Forty-four

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

hello there ^^

I'm finally back and now let's read this one until the end - and again and again if you guys want to ^^

I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

see you <3

Arrow and Gaeul couldn't tell how fun the camp was, but they wanted to spend the rest of their lives in nature watching the bees and butterflies fly by.

That morning, they were hiking with their parents and hopping around still pretending they were dinosaurs. Donghae and Jihoon talked about some things while Hyukjae and Daehyun kept an eye on the kids so they wouldn't fall and get hurt. Arrow had scraped each knee at least twice and Gaeul managed to injure his finger when he went to catch a caterpillar.

Typical stuff.

- Look at this, Arrow! – Gaeul called his best friend who stopped by his side – Look, it's a nest.

- It is. And it has a lot of eggs. – then they looked at Hyukjae who approached, almost dying because he couldn't take the trail anymore – Look appa.

- You found a bird’s nest. The mother must be close by, so we should get out of here.

- Why?

- Because she might think we're here to harm her babies. – and as the kids didn't understand, Hyukjae laughed – Think that mommy bird is like Donghae when someone says bad things about Arrow. What happens?

- Oh... He gets very angry, doesn't he, uncle Hyuk?

- My daddy gets really mad.

- So that's what will happen if mommy bird thinks we're here to do something bad.

The boys nodded and went on with their lives when Donghae slapped Hyukjae on the back of the head and said:

- I'm not a mommy bird.

- Of course you are.

- You too. – Donghae defended himself and Hyukjae shrugged his shoulders – You don't ignore me, man.

- I'm not ignoring you. I just don't want to get another slap on the back of the head.

Donghae narrowed his eyes and Hyukjae stuck his tongue out at him. Arrow and Gaeul laughed and continued up the hill as they were followed by their parents. The view was beautiful. They could see all that green area of ​​the forest and the children were very emotional, chattering nonstop. Arrow said:

- I wish Aisha was here to see this.

And Gaeul laughed as he nudged Arrow's waist. The parents took pictures and Hyukjae had to sit down to drink some water – he had always been an athlete, but the last few years of sedentary running the restaurant only showed that yes, he needed to get back to exercising.

They still had all the way to go and there was a group with them too. Everyone was guided by at least one guy and so they managed to get to the lake where Arrow didn't think twice and took off his shoes to play in the water. As there were fish there, Gaeul didn’t want to approach.

- What's it? – Arrow asked Gaeul – Do you want to see how grandma Mikyong taught me to catch a fish?

- What if the fish bites you?

- The fish won't bite me. Look that. – Arrow was always very confident in what he did when it came to fishing, so he focused on what he should do and caught a small fish by the tail – See? Too easy.

Gaeul looked at his parents, who encouraged him to enter the lake, and took off his shoes and socks. He was still afraid of being bitten by the fish and even closed his eyes when he felt something touch his leg – but it was only Arrow's foot.

- What are you going to do with the fish, Jiwoon?

- I don't want to eat the fish. Grandma says we always have to put the fish back in the water if we're not going to eat it.

- And the fish already bit you?

- No. Come catch a fish with me, Gaeul.

Gaeul decided he needed to trust his best friend, so he did the same thing Arrow did to catch a fish. Of course, the first time didn't work out and the fish slipped out of Gaeul's hand. The second time, the boy was startled as soon as the little animal opened its mouth. The third time, Gaeul almost managed to catch the fish by the tail, but realized it wasn't easy.

Then Arrow showed another way to catch the fish – and it was a way that made Donghae widen his eyes and almost freak out. After all, Arrow took off his shirt and dove into the water to catch two fish at once. Strangely it worked and Gaeul did the same thing. The two laughed and decided that this was a good time to swim in the lake.

- I think you better get your son before I turn into a Hulk, Hyukjae.

Hyukjae chuckled, but went to get Arrow and Gaeul before they got into trouble. Daehyun and Jihoon scolded their son at the same time as Donghae scolded Arrow for swimming without his parents telling him he could. After that, with two children in soaking clothes, they returned to the camp and consequently the boys were grounded.

Arrow and Gaeul didn't regret swimming in the lake.

- Don't you think you were too harsh? – Hyukjae asked and the three parents looked at him with raised eyebrows – I mean, they were just kidding.

- But what if they drowned?

- We had our eyes on them and they weren't even in the deep end of the lake.

- It was still dangerous.

Hyukjae avoided rolling his eyes, as he knew full well that the other parents wouldn't agree with him. He thought the punishment was an overreaction, but he also didn't want to take away the authority that the parents had – it was just funny and curious to see how Donghae, who used to climb trees as a teenager, got so angry with Arrow for swimming in the shallows of the lake.

Hyukjae wanted to find a way to get the kids out of that situation.

However, Arrow's four minutes of punishment came to an end and he was able to get out of the motor home to wait for Gaeul who had one more minute. After thinking about what he did, and coming to the conclusion that he didn't do anything wrong, Arrow was pretty upset with Donghae.

And he showed it by ignoring his father.

- Hyukjae… – Donghae whimpered and Hyukjae didn't know what to do, because he didn't want to intrude on it – Do something, please.

So Hyukjae went to save the relationship between Donghae and Arrow – but it wasn't like anything had ruined the father-son bond.

- Then? – Hyukjae sat next to Arrow – Are you okay?

- Why did daddy ground me, appa?

- Because he got angry when you swam in the lake without his permission.

- But I always swim in the lake at grandma Mikyong's house. – he pouted and crossed his arms. Hyukjae sighed.

- When you swim in the lake, I'm with you there. My mother and Teresa also accompany you always. Also, I think your father was just scared because he's not so used to seeing you independent.

- What is this, appa?

- When you can do things without help. You are our baby, Arrow. You'll be our baby even when we're old, so we just want to protect you.

- But I'm strong, appa.

- You are, but we are still your parents and we want to take care of you to make sure everything goes well. It's complicated for you to understand that, because you're still four years old. But if one day you decide to be a father, you will surely understand what I mean. – Hyukjae kissed the top of Arrow's head – Now, don't be angry with your father. He was just scared.

Arrow looked at Donghae, who looked back at him, and pouted. The brunet also pouted and went to his son because he didn't like when they were "fighting". It seemed like a silly thing for an adult to be upset if his son was angry, but Donghae was the kind of father who had an amazing relationship with his son. Perhaps, in the future, they could call each other friends.

Hyukjae had to hold back his laughter when he saw that all Arrow did was hugging his father without saying a word. Donghae hugged his son and they were silent for a few minutes. It was their way of saying they didn't want to fight anymore – but they were too shy to say those words.

It was another one of those days.

~~~
Later...

Night came and with it came the feeling of sadness because it was the last day of camp and everyone would have to go back to their work or school routines. Arrow and Gaeul weren't all that excited knowing that Monday was around the corner, but at least they could see each other and play at preschool. Donghae, on the other hand, wanted to spend as much time as possible at the pastry shop because he had a huge wedding cake to make and Ryeowook alone couldn't handle it – it took two people for this job.

Daehyun and Jihoon worked in an office and had a lot of paperwork to go through. Hyukjae was the only one there who didn't have to run to the restaurant, as he had left Scarecrow in great hands and so he had news every day about what was happening in his second home.

The third was still being built in Jeju.

- Very good. Here's a delicious bulgogi. – Hyukjae said as soon as he took the pan off the grill – I hope you guys are hungry, because I prepared more food and there's pork belly that I know Gaeul loves getting almost ready.

Gaeul smiled happily and Arrow said:

- I just like the way Grandma Teresa does it. In Brazil they fry pork belly, right, appa?

- And just for that you eat the pork belly she makes, but you don't eat the one I make? – Arrow nodded and Hyukjae narrowed his eyes – So sincere…

- I like the pork belly that uncle Hyuk makes at the restaurant.

- And I just want to eat, because I'm hungry. – Jihoon said and everyone laughed – By the way, this smell is delicious.

- Thanks. We will be serving bulgogi at Aurora. Heechul has a special recipe and I hope to see you at the opening of my new restaurant.

- Are you going to pay the tickets?

- No.

Then Donghae commented:

- Then he doesn't know where Arrow's sincerity comes from.

- Sincerity or is he a cheapskate? – everyone laughed and Hyukjae rolled his eyes as he placed the side dishes on the table – Don't feel offended, Hyukjae. It was just a joke because you didn't want to pay for our tickets to Jeju.

- I shouldn't even invite you anymore. I'll just take Arrow and Gaeul with me.

The children cheered and Donghae said:

- Only in your dreams will you open a restaurant without me being there.

Hyukjae just knew that he was very happy to hear Donghae say those words, as they had a very strong meaning for their relationship. On Monday, they had an appointment with the couple’s therapist and were eager to share how their day had gone.

But Hyukjae still had a surprise for Donghae.

Only on Monday night.

And while Arrow and Gaeul were in the little world they created, the adults talked while drinking. The food was really good and the company was great, they got to know each other better that weekend and they were all happy to be friends for a while. They laughed and ate the pork belly when it was ready – Arrow decided he wanted to play, so he went to spend his energy on a toy he took with him.

Soon Gaeul joined his best friend and so the adults talked for hours until the boys became sleepy and said they wanted to sleep. Daehyun took Gaeul to the motor home they were in and Donghae decided to take Arrow just to chat with him for a bit. The little one really wanted to sleep and clung to his father as they lay down on the bed.

- Did you have a lot of fun, little tiger?

- I had a lot of fun, dad. – Arrow yawned and put his arm over Donghae's waist – But I didn't want to leave.

- I didn't want to go either, but how is uncle Wook going to stay in the pastry shop without my help? And you need to go to kindergarten. Appa needs to work too.

- And why can't we stay at home and watch a movie, dad? Then we could eat popcorn and ice cream.

- You'll have a whole adolescence to do this, but you need to study too. And do you happen to know what you're going to be when you grow up?

Arrow smiled and nodded.

- I'm going to work on the farm to take care of the animals. Then Aisha can live with me and we'll take care of Kale and Ghost. And Peach too.

Donghae hugged Arrow and kissed his forehead, causing the boy to dive into that so familiar scent that his father had. Ever since he was a baby, Arrow had liked that smell. It was a kind of comfort that emanated from Donghae's body and no one else had it. He felt protected and strong as if no harm could come to him.

After Yunseo threw his bear in the trash and said all those bad words, Arrow slept in Donghae's bed for days until he was comfortable to go back to his room and sleep in his bed. He just needed his father and didn't want anyone else around – not even Hyukjae. The bond between Donghae and Arrow was so strong that nothing could b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter