surprised – I mean, Leeteuk and Heechul go there because they have nothing to do. – they laughed – But it would be a pleasure to have you with us.

- Oh... – the brown-haired man blushed and smiled while playing with his fingers – If we can go to your house after leaving the church, I think it would be good. Would you pick us up?

Hyukjae smiled widely.

- Of course! You just need to send a message and so I will get you.

Donghae nodded and smiled at Hyukjae, who was also smiling. It would be the first Christmas they would spend together with Arrow and they were excited about it.

- We can go out to buy some gifts too. – Donghae said and everyone in the room, with the exception of Arrow, raised their eyebrows – I know I said I didn't want my house full of toys, but I think one or the other won't hurt.

- I agree with you. – Hyukjae said and looked at Arrow – Hey... Appa needs to go now, but come back soon. – and reluctantly, he let Donghae take the baby – Will you stay here, mom?

- Yes. – and then looked at Donghae – If you don't mind.

- Oh, no. – he smiled and stood to open the door for Hyukjae – You are always welcome. – and looked at his ex-boyfriend who kissed Arrow's forehead and chuckled when the boy grunted – Can we go out to buy the gifts?

- Of course we can. Just call me and I'll come and get you.

- Great. See you soon.

Hyukjae nodded and left, going to the car next. Donghae sighed, looked at Arrow and frowned when he started to cry. Things always had their complications.

- Maybe we take a shower now, huh? You threw up on your appa's shirt and there are some in your jumpsuit. – Donghae handed Arrow to Mikyong who smiled and pecked his chubby cheeks – I will prepare the bath for him.

They nodded and Mikyong asked Ari as soon as Donghae left to get the bathtub:

- How was this week?

- It was sad for Donghae. As much as he didn't want me to see it, I caught him crying a few times before going to sleep. What about Hyukjae?

Mikyong sighed.

- Hyukjae also suffered. I stayed at his apartment this week and saw my son leave the room because he thought Arrow was crying. Then he remembered that he was at home and was going to drink some tea in the kitchen, but he cried a lot. – she caressed Arrow's eyebrows and said – Your parents are so silly. Don't be like them.

And so they laughed, looking at Donghae who came back and carried Arrow.

- What happiness is this?

- We were just talking about Christmas. We need a pie.

Donghae rolled his eyes and said:

- As long as it's peach pie, you can count on me. – and concluded while walking towards the bathroom – But I won’t make the pie.

They laughed and Donghae went

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter