Twenty-two

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the car, Hyukjae still couldn't believe what had happened.

He never imagined that Ryeowook would throw a drink in Yunseo's face, but he also didn't understand what actually happened to start this mess. And as he looked at Yunseo, who was very upset, Hyukjae took a deep breath and asked:

- How did things turn out that way?

Yunseo sniffed, looked at Hyukjae and said:

- I think Ryeowook didn't understand my joke.

- What kind of joke did you make that he was pissed off like that?

- I... Well, he started a conversation with me and I said I didn't want to talk to him.

- And why?

- Because Ryeowook is Donghae's friend.

- And what does that have to do with it?

Yunseo sighed.

- I think it's jealousy because you and Donghae had a very intense thing and you guys still have a son, so I didn't want to talk to Ryeowook for fear of him mistreating me.

- Okay, but was that a reason for him to throw a drink in your face?

- No... He didn't understand the joke. I said if Arrow would like me more than Donghae, but it was just a joke.

And so Hyukjae understood everything and sighed.

- Yunseo, you can't play that kind of joke. First because it’s wrong to say that Arrow will like anyone more than he likes Donghae, second because Ryeowook defends Donghae tooth and nail.

- But it was just a joke.

- Anyway. You cannot do that. And I honestly don't like to hear you say that Arrow will like you more than he likes Donghae. Donghae is Arrow's father and brought him into the world, so don't do that again, please.

Yunseo took a deep breath, but nodded and said:

- I’m sorry. If I'd known all this would make a mess like this, I wouldn't have said anything.

- Just don't do it again.

Yunseo nodded and bit the corner of his mouth, pretending he was sorry for having played what wasn't a joke. But he was so angry because Ryeowook threw a drink in his face and in front of all those people. Yunseo was even angrier to know that Hyukjae, instead of defending him, still managed to stay by Donghae's side.

In short, Yunseo didn't like Donghae.

However, he didn't want to cause trouble that night and so he got calm and even laughed when Hyukjae talked about anything while driving home. After all, he might have been humiliated, but he considered himself victorious because he was the one going home with Hyukjae.

...O...
Two days later...

Donghae looked at Ryeowook and noticed that his friend didn't look too happy. He thought that maybe the blond had a fight with Yesung, but he didn't want to ask anything at all. However, when the cookies burned again, Donghae had to know what was going on.

And he hoped he could help.

- What happened, Wook?

Ryeowook looked at Donghae.

- What?

- You burned another batch of cookies. You know I hate to say this, but we're losing money. – as the blond sighed, the brown-haired man approached – Did you fight Yesung?

- No. Ah, Donghae... I met Yunseo.

Donghae arched an eyebrow.

- Who?

Ryeowook this time arched an eyebrow.

- Yunseo, Donghae. Hyukjae's boyfriend.

-Oh... – the brown-haired man didn't even remember this detail, since his life was very busy – So? Annoying?

Ryeowook hated to omit anything from Donghae, but at the same time he didn't want his best friend to feel bad when he learned that Yunseo said what he said. So he decided to tell part of the story:

- Unbearable. He treated me badly, do you believe that?

Donghae got surprised and very confused.

- Why did he treat you badly?

- Because he's a little jealous.

- Do you think he can mistreat Arrow?

Ryeowook squinted and said:

- Let him not be crazy to do that. It's one thing for him to mistreat me because he was jealous of me. I am an adult and I can defend myself. But if he mistreats Arrow, I won't let it go.

- Okay, I understand all this and I don't want you to go to jail. If he mistreats Arrow, I'll take care of it. I just don't understand why you're so angry and distant.

- Ah... Well, Yunseo ruined my night with Yesung. I got angry and Yesung thought we'd better leave after Yunseo and I had a little disagreement. – Ryeowook shrugged - You better make the cookies while I pack things for us to go out.

Donghae nodded and said:

- I know possibly more things happened, but I won't force you to tell me. I just hope you stay well and focused as we need to go to day care and all those kids are going to be asking for lots of cookies.

Ryeowook laughed.

- I can't believe we're going to participate in an event at the daycare center.

- And I can't believe Arrow was the child who suggested it. But I'm so proud of my baby. He was so excited when he suggested that Hyukjae make sandwiches and I make cookies.

- Arrow is an entrepreneur. – they laughed – But what about Kangin?

- What?

- Is he going to the event?

Donghae shook his head and said after putting a fresh batch of cookies in the oven:

- Kangin traveled yesterday. I think he went to Thailand because he needed to cover a sporting event.

- And is everything okay between you guys?

The brown-haired man sighed.

- I can't say. I think Kangin is so insecure... He tries not to show it, but is annoyed at the mere mention of Hyukjae's name.

- But now that Hyukjae is dating that insufferable one, will Kangin be jealous?

- He was always jealous, but now he seems to show more. You see... Kangin isn’t a bad person. He treats Arrow very well and enjoys being with us even though he knows he will never play a father role in my son's life. He is very patient and really likes me. Kangin is not with me just for being there. He could have left me a long time ago, since he found out I took that pregnancy test and asked why I didn't tell him.

- Oh... Did you guys fight?

- A little bit, but I apologized and said that I just didn't want to break the news that turned out to be a false alarm. – Donghae took a deep breath and took a look at the cookies – I really felt bad when he said he would have stayed by my side if I had decided to keep the child or not. But then we talked calmly about it and he apologized for being so angry. – the brown-haired man sat down – I so wanted this relationship to be different. I think I love Kangin, but it's not like I love Hyukjae. Maybe that's how I love you.

- With the difference that you him.

Donghae laughed and nodded.

- That's it. But... I think it's better to end this relationship, as I don't want Kangin to suffer from all my confusion.

Ryeowook nodded, but hugged Donghae and said:

- You can't think only of Kangin as if he were the basis of this relationship. You also have feelings. – and with that the blond kissed the top of the brown-haired man's head – Now let's finish these cookies.

Donghae nodded and thanked Ryeowook for supporting him. But really, the idea of ​​breaking up didn't leave his mind.

***

Hyukjae, Leeteuk and Heechul arrived at the daycare and saw the children running around as it was break time and they would play before the event started – although they would still play even more. And when Arrow saw his appa and his uncles, he grinned widely and ran towards them – giggling as Hyukjae carried him and kissed his cheeks. It was a very happy day for him.

- I also want to hug Arrow, Hyukjae. – Leeteuk said and smiled when he hugged the boy – I missed you. You only see Heechul.

- It's just that uncle Chullie takes Cherry to play with Ghost and he talks to daddy.

- So I need to take Shimkoong to play with Ghost and Cherry.

- But Shimkoong is a puppy, uncle Teukie. Isn't she going to fight Ghost and Cherry?

- I'm sure she is. – they laughed and Leeteuk hugged Arrow again – But it's great to hug you.

Arrow giggled and hugged Heechul who kissed his cheeks and said:

- Uncle Teuk is just jealous because I see you more often.

- But now you live with uncle Teukie, right, uncle Chullie? One day I'm going to ask daddy to take me there so we can see uncle Teukie.

- I can take you there too, you know? – Hyukjae kind of muttered and Arrow chuckled, saying:

- Look appa making fun.

And so they laughed and Arrow went back to playing with his little friends as the daycare director approached and greeted the three. Just then, Donghae and Ryeowook arrived and Hyukjae ran to help them with the boxes. The blond didn't even look at him, so the older one knew he would need to talk to him about what happened over the weekend.

- Thank you, Hyukjae. – Donghae said when Hyukjae took most of the boxes he was holding – I could take some, you know.

- Yeah, but I wanted to help. – he smiled and the brown-haired man nodded – So… How are you guys?

- I am fine. – Donghae replied and noticed that Ryeowook was pretending that Hyukjae wasn't there – So... Have you ever seen Arrow?

- Yes. He went to play again, but he will... – and he didn't even have a chance to finish, because Arrow literally ran as fast as an arrow and jumped on Donghae who carried him and hugged him. He was very affectionate.

- This has to be the happiest day of your life, doesn't it? – Ryeowook asked Arrow who nodded and hugged Donghae's neck – Ready to bake cookies?

- Are we going to bake cookies?

- Why not? – Donghae said – You can shape the biscuit as you like.

Arrow threw his little arms up and his parents and Ryeowook laughed. Hyukjae really wanted to talk to the blond, so he took advantage of Donghae getting distracted with his son and approached.

- Can we talk, Wook?

- I don't know if we should talk here.

- But it's fast. I just want to talk to you about what happened that day.

Ryeowook sighed but nodded and left the boxes in the kitchen. He greeted Heechul and Leeteuk and then went with Hyukjae, who also left the rest of the boxes and followed the blond. And as they went to a place where there were no children, Ryeowook said:

- Look, don't even waste your time if you're going to defend Yunseo. I don't regret it and I won't apologize.

- I didn't come here looking for regrets or apology. What I want to know is what actually happened.

- It happened that Yunseo mistreated me and said that if it were up to him, Arrow wouldn't even remember Donghae.

- He told me that.

Ryeowook arched an eyebrow.

- He did?

- Yes, but he said that the part about Arrow was just a joke that you didn’t understand and took very seriously.

Ryeowook laughed and shook his head.

- Did you really believe he made a joke? Hyukjae, Yunseo basically hinted that he can make Arrow like him more than Donghae. We know this isn't going to happen, but the boy is three years old anyway and I don't think it's fair that he's put in this crossfire.

- I will not let Arrow in crossfire.

- Dude, I believe you. It’s just that you can't just think it’s normal that this joke has been made.

- I didn't think it was normal and I even told Yunseo that I didn't like him making this “joke” because there is nothing that Donghae will be less loved by Arrow. He will respect what Donghae is in Arrow's life.

- At least that's what you expect.

- It’s what I want. – Hyukjae sighed – I've known you for over twenty years, Wook. I don't want to start a fight with you over this.

- I also don't want to fight you because I believe that our friendship is much bigger than that, but I've already told about it with Yesung and I'll tell to you now: Yunseo is not part of my life and I won't talk to him. I'm not going to apologize for acting the way I did and I don't want to know anything about him at all. Yunseo is part of your life and Shin and Yesung's life. I don't want to have any contact with him at all and I hope he understands and that you understand too.

Hyukjae nodded and said:

- So can we continue to be friends?

Ryeowook rolled his eyes, punched Hyukjae lightly on the shoulder and said as he smiled:

- Sure we can.

And with that Hyukjae was relieved. He didn't want to lose Ryeowook's friendship.

- But Wook...

- What?

- Did you tell Donghae what Yunseo said?

- No. I was afraid Donghae will have an anxiety attack and, although it's none of your business, he's having some problems with Kangin.

Hyukjae was surprised.

- Serious? I... Well, I hope they can work this out.

- I hope that too. But let’s go? Those kids are going to freak out if they haven't had sandwiches and cookies.

Hyukjae chuckled and nodded, following Ryeowook back to the kitchen so they could start preparing everything. Arrow was already playing with his classmates, so everyone could have some time to prepare what would be served to the children at the daycare and their parents as well, since the event was exactly to bring everyone together.

The daycare director loved the idea – although she found it a little hard to believe at first that it was Arrow's idea – and planned it all with Hyukjae and Donghae. She wanted more people to know about the daycare, as she knew there were a lot of children who couldn't stay in other daycare centers in the city. This was the place that would welcome children from anywhere as long as they lived in the country.

The parents, grandparents and uncles and aunts were arriving and Hyukjae mentally thanked him for bringing Heechul and Leeteuk – but he thought Donghae and Ryeowook were amazing as a team of two. They baked cookies (and at some point make three pies) as if it were all too easy. Hyukjae really admired them and enjoyed working with Donghae again after such a long time.

And despite being much focused on his work, Donghae looked quickly to the side and saw Hyukjae looking and smiling. He blushed slightly and smiled before turning his attention to the cookies that needed decorating. But it was as if they were in France again learning how to cook and bake. They always smiled at each other and Hyukjae would occasionally kiss Donghae (when the tutors weren't watching) and wink at him who chuckled softly and shook his head.

It was a time full of good memories for them.

But then the snack was ready and so the teachers started taking everything to the garden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter