Seventeen

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday arrived and Donghae noticed that Arrow didn't look at all excited about that trip to the beach.

He even tried to cheer his son up saying that he could see the fishes and could swim in the sea, but Arrow didn't show that much interest and kept playing with Ghost that hours later went to Heechul's house.

And on the day of the trip, Arrow saw Donghae finishing packing. Ari was already there and ready for the weekend, but she was worried when she saw her grandson sitting on the couch playing with the loose lint.

- Donghae? – Ari called while Donghae closed the suitcase – Why is Arrow like that?

Donghae sighed.

- I think he doesn't want to go, but he can't stay because Hyukjae is working this night.

- Don't you want me to stay here with him? So you and Kangin can be alone and...

- Oh, mom... Arrow needs to get used to it. If I spoil him whenever he gets frustrated, life will be terrible for everyone. Also, his mood will change soon.

Ari arched an eyebrow and was about to ask why when she heard the doorbell ring. She then opened the door and smiled as Hyukjae waved and looked at Arrow who quickly climbed off the couch and ran to hug his appa.

- Oh! What a good hug! – Hyukjae laughed and kissed Arrow's cheeks – How are you?

- I wanna stay with you, papa. – he pouted and laid his head on Hyukjae's shoulder.

- Oh, baby... Why don't you want to travel and have fun? It's the beach after all. – and as the little one shook his head, Hyukjae continued – When you come back, we'll make that sandwich you like.

Arrow definitely didn't want to go, so he started crying to try to soften Hyukjae's heart. Donghae started to feel bad about the whole thing and was one step away from calling Kangin when the doorbell rang again. Ari opened the door and saw his son-in-law standing there smiling and waving, so he let him in and motioned to Donghae.

- Kangin... Hey. – the brown-haired man said and smiled after they kissed – Hmm… Hyukjae came here to see Arrow before we travel.

Kangin nodded and greeted Hyukjae, but realized that Arrow was crying.

- What happened?

- I think Arrow doesn't want to go.

- Do you want to cancel the trip then?

Donghae was about to respond, but Hyukjae got to his feet – with Arrow still hugging his neck like life depended on it – and said:

- Don't cancel the trip. I'll talk to Arrow and be right back. – they nodded and saw Hyukjae leave the house, but he didn't go very far. As Donghae was very fond of the backyard, he made a vegetable garden there and there was a very comfortable bench. They sat there and Hyukjae said – You know… Dad really wants you to go on this trip. Why do not you want to go?

- Because I don't wanna stay away from you, papa. He sniffed and rubbed his little eyes.

- But we're only going to be away for two days. – Hyukjae made the sign with his two fingers and Arrow sniffed – And if you want to talk to me, just ask your father to call me. I'm not going away. And like I said, we'll make you a delicious sandwich when you get back.

Arrow giggled.

- I wanna three sandwiches. – he showed three chubby fingers and Hyukjae laughed.

- So three sandwiches. – and then hugged Arrow – You will see the sea and many shells. Remember I showed you a picture of the sea? – the little one nodded – So you'll like the sea, but you can't drink sea water.

Arrow nodded and hugged Hyukjae. He didn't want to go, but he also didn't want to stay away from Donghae. His little heart was in a conflict that he didn't even understand yet. Then, after Hyukjae put him down, Arrow took his appa's hand and they entered the house. Donghae looked at them and smiled as his son hugged his leg and smiled.

Donghae knew Arrow too well to see that he was still sad about having to leave Hyukjae. It wasn't the first time the brown-haired man had seen that sad gleam in the boy's eyes.

- So… – Hyukjae cleared his throat – I think I'm leaving now. Do you need help?

- Ah... I don't think so. – Kangin said – I'll take the bags.

Hyukjae nodded and hugged Arrow again as the boy stretched his arms so his appa could carry him to the car. And after putting his son in the car seat, Hyukjae kissed his forehead and waved. Arrow pouted and waved as his appa pulled away so Ari could sit next to him.

It looked like they were saying their goodbyes as if Arrow were traveling to another country, but actually he was just going to see the beach and he wasn't even leaving Korea..

And after also waving at Donghae, who waved and thanked him for showing up, Hyukjae saw the car drive away. He couldn't help the fear he felt that Arrow would like Kangin more and end up calling him appa. It was strange and maybe even childish, but he was very scared.

Anyway, Hyukjae couldn't stay there and got into his car so he could meet Yesung who was waiting for him downtown to buy new equipment to record videos. Hyukjae luckily made it there in less than an hour and saw his friend talking to someone who looked like a model.

Hyukjae then got out of the car and greeted them, smiling as Yesung patted him twice on the back and asked:

- Cried a lot?

- Arrow or me?

- Both.

Hyukjae laughed.

- He cried, but I managed to convince him that going to the beach is really cool. Arrow is a smart baby.

- Of course he is. – Yesung smiled – Well, by the way, this is Han Yunseo. Shindong and I worked on editing his videos.

Hyukjae looked at Han Yunseo and smiled as he greeted him again. Yunseo had a totally different style with his blond hair, soft makeup, a nose ring and cartoon tattoos on his arms. He was also wearing a T-shirt and shorts – and Hyukjae had to admit that he found Yunseo's smile charming.

- So are you the famous Lee Hyukjae that Yesung talked so much about?

- Possibly. But I don't remember you because no one ever told me about you, so I'm sorry.

Yunseo laughed.

- I make videos about makeup and cosplay. Of course my channel isn't as popular as yours, but I've already reached 1.5 million subscribers. – as Hyukjae nodded and smiled, Yunseo continued – You are the owner and chef of Scarecrow, aren't you?

- Yes. Have you been there?

- A million times I guess, but I never got to meet the chef to say how delicious the food was.

Hyukjae didn't stop smiling and Yesung noticed it.

- You can go there whenever you want. Today I have to work in the market.

- And will you make a special dish for me?

Hyukjae noticed they were flirting, but he wasn't bothered. He laughed and replied:

- I can, but you'll have to pay anyway.

And Yunseo, who really didn't mind being blatantly flirting with Hyukjae, shrugged and said:

- I'll pay you with a kiss and we're even.

With that, they laughed and Yesung said:

- That was very quick and unexpected.

Yunseo smiled.

- You know I'm just kidding. – and then he looked at Hyukjae – But not about the kiss.

At that moment Hyukjae blushed and scratched the back of his neck as he smiled. It had been so long since the last time he flirted with anyone – that person being Donghae – that he didn't know how to react correctly.

- Oh… Well...

Yunseo chuckled and said:

- I think I better go now before Hyukjae panics, but it was great to meet you.

- I say the same.

Yunseo waved and walked away while Hyukjae watched him. Yesung then laughed and commented:

- I can't believe this just happened right under my nose.

Hyukjae looked at him.

- What?

- You flirted with Yunseo.

- Oh... Well, he's cute and seems to have a nice conversation.

- Want to have a date?

Hyukjae arched an eyebrow and was about to mock Yesung when he realized that it had been a long time and that he had nothing to lose. After all, a date wouldn't automatically mean they were a couple.

- I don't want to think about it now. Let's buy the equipment so I can go to work.

Yesung chuckled.

- Of course, of course... But don't run away from the subject like that.

Hyukjae shrugged and followed Yesung into the shop so he could buy the equipment. Always on a weekend Hyukjae took Leeteuk and Heechul to make food at the market in a shop where the chef was a partner. He would have asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter