Eight

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello everybody ^^

I wrote this chapter with (also) the intention of writing about Arrow's first birthday. but I ended up putting the focus on what Hyukjae would be spending the weekend with Arrow, since he will one day do it here, right?? so I hope you like it and understand that the whole experience that Arrow is going to have with separated parents will really happen and from my point of view, since my parents divorced when I was a child. anyway, i will try to be a little bit softer because this is just a fanfic and I don't want to extrapolate.

see you next Thursday :)

You could hear Arrow laughing in the room while Heechul did a funny dance. Hyukjae recorded that moment and Leeteuk smiled because the six month old baby was getting cuter and cuter. Arrow then clapped his hands and looked at his appa who smiled and sat beside him after placing the phone on the couch.

Hyukjae took Arrow's hands and made him stand so that Leeteuk could take a picture. And looking at his appa, the boy ended up giggling and almost fell on the rug. But Hyukjae caught him in time and lifted him.

- I can't wait for the day when you start walking. – Hyukjae said and let Arrow crawl over to Heechul who carried him and nibbled on his cheek – Arrow has to sleep, you know?

- Yes, but he's having fun. – Heechul started to dance and Arrow raised an eyebrow before giggling – See? It's fun.

- Yeah, but if Donghae dreams that Arrow didn't sleep at the right time, he'll freak out.

And it was just Hyukjae closing his mouth that his phone started ringing and Leeteuk said:

- Someone's dad is calling and it's a video call. – and so he smiled when he answered the call – Hey, Donghae.

- Teuk? Where is Hyukjae?

- He is here. I took his cell phone to take a picture, since Heechul is dancing with Arrow.

Donghae laughed.

- I can even imagine that. – and so he heard Arrow's giggle – It's the first time he's stayed at Hyukjae's house and it looks like he's having a great time.

- It's just that he has a very nice uncle. – Heechul said louder and Leeteuk laughed.

- I'll pass the phone on to Hyukjae, Donghae.

And when he heard Donghae's name, Arrow looked at Hyukjae and started to shook his body. Heechul then placed him on his appa's lap and went to drink water because he was too tired to dance.

- Look who's here, Arrow. – Hyukjae said and smiled when Arrow tried to get his cell phone – I think someone misses you.

Donghae smiled and said:

- Hey, little star. Are you having fun at your appa's house? – and he only saw the chubby hand on the screen – You can't catch daddy, you know?

And although Hyukjae tried to avoid it, Arrow managed to get his cell phone. He sighed and got his device back, sitting his son on the couch and saying to Donghae:

- He was already going to sleep, but Heechul started dancing that funny way and Arrow was having fun.

- I see, but I just called to see if Arrow is okay. I don't know how you're dealing with the baby at your house, but I said he likes to make a mess.

- And you don't even say he had a fever earlier.

- And did he have a fever again?

- No. Arrow drank the syrup and slept a little. I kept an eye on him because he coughed, but then he woke up and ate and also drank water.

- Have you bathed him?

- Of course. – and so Hyukjae had to hold Arrow when he looked at the phone and cried – I think he wants to see you again.

Donghae smiled and waved at Arrow who smiled and listened carefully to what his dad was saying. Maybe he was just waiting to hear Donghae's voice so he could sleep, as his eyes closed slowly and then he was already asleep. Leeteuk then took him to the room and Hyukjae said to Donghae:

- I think now he only wakes up when you arrive to pick him up.

- It's good, but I won't be long. My mom and I are seeing some houses with the realtor, but nothing seems suitable for someone who has a fuzzy baby.

Hyukjae laughed and said:

- You can rest easy, Donghae. Arrow is fine here.

- I know that and I trust you, but I miss him.

- And he misses you, but we're getting along. It's a good thing I bought the crib last week.

- Arrow slept well? – Hyukjae nodded – Good then. – Donghae smiled and looked to the side – So, I have to go now.

- Alright and good luck.

With that they ended the video call and Leeteuk said:

- Apparently you aren’t going to Scarecrow today.

- I go. If Donghae needs me to take them home, I will. But I need to go to the restaurant.

- So we're going now because we need to start making for the special of the day. And next time, don't forget to get Kimchi ready.

Hyukjae pursed his lips, but nodded because he knew Leeteuk was right. As he ended up giving up the TV show due to scheduling problems, he got involved with the channel on YouTube and until then everything worked fine. However, Hyukjae had three concerns on his mind: Arrow, Scarecrow and his YouTube channel – and Kimchi wasn't even in the top 10 on his list.

- You can change the special of the day, since Kimchi isn’t ready. Take the pork belly and put it in the brine, then cut the carrots into thin strips and leave the sauce ready. I will do it as soon as I get there.

- What about the chard?

- Leave it there and I'll prepare it.

Leeteuk nodded and Heechul asked:

- So today I make the burger with Bulgogi?

- Yes. – Hyukjae replied after picking up his notebook – And don't forget to tell the waiters that the menu only changed for the special of the day. The rest will be done as I put it on the board. – he looked at Leeteuk and said – I think you can leave the celery cut too and I need sliced ​​tomatoes.

- Okay. See you later.

Hyukjae nodded and stood to close the door when they left. And after he was alone in the living room, he sighed and scratched the back of his head as he watched the mess the place was in. And as he had nothing to do, he decided to clean up and take a shower because he knew he wouldn't have much time to do that after Donghae arrived to pick Arrow up.

So Hyukjae folded the rug and put the stuffed toys in a box. He also arranged the cushions and swept the dirty room after Arrow hit his hand on the bowl and dropped the food on the floor. Hyukjae didn't even know that a baby was capable of making such a mess, but he found it fun. Obviously many people would have said that he was crazy to find what Arrow did funny, but he had no problem with that. The walls would soon be scrawled and he wanted that moment.

After cleaning the living room, Hyukjae took his dolman and put it in the bag. After that, he went to take a shower and decided to get some sleep because the shift would be long and tiring. Hyukjae only woke up two hours later when he heard Arrow crying, so he went to his son's room and smiled when the boy pouted and cried more.

- Why are you crying? Let's see if you have a fever. – Hyukjae took Arrow's temperature and was relieved that he was fine – Is it hungry? Shall we drink milk or eat fruit? – he carried the baby and frowned – Change the diaper first.

And so he took the bag to get a diaper and do what was necessary. Hyukjae changed Arrow's diaper, wiped his hands and took the baby to the kitchen. After picking up an apple, he took a small spoon and started feeding his son who tried to spit out the fruit, but then ate happily because he was hungry.

- Then you need to drink water to stay hydrated and healthy. – Hyukjae said and wiped Arrow's cheeks with the spoon – How can you make such a mess? You only are six-months-old. – the boy chuckled and his appa smiled – Sure... You don't even care, right? That's why your dad goes crazy.

Arrow clapped his hands and Hyukjae continued to feed the baby until he no longer wanted to eat an apple. So, he gave his son water and so the two went to the living room to watch TV. Arrow was entertained playing with the building blocks while Hyukjae talked to Shindong. Sometimes he poked the boy in the waist, just to make him laugh, and looked for something interesting to see. And when he found a channel for children, Hyukjae saw that Arrow's eyes lit up and he kind of started dancing while smiling and clapping his hands.

Hyukjae felt his heart flutter with happiness. Arrow was so precious. Then he took a picture and sent it to Donghae who replied with several heart emojis. Hyukjae then left Arrow watching TV while playing with the building blocks and went to make dinner for his son. He was still in the phase of eating baby food, so that night he was going to eat beets with carrots.

- Apparently you go home sleeping, so let's put food in this cute little belly? – Hyukjae said to Arrow while sitting the baby in the baby chair – I know you don't like baby food, but you need to eat.

Arrow looked at the spoon and tried to turn his face away, but ended up eating the baby food, which fortunately was nothing like the one in supermarket. And after he ate everything, Hyukjae gave water to his baby and again stayed in the living room so they could watch TV. Arrow got bored with time and cuddled up to his appa's chest, closing his eyes and sleeping slowly while he his back. Hyukjae could hardly believe that the first day taking care of his son without help was so successful.

And around seven forty, he heard the bell. Hyukjae carefully left Arrow on the couch and opened the door. Donghae had arrived to pick up his son and he looked very tired.

- Okay? – the brown-haired man asked and smiled when he saw Arrow sleeping – Has he eaten?

- Yes. I didn't know when you would arrive, so I didn't even have time to pack his things.

- No problem. My mother went home because she was very tired.

- Then get in there. I'll get his things and take you home, since I have to go to Scarecrow.

Donghae nodded and entered Hyukjae's house, already sitting on the couch to pamper Arrow, who was sleeping peacefully with his cheeks slightly pink.

- How was your day with Arrow?

- Ah... It was very good. After you left him here, I had to calm him down a little bit because he cried a lot. But Heechul and Leeteuk arrived and he got happy. I checked Arrow's temperature too because I was worried when he coughed and was weeping after lunch.

- Poor thing. – Donghae whispered and put the jacket on Arrow – And after that?

- After that, Arrow just saw Heechul playing those silly games to make him laugh and that was when you called. Then he fell asleep and only woke up when the diaper was dirty. He ate half an apple and we stayed here watching TV until dinner time.

Donghae smiled, took the bag that Hyukjae had packed, and said:

- I can't believe you had an easy day with Arrow. He almost drives me crazy.

Hyukjae laughed softly, grabbed his backpack and said:

- I don’t even know what to say. Arrow only made a mess when Heechul was here because he likes to throw toys in any corner. Then he was calm. – and so he opened the door – Shall we go?

- Yeah. I know you have to go to Scarecrow. – Donghae protected Arrow with a blanket and left the apartment – By the way, do you already know what we are going to do for his first birthday?

- Not yet. What do you want to do?

- I thought about having a simple party. He's still so small and doesn't even know how to walk, so let's just make a cake and call his cousins.

- Sounds like a good idea, but I thought we were having this party at Scarecrow. I think we've already talked about it.

- Yes. – they entered the elevator – Let's talk about it. I want to make the cake for his birthday.

Hyukjae nodded and looked at Arrow who was sleeping peacefully. It was as if he knew that Donghae was there, so he felt calmer when his parents were around. And after they left the elevator, they waved to the doorman and went to the garage. Hyukjae helped Donghae with Arrow and took them home, as he needed to run to the restaurant.

- Call me if you need anything, okay?

Donghae nodded and said:

- If Arrow gets sick again, I'll call you.

And so Hyukjae nodded and left after taking the bag to Donghae's home. He just wanted to make sure his son and his dad were alright so he could go to work. And that night, Arrow didn't get sick – much to his parents' relief.

...O...
Four months later...

Donghae sighed happily when he put his hands on his hips and looked at the living room of his new home. It was a spacious place as he liked it, so he could see what Arrow was doing if he happened to be preparing lunch or just playing with his almost ten-month-old son. And Arrow, who on that hot August afternoon was only in a T-shirt and diaper, crawled freely on the floor.

And Donghae laughed at that cute moment.

- Do you already like your new home, baby? – he asked when Arrow sat down and smiled, showing his teeth and clapping his hands – Appa will see you in a little while, then come and stay here.

But Arrow crawled happily into the hall. Donghae laughed and went after him, carrying his son and kissing his chubby cheeks.

- You are adorable, you know? Daddy loves you very much.

Papa!

Donghae's eyes widened.

- W-what? Did you say daddy?

- Papa!

And so Donghae looked back, as Arrow smiled towards the door. He then went over and opened it, looking at Hyukjae who waved and pecked his son's cheeks.

- What's up, big boy?

- Papa!

Hyukjae was surprised and smiled.

- Appa or dad?

-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter