Thirty

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was December and Arrow pouted after he tried on his Christmas performance outfit.

No.

He didn't want to participate because that meant this would be his last daycare performance before he entered kindergarten. Arrow wanted his days at daycare to last forever, but unfortunately, it didn't happen that way. The question that most ran in his mind was: will I be able to play with my friends?

Donghae sat on the floor and looked at Arrow, holding his small hand and playing with those fingers that no longer looked like chubby fingers. That baby was growing up and would soon be living life independently.

- What's up, baby?

- I don't want to dance.

- And why? You always get involved with daycare activities and come up with good ideas. Why do not you want to go?

- Because I don't want to leave the daycare. – he sniffed and rubbed his eye – I want to be with my friends and with the teachers at the daycare.

Donghae sighed and pulled Arrow onto his lap. He hugged him and let his baby cry because those tears were a new feeling for the little one. Donghae caressed Arrow's hair and looked out the window just as Hyukjae hit the glass.

- Appa is here. Shall we open the door for him? – as Arrow nodded, Donghae put him on the floor and so they went to the door. And when the door was opened, Hyukjae smiled and hugged his son who sniffled and kept crying.

- What's it?

- Arrow doesn’t want to participate in the last performance at the daycare.

Hyukjae nodded and entered Donghae's house, carrying Arrow who hugged his appa's neck as if his life depended on it. Hyukjae then sat on the couch and said as he looked at his cute son:

- Hey... No need to cry. You will see how the school is and...

- But I do not want. I want to stay at daycare.

Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other not really knowing what to do. They never imagined Arrow would cry about having to go to school. However, after he calmed down, Donghae said:

- You don't need to be sad, little tiger. In kindergarten you can also play with your friends. And you can always invite them to play here.

- Or my house. – Hyukjae said and smiled – But what is your biggest fear?

Arrow sniffled and whispered:

- It's just that I don't want to stay away from my friends and teachers. I like daycare.

- We know you like daycare, but this is a new step for you because now you will be able to learn more things.

- How?

- Well, you will learn to write more words and you will learn more numbers too. And now you're going to juggle your schedule because you have ballet and soccer lessons.

- See how you can still play with your friends?

Arrow stopped for a moment to think and nodded. He managed to understand what part of his problem could be solved. But still, he was very afraid of what lay ahead.

- How about if you talk to Jangmi? – Hyukjae suggested – You can talk to her about your fear.

- And also she can help you understand things that appa and I can't. – Donghae smiled and looked at Hyukjae – Right?

- Yes. Dad and I will be by your side for everything you need.

Arrow nodded and rubbed his eyes as he sobbed. He already knew he could count on his parents for anything.

- Can we have pizza?

The parents looked at each other and Donghae said:

- Sure. How about if the three of us make the pizza?

Hyukjae got very surprised, but extremely happy.

- It would be really cool if we could make pizza. What do you think, Arrow?

Arrow smiled and said:

- Okay, but I want pineapple pizza with chicken.

- I'll get the ingredients then.

With that, Donghae got to his feet and was followed by Hyukjae and Arrow into the kitchen. And when his appa sat him down on the kitchen island, the little one washed his hands at the sink and watched his parents together. It was as if that not-so-distant dream was coming true little by little.

Gaeul once said that his parents cooked together and that they always had a fun time in the kitchen. Aisha also had a similar story and Arrow saw he would have that too. But at age 4 he could only keep his expectations in his heart.

- Do you want to make the dough while I prepare the other ingredients? – Donghae asked – The dough you make is so delicious.

- I can make the pizza dough. Arrow helps me out and then we can bake the pizzas on the grill.

Arrow threw up his arms. He loved any food that was grilled – with the exception of carrots and lettuce.

- Are we going to eat outside? – Arrow asked – We could eat outside, right?

- I think so. It's a cool night and we can snuggle up by the grill.

Arrow celebrated.

- And will appa sleep here today?

Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other, then the older one said:

- You know I don't live here, right? I have to go home and I'll be back tomorrow because I'm taking you, your father and your grandmas to daycare.

- But it's very cold outside, appa.

- And that's why I can't stay long. I just came by to see you.

Arrow nodded, but wasn't upset. He took a piece of pineapple that Donghae, cut and ate it, chuckling afterwards. The brown-haired man narrowed his eyes and shook his head, laughing too. Hyukjae smiled and so they each did their homework. Arrow only helped clean the mushrooms before going to watch TV with Ghost – although he had said he would help make the pizza.

- That boy… – Donghae said and looked at Hyukjae – How are you?

- Ah... I'm fine. How about you?

- I'm fine too. Yesterday I was making plans for the trip we're going to take to Jeju and I was wondering if you'll be upset if Arrow comes with me for a week.

- Oh no. It's fine by me.

- The Joo invited me and Wook who can't wait for the sun to come up again to take a week's vacation.

- Ah... So you only go after spring?

- Yes. Namazzi said it would be better to travel after her daughter was born so it helped me plan my employees' vacation.

- Well... I think it's okay. It's going to be important for you to take that time to travel and I know Arrow loves the beach more than anything in this life.

They laughed.

- It's a pity you can't accompany us on this trip.

- I'm fine with that. You guys just need to have fun, especially you.

Donghae smiled.

- Thank you for understanding.

And Hyukjae also smiled.

- I don't like to see the sparkle in your eyes go away. You're so fun and upbeat and I know you well enough to be sure you just want to let go of your shackles.

- Do you see all this?

- Of course I do. And you know that...

- Oh, no... – Arrow spoke loudly in a way that interrupted his parents – Dad, there's news on TV.

Donghae washed his hands and walked over to Arrow who was comfortably lying on the couch under a warm blanket. Hyukjae also approached and so they heard:

- A snowstorm hit the city this Friday night. Civil Defense asks citizens to stay at home and wait until morning so they can leave their homes. Here we have a list of the most affected neighborhoods...

And as the journalist listed the neighborhoods, Hyukjae threw back his head and said:

- It's the neighborhood I live in.

- You can spend the night here, Hyukjae. Don't forget I have a guest room.

And when Hyukjae was about to answer, Arrow stood on the couch and said:

- If you sleep here, appa, we can play.

- But you need sleep.

Arrow crossed his arms and pouted.

- I always have to sleep, eat carrots and wash my hair. I don’t want.

At that moment the parents laughed.

- Okay then. You can stay there awake while we go to sleep.

- And if you don't wash your hair, you can't have hair like Yesung's.

Arrow squinted and sat down to watch TV. Donghae found another channel with children's cartoons and so made the little one comfortable on the couch again. He and Hyukjae went back to the kitchen and the brown-haired man said:

- I still don't understand why he doesn't like to wash his hair. When Arrow was a baby everything got easier. He could eat carrots, sleep on time and we would wash his hair without a problem.

Hyukjae chuckled.

- I think that must be the age at which they start to challenge us. Arrow has been a lot naughtier than usual.

Donghae shook his head and heard Arrow giggle as he was enjoying watching the cartoon.

- I hope that mood improves soon. By the way, how about wine?

- It's a great idea. – Hyukjae smiled and watched Donghae taking a bottle of wine – Not wanting to be invasive, but have you been going to the gym?

Donghae chuckled.

- Yes. I go during lunch time because it's easier. I also go on weekends when Arrow is with you. Why the question?

- You have good arms. Not that they weren't good before, but now I can see more m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter