Sixteen

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After consulting with Eleanor, Donghae returned to his pastry shop and smiled as he greeted the staff and some customers. Then he went to the kitchen and sanitized himself to help Ryeowook who happily hummed a song while making the buttery biscuit dough.

But upon feeling Donghae's presence in the kitchen, Ryeowook looked at his friend and asked:

- How was it? Are you feeling good?

Donghae sighed.

- Yes – and then took the chocolate to make delicious syrup – Talking about my feelings is something I didn't know I needed until it happened. We talk about a lot of things and I never imagined that I was neglecting certain things that are important to me.

- Well, I hope you can get everything in order. I even thought you weren't coming to work.

- I needed to come back. My mom picks Arrow up from daycare and Kangin comes to my house for pizza, so I want to at least be in a good mood later.

Ryeowook laughed.

- Want to knead this dough? That way you can take out all your frustration on something that won't be upset about.

Donghae chuckled and said:

- It won't be necessary. I'll calm down by making this berry cake.

Ryeowook nodded and so they continued working, but Donghae couldn't stop thinking about all that conversation he had with Eleanor. He still loved Hyukjae, however, he was with Kangin and his life wasn’t boring with his boyfriend. They had a lot of fun and did everything to include Arrow in every moment so that he at least felt that this new man would be his stepfather.

But Arrow, despite liking Kangin, didn’t know the concept that stepfather had and neither understood that that man would possibly be part of his life forever. Arrow just knew that Kangin was there and liked Donghae, so things felt good.

Donghae at that moment realized that there were three paths and that each went in a different direction. One path led to Hyukjae and the other led to Kangin while the middle one always led to Arrow. Donghae would choose Arrow above all others, but he knew that somehow someone would end up getting hurt by some decision.

Things just needed to be different.

~~~
Later...

Donghae came home and there was Arrow watching TV with his grandmother and Ghost. He smiled and waved, but then laughed as his son ran towards him and raised his little arms to receive his everyday hug. Donghae hugged him and kissed his cheeks as if life depended on it.

And Arrow was always giggling because he loved all that affection.

- Were you having fun with halmeoni? – Donghae asked as he sat on the couch with Arrow – Or were you giving her more white hair?

- Meoni was watching cartoon with me, dada.

- And he didn't make that usual mess in the shower. – Ari said and Donghae laughed.

- Fortunately. I couldn't handle cleaning that bathroom anymore. – and then let Arrow sit next to Ghost again – And how did he behave today? Were there any complaints about his behavior?

-The teacher said he behaved very well, although he had almost started a fight over a crayon.

Donghae sighed.

- He didn't hit the child, did he?

- No. He just tried to snatch the crayon from the boy's hand and started to cry. – Ari sighed – Arrow is very stubborn, Donghae.

And what could he do but agree?

- I need to call Hyukjae. I don't want to settle this without him.

Ari nodded and said when she got to her feet:

- Well, I was just waiting for you to arrive so I could go home. As much as I adore my grandson, I have a few things to do at home and plan to go to bed early tonight.

Donghae nodded and said:

- Just wait for me to shower, then. I don't trust leaving Arrow and Ghost alone here.

Ari chuckled and nodded. She carried Arrow and so the two watched TV while Ghost followed Donghae around the house. The brown-haired man shook his head, but he didn't mind the cat that climbed into his bed and snuggled into his pillow. He just grabbed his clothes and a towel and went to take a shower. Donghae wanted more time to be in the shower, but he wouldn't hold back his mother who needed to go home – luckily she lived upstairs, so it wouldn't be anything dangerous for her.

Then, after his bath, Donghae got dressed and thanked his mother for going to pick Arrow up and also for taking care of him. Ari, as always, said she adored her grandson and would always help her son take care of that adorable troublesome baby.

After several kisses on Arrow's cheek, Ari left and Donghae waited for Kangin to arrive. But he wanted to spend that time with his son who sat on his lap and started playing with his hair.

- Halmeoni said you cried at school. What happened?

- I wanted to color my drawing, but Gaeul didn't want to give me the crayon.

- And you hit him? – Arrow shook his head – You know, baby… I love you so much and I hope you understand that, but you can't fight with your buddies.

- But I wanted the crayon, dada.

- I know. You just can't fight people. When appa and I had a fight, you were sad. If you fight other people, they will be sad too. – Donghae took the cell phone and thought it best to call Hyukjae – How about if we talk to appa?

Arrow's little eyes sparkled and a wide smile appeared on his face as Donghae called Hyukjae and he appeared on the cell phone screen.

- What a surprise. – Hyukjae said – How are you?

- We're fine, Hyukjae. I just called so we could talk to Arrow about something really important.

Hyukjae nodded and got worried.

- What happened?

Donghae looked at Arrow who pouted and said:

- Gaeul didn't want to give me the crayon and I cried.

- Did you hit him? – Arrow shook his head – I'm glad you didn't hit Gaeul. We told you it's not a pretty thing to hit other people.

- I told him he shouldn't fight people, because they can be sad like he was sad when we fought.

- And your daddy is right, Arrow. You need to ask politely and wait your turn to use the crayons.

- But I just wanted to color my drawing.

- I understand that, but if Gaeul asked the crayon politely, you should have borrowed it and then taken it to finish your drawing.

With Arrow pouting, Hyukjae and Donghae understood that it would be easier if they would just advise (always educate him) and keep taking the boy to talk to Jangmi. After all, she could help them with all those issues they didn't quite know how to handle.

- You can't hit your little friends anymore, okay? And if they hit you, you have to tell your teacher. No fighting, understood?

Arrow nodded and Donghae said:

- And when someone is coloring with the crayons you want, you have to ask politely and wait your turn.

- And if you're coloring with crayon and someone asks you to, you need to say that you're just going to finish coloring before you lend the chalk.

Arrow nodded once more, understanding that all this meant not fighting his friends, and asked:

- To play too, papa?

- Yes. You can't be aggressive with your buddies. If you keep hitting them, they'll stay away from you and we know that's not what you want.

As Arrow was just nodding, Donghae asked:

- What did you understand about all that appa and I said?

Arrow pursed his lips and then said:

- Can't fight and can't hit buddies.

Hyukjae and Donghae were more relieved.

- So if you understand that, I'm very happy. I hope you stay that way.

Arrow smiled and said:

- I'll show you the drawing I made! – and he got down from Donghae's lap to get the paper that was in the backpack.

- Is that all that happened?

- Yes – Donghae replied – At least no one called me to say that Arrow set fire to the school. – they laughed softly – Are you ok?

- I had some problems today, but everything will be fine here. Also, I wanted to ask you something to know if you agree.

- And what it is?

- I want to shoot a video with Arrow to make a sandwich he really likes, so I need to know if it's okay for you if he shows up.

- Oh... That's fine for me. I bet Arrow will love to be in a video. – he smiled and looked at Arrow who climbed on the couch and sat on his lap – Did you bring the drawing?

- Yea! – he happily opened the paper and showed the drawing to his parents – This is papa, this is dada and this is me.

D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter