Thirty-two

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dinner was very pleasant and everyone returned home shortly before ten o'clock. The kids were already asleep, so their parents would have some work to do to get the two oldest to wake up and at least brush their teeth. Like Arrow, Aisha didn't like being woken up in her sleep. Then, with everyone safely at home, Donghae let Jeongho take Aisha to brush her teeth and only then it was Arrow's turn.

Arrow didn't even want to wake up, but he brushed his teeth and put on his pajamas after peeing. And when Donghae took him to the room, the little one yawned and hugged his father who pecked his cheek and said:

- Now you can sleep again. Do you want me to stay here?

- No, dad. But can you hug me?

- Of course I can. – Donghae hugged Arrow tighter and laughed when he whispered that he needed air – But didn't you want a bear hug?

- No. – and so they chuckled – But now I'm going to sleep because tomorrow I want to play a lot.

- So sleep well and have very good dreams.

Arrow nodded and smiled as Aisha hopped into the room as her father tried to put the satin cap on her hair. And when she finally jumped on the bed, Jeongho put on the cap to protect her hair.

- If that cap comes out of your hair, your omma will kill me, so make sure it's fastened tight.

- It is, appa.

- Then have sweet dreams. – Jeongho kissed Aisha's forehead and smiled at her who yawned while waving – Good night, Arrow. Have sweet dreams too.

- Good night, uncle Jeongho. – Arrow happily waved and with that Donghae said:

- Good night to both of you and sweet dreams. No talking late, huh?

The children giggled, but they were too tired to disobey. They quickly fell asleep and Jeongho and Donghae waved at each other before heading to the bedroom. Ryeowook was already asleep, so the brown-haired man changed his clothes and took out his cell phone to let his mother know they were fine. And after sending the message, he smiled as soon as he saw Hyukjae's picture on the icon. Even though it was still early, Donghae decided not to send a message. He was happy to take the turtle steps with his ex-boyfriend so they could have a good relationship.

And Donghae could only dream that he was happy with Hyukjae and Arrow all living together under one roof.

...---...
The next day...

Arrow just wasn't the first to wake up because Afiya woke up earlier and thus woke up one of her parents who changed her diaper and then put her back to sleep. But the boy, always curious, sat up in bed and stretched out his arms while yawning. Arrow wasn't used to sleeping anywhere other than his bed or the couch at his grandmothers' house, but he wasn't afraid Donghae hadn't stayed there.

For some reason Arrow felt safe.

- Why did you wake up now? – Aisha whispered and sat on the bed.

- I always wake up before my dad because then I can sleep in his bed. – Arrow replied also whispering – Why do you have to wear a cap?

- Omma says it's to protect my hair. But we're going swimming today and she's going to blow-dry my hair.

- Oh, yeah. – He smiled – Are we going to swim in the pool?

- Yes. Will Wook go with us?

- Uncle Wook always goes. He loves the pool like us. – Arrow yawned and lay down again – Can we eat something?

- I know where there's food. – Aisha got off the bed and Arrow went with her – In the kitchen, I saw appa putting cookies in the cupboard. He bought chocolate milk too.

- Is there strawberry milk?

- What is it?

- It's a milk that my appa likes to drink in the morning. Uncle Chullie said appa’s palate is like mine. – and they chuckled without really understanding what it said – But I don't like it that much. Appa does.

They reached the kitchen and Aisha opened the cupboard. She took out two packets of cookies and then opened the fridge to get the chocolate milk that luckily or not was within reach. After taking two, they went back to the room and sat on the bed where Arrow slept. But then they had no idea how to open the cookie package.

- How are we going to eat this?

- I think you have to open it here. My dad opened it like that once. – and Arrow managed to open the cookie package. Aisha celebrated and so they started to eat – Aisha...

- What?

- Are you going to study here?

- I don’t know. Omma wants to go back to Canada, but appa wants to stay here. I like here, but I miss my home there.

- Ah... I thought you were going to study here because we could study together in kindergarten.

- I was going to kindergarten in Canada. – she smiled – I liked my teachers a lot.

- I'm afraid.

- Why?

- I don’t know. I'm scared and I don't want to go.

Aisha sighed and didn't know what to say. She'd known Arrow long enough to like him so that they were super friends. But still, she didn't know how to help him. While she was five, he was only four. And the two didn't even know how to solve their own problems.

- If I go to school with you, we'll be best friends there.

And Arrow smiled at that. He trusted Aisha and was happy to be her best friend in South Korea, so the two of them were doing very well in that strong and important friendship. But while they were eating and talking, they ended up laughing out loud and that woke up Ryeowook who looked at Donghae and noticed that the brown-haired man was still sleeping peacefully.

So the blond went to the bathroom and then went to the children's room just to see them having fun at that picnic indoors.

- Hey, uncle Wook.

- Hey, Wook.

- Hello. – he smiled and then asked – How did you two get so much food?

- We went to the kitchen.

- And you took all this without help? I'm surprised, but somehow proud.

The children chuckled.

- And you want to eat cookies with us?

- Oh, no. Thanks. Have you ever been to the bathroom? – they shook their heads – I think it would be better if you went. Let Aisha go first, Arrow.

And so they each went to the bathroom and Ryeowook helped them when they went to wash their hands. Then they went back to their room and continued eating while talking nonstop. Luckily Ryeowook didn't mind the two of them chatting away as he found it very cute and started to wonder what it would be like to have a child too. Not that it was his life plan, but whenever he saw Donghae's relationship with Arrow, Ryeowook wondered if it would be good to have a child with Yesung. But that was just an idea that came out of curiosity.

But then the other adults woke up and were shocked that Arrow and Aisha had already had their breakfast. Fortunately for both of them, they weren't reprimanded and were able to change so they could play in the pool. Adults were nearby for breakfast so no problem.

- I still can't believe that Arrow and Aisha managed to get the cookies without help.

- They're tall kids, so I'm not surprised they both reached for the chocolate milk in the fridge. – Jeongho said – But my oldest princess is growing up so fast. – he carried Afiya and pecked her cheeks – Don't grow so fast.

And with that Donghae said:

- I wanted to know how you guys manage to deal with it. This year Arrow turns five and I can't believe he's already so...

- Grown up?

- That's right. I remember when Ryeowook was still in France and he saw Arrow for the first time. Do you remember that, Wook?

- Sure. Arrow was so small. Soon he's taller than me.

- I'm only thirty-one and I feel older. – Donghae sighed as Jeongho and Namazzi laughed with Ryeowook – What do you do if Aisha is a rebel?

- Usually she gets grounded. We don't let her watch TV or play in the pool. She cries a little, but then understands that we're not going to let her answer us rudely.

- So when does it stop?

- I don’t know, dear. – Namazzi replied when she held her daughter – I just hope that Afiya isn’t as rebellious as Aisha when that age comes. – and so she brushed her nose on her baby's little nose – Isn't it, dear? You'll be a little angel, won't you?

And all Afiya did was yawn and look at the children playing in the shallow end of the pool. Ryeowook soon joined them and Jeongho had to go take a phone call. Namazzi and Donghae were left alone there, so the woman said:

- I don't want to be nosy, but can I ask you a question?

- Sure. – Donghae carried Afiya and smiled at her – What do you want to know?

- Are you and Hyukjae together?

Donghae's eyes widened.

- Why the question?

- Honestly, I noticed a glow in you that wasn't there before. I know your last boyfriend made you happy, but recently your smile has gotten as bright as if you'd won the world. And yesterday I noticed that you were beaming. It was as if the sun was shining for you.

Then the brown-haired man laughed.

- Do you think I'm glowing?

- Yes. It's like you're living an overwhelming passion.

- Well... If I tell you, you have to promise me a secret. Only you and I and Afiya will know about this and she can't say anything at all.

Namazzi laughed.

- Don’t worry. I won't tell anyone at all.

Donghae took a deep breath and whispered:

- Hyukjae and I kissed the day before the daycare event.

And so the former model was surprised, but happy.

- But that's great. You like him so much.

- I love him, but for now we're taking it easy. – Donghae smiled and Namazzi chuckled – What happened?

- You're smiling like that again. Your smile is so beautiful and now besides being happy for you, I wonder how you would be a good model for our agency.

And this time Donghae chuckled softly.

- Model? I'd like to take pictures for my pastry shop, but being a model is too much.

- I know that, but you should see how beautiful your smile is in everyday life. However, when you smile because of Hyukjae, your smile is even more beautiful. I don't know what you two are planning, but know that I'm rooting for you both. – and so she looked at Arrow who was playing happily – Especially that little boy who will be very happy.

Donghae looked at Arrow and smiled. Indeed, he would be very happy if he imagined that his parents were thinking about getting back in a relationship. He knew the little one would make a thousand and one plans for after the three of them were living together. It would be great for everyone.

***

After lunch, Donghae and Ryeowook offered to wash the dishes while Jeongho and Namazzi took care of Afiya and Arrow and Aisha played. And the blond, as he finished drying the dishes to put them away, looked at the brown-haired man who was very concentrating on cleaning the sink.

Ryeowook didn't know if he should talk about it with Donghae, but he wanted his best friend to be aware of what was going on. Then, as the two were alone in the kitchen, Ryeowook cleared his throat and said:

- I heard som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter