Forty

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day arrived and Donghae was on the bus, heading to the therapist's office after dropping Arrow off at the kindergarten. He couldn't say he wasn't anxious, as he didn't know what was going to happen in that first session. Donghae hoped that everything would work out, but he had in mind that he and Hyukjae would touch on sensitive points in their relationship in the past.

Donghae sighed and played with his fingers the entire way. He tried to think of good things — like Arrow saying he was ready to face the kindergarten because Ryeowookie said being in kindergarten was cool — and even softly hummed a song he was listening to.

And when he arrived at the office, Donghae got off the bus and walked to the building. Hyukjae was waiting for him and laughed when he saw the brown-haired man who raised an eyebrow and asked:

- Why are you laughing?

- Because I said I could bring you, but you decided to come by bus.

- Ah... I needed some alone time.

- Why? Do you want to give up?

Donghae shook his head.

- It's not that. I just needed my time and I really appreciate it. But now that we're here, can we come in?

- Sure we can. – Hyukjae smiled and so entered the building with Donghae, giving their names at the reception and then heading to the elevator – I'm terribly anxious. And you?

- I'm anxious too, but I think it's going to be cool. – Donghae looked at Hyukjae and brushed the dust from his hair – Are you ready to talk about the past?

- Yes. It's going to be important to talk about what hurt and separated us. Are you ready?

- I'm ready too, but I hope this doesn't spoil everything, because we really need to do this.

Hyukjae agreed and so the elevator stopped on the office floor. The doors opened and the couple walked out, walking into a small room with a very elegant wooden door. They sat on the couch and waited for half an hour until a man greeted them with a smile.

- Good Morning. Are you Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae? – they nodded – I'm Lee Junho. Come in. – and so they stood up and entered the room, sitting on the couch and looking at Junho – Is this your first time in couple therapy?

- Yes.

- And why are you here?

Hyukjae looked at Donghae who said:

- You can start.

Then Hyukjae cleared his throat and said:

- We dated for seven years and ended up fighting a lot in our last year of dating. We worked at the same place, at my restaurant to be exact, and there was something that didn't work.

- Do you think working in the same place caused the fights?

Then Donghae replied:

- I don't think that way. What was really lacking in our relationship was communication. When we started fighting, we didn't try to talk things out. We always screamed and even the neighbors threatened to call the police because we got home at dawn and we were fighting.

- And sometimes he slept at a friend's house because we fought in the restaurant.

Junho nodded.

- And how do you think these fights started?

- Honestly, I wanted Hyukjae to trust me, but I felt he didn't. I felt like he just wanted to keep things to himself and set me aside. It was a very difficult time for me and I started fighting.

Hyukjae was surprised to hear Donghae admit this, but then he said:

- And I continued them. I could have let it go, but I was so irritated by the things going on at the restaurant that I ended up taking all my frustration out on Donghae.

- I understand. And you broke up?

- Yes. We broke up after a trip we took to Cuba in 2013. – Donghae said – And I really wanted to never see Hyukjae again, so I moved in with my mom and stayed there for 4 months.

- And why did you come back?

- There's no other way to say it, but I came back because I found out I would have a son and Hyukjae was the other father.

- So do you have an almost six-year-old son?

- He's almost five. – Hyukjae said – And it was a big surprise for me when Donghae told me, but I still stayed by his side the whole time because I didn't want to miss anything.

- Did you try to get back together?

- No, because it was all very recent and we were still hurting. But it was really nice to have Hyukjae's support in those months. I never thought he wouldn't support me.

- Really? – Hyukjae asked and Donghae nodded – I always thought you expected only bad things from me.

- But that time I didn't expect. – and Donghae was very sincere – When you were by my side all those months, I realized that I could still trust our relationship. We weren't together romantically, but we could still support each other.

Hyukjae smiled widely and held Donghae's hand, kissing it afterwards. Junho then he asked:

- What led you to be here now?

- Well, we're dating after five years apart. And I can say that I'm here because I want things with Donghae to work out forever.

- I also want things to work out forever. – Donghae smiled – And I mean I feel ready to tell everyone that Hyukjae and I are together as a couple.

- Why haven't you told yet?

- Because we wanted to take it easy. – Hyukjae said – But now a friend of ours already knows, so I'm also ready to tell everyone. I just want our son to be the first to know everything.

Junho smiled at the two and said:

- We still have a lot to work on in your relationship, but it's good to see that you guys have progressed in a way.

With that, Junho listened to what Hyukjae and Donghae had to say about their relationship. Obviously nothing would be easy, because life wasn't like that. But if they could make great progress together, then it was all worth it. And for sure they would tell Arrow very soon.

...O...
Weekend...

Arrow was very excited to spend the weekend with Yesung and Ryeowook.

He didn't stop talking and Donghae laughed as he packed his son's backpack with the necessary clothes and documents so that Yesung and Ryeowook wouldn't have a problem – and there was the parents' authorization so that the little one could travel with his uncles.

- Will you miss me? – Donghae asked – Dad will miss you.

- And why don't you come with us, dad?

- Because dad has to work, but I want you to have a lot of fun on this sightseeing tour with your uncles.

- And I'll bring you a gift because I love you so much.

Donghae hugged Arrow and kissed his cheeks.

- I love you so much too. And one more thing: don't disobey uncle Wook or uncle Yesung.

- Okay. – and so Arrow hugged Donghae – I'll miss you dad, but I'll be back Sunday.

- I know that, little tiger. – they heard the bell ringing – Shall we go?

Arrow nodded and followed Donghae into the living room to open the door. And when he received his friend and his boyfriend, the brown-haired man smiled and let them in. Arrow hugged Ryeowook and then Yesung and said:

- Are we going yet? Dad has already finished packing my backpack.

Ryeowook laughed.

- How good it is to see you excited to go out with us.

- I like going out. – Arrow smiled happily – And I want to see where we go.

- So grab your backpack, say goodbye to your dad and let's run to the car because we have a place to visit in two hours.

Arrow nodded, grabbed his backpack and hugged Donghae who kissed his cheeks and waved when he saw his son skipping while holding Ryeowook's hand. And after they left, Donghae went to shower to hang out with Hyukjae and spend the weekend at his house. Ghost would stay with Ari who “believed” her son when he said he was going to spend the day at the SPA.

But if Ari had any intention of following Donghae – as Teresa jokingly suggested once – she would know where her son was really going.

Anyway, Arrow was in Yesung's car and was swinging his legs as he took in the scenery. He would listen to his uncles singing and smile because he was happy. Then Ryeowook looked at Arrow and asked:

- What do you think about spending the weekend away from your dad?

- I wanted dad to come with us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter