Three

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With Hyukjae finally resting in the guest room, and Arrow sleeping peacefully in the crib, Donghae went to bathe and do some important things. Having a baby at home was exhausting, even with help, but he thought everything was fine enough so that moment of silence in his home could happen.

But Donghae was happy.

If his mother could see him, she would say for sure that he was radiant – and that was definitely not a bad thing.

Donghae has been through so many things in the last few months, such as a change of mood, weight gain, his hair became dry, his skin no longer looked the same... Any compliment at that moment would make him happy. He knew that Hyukjae would have praised him by saying that he was still the most perfect human being in the world – something that his ex-boyfriend repeated during the relationship – but now things were totally different.

If Hyukjae praised him, Donghae would never know.

And he wanted to know?

Probably.

Donghae was still a ruddy mess because of that kiss on the top of his head. And as if things couldn't get any worse, he still had to deal with the fact that Hyukjae – the only love of his life – would be gone in twelve days. Donghae knew that one day it would happen, but he was not prepared to wake up and see that Hyukjae wasn’t there making breakfast or wouldn’t be there to play with Arrow and distract him whenever he started to cry.

Donghae knew very well that Hyukjae would never abandon Arrow and neither would he. Hyukjae was the type of person who fought for what he wanted, but couldn’t fight to get back his relationship with Donghae. The two were still hurt, although they wouldn’t admit it, and each had to go their own way.

The only problem was that Donghae would miss Hyukjae.

They spent the last few days talking about things that weren't just about Arrow. They were still best friends and not just for the baby, but because they always walked this path. Hyukjae and Donghae had known each other since the age of thirteen and only started dating when they went to France, at the age of 20. They were together for six years until in January of that year the relationship ended.

But still, Donghae – when he was in Mokpo – couldn't stop thinking about how productive his conversations with Hyukjae were. Before Arrow, they didn't talk about having a family. They thought of having a better home so they could spend the rest of their lives together, but they never included a child in their lives. They talked about subjects they had in common and there were also those days when they just sat on the balcony of the apartment and drank beer and ate some food that Hyukjae made. There were times when they played games and hosted their friends for parties that lasted all night – when Hyukjae closed the restaurant once a month.

And when going to Mokpo, Donghae lost all of that.

And now that he returned to Seoul, he wasn’t sure he was going to get it all back.

- Donghae? – Hyukjae called and Donghae raised his head, smiling as soon as he took off his glasses – I think I overslept.

- You hardly slept after we came here.

Hyukjae shrugged and said while picking up a box of strawberry milk from the fridge:

- I think I'm used to sleeping after four in the morning, so I don't care much. But I really needed to sleep.

- You can sleep when you feel the need to sleep, Hyukjae. Arrow was calm all the time and only grunted because he peed. Ah! You need to teach me how to set up the heater in his room. Arrow's nose was cold and I had to put on another blanket and a cap so that his little body would be warm.

Hyukjae nodded, drank strawberry milk and said:

- I'll do it now and... – they heard Arrow cry – What timing...

Donghae laughed and said:

- I'll get the milk. I feel that he's hungry.

Hyukjae nodded and went to Arrow's bedroom to pick up his son who pouted and tried to move, but that blanket prevented him from doing so. Hyukjae laughed, shook his head and said:

- Your father is very stubborn. Don't be like him, please. – and kissed the boy's cheek – Shall we eat something?

Hyukjae left the bedroom and took Arrow to the kitchen where Donghae carried him and pecked his baby's chubby cheeks.

- Hey, little star. Let's fill this cute little tummy? – he sat on the couch when he went to the living room and smiled as soon as Arrow started to drink the milk – As I said, Arrow is hungry.

Hyukjae laughed.

- And I imagine you are too, so I'm going to take a shower to make dinner.

- Ah, Hyukjae... How about we dine out today? – and Donghae didn't even know why he suggested it, since his ex-boyfriend was surprised – But we can stay here too and...

- Oh, no... I think it's a perfect idea, Donghae. We need to go out a little; you need to leave the house a little bit. Since we came here, you just stayed here. – and as Donghae pursed his lips and looked away, Hyukjae sat next to him and asked – Did something happen that you don't want to tell me?

And after a long sigh, the brown-haired man asked:

- It's just that I'm ashamed.

- Ashamed of what?

- My body. – he looked at his ex-boyfriend who listened carefully – When we left the hospital, I heard some nurses saying something very bad about me. And I'm not going to repeat what it was, so don't ask me.

- I won’t. Don’t worry. – Hyukjae smiled and caressed Donghae's shoulder – Whatever these people said, don't take it into your life. You know how amazing you are.

Donghae blushed slightly and smiled.

- Do you still think I'm amazing?

- Of course I do. Everything about you is amazing and special. You don't need to be ashamed of being overweight or scarred.

- But the stretch marks...

- What about them?

- They are here and possibly won’t leave.

Hyukjae sighed and thought of saying something that would make Donghae better, since his eyes were full of unshed tears. Then, taking a risk, he held his ex-boyfriend's chin and said:

- I don't know what I can say to make you comfortable with your own body, but I want you to remember that you are the person who can do most anything. And if my support is sufficient, I will always be here.

Donghae smiled and let the tears stain his face. And he didn't even bother when Hyukjae came over and hugged him after kissing his forehead. It was what Donghae needed. He needed a hug that would keep him calm and Hyukjae was the only one who could hug him that way.

***

After taking a shower, Hyukjae got dressed and took out his cell phone. Arrow was with Donghae in the living room so they could go out to dinner. It was an unusual situation to say the least, but he wasn't complaining. Hyukjae was too happy because he was going out with Donghae and Arrow as if they were a family – which in a way they were.

And after leaving the bedroom, he went to the living room and saw Donghae playing with Arrow who was staring at his father. The brown-haired man chuckled, brushed his finger on his son's chin and said:

- Look who finally got out of the bath, baby. Appa takes a long time, right?

- You take much longer, Donghae. – and so they laughed – But have you decided where we should go?

- How about we go to Scarecrow?

And Hyukjae has never been happier. He missed his restaurant.

- Let’s go there. I'm sure Leeteuk and Heechul will freak out when we get there.

Donghae laughed and wrapped Arrow in a comfortable blanket while Hyukjae carried the bag and the stroller to the car. After everything was ready, they were finally able to head towards the restaurant.

- Can we go for a walk after dinner if it's not too cold?

- Of course we can. We will do what you want. – Hyukjae smiled at Donghae who smiled back and looked at Arrow – Ah! I almost forgot, but my mom is coming tomorrow.

- You will finally meet the other grandma, Arrow. She is amazing.

Arrow looked at Donghae and held his finger, looking around next. He wanted to know where Hyukjae was, so he ended up whining when he didn't find his appa.

- What's it?

- I think he's looking for you, Hyukjae.

Hyukjae laughed and looked at Arrow in the rearview mirror.

- Appa is here, Arrow. The only problem is that appa can't talk much, because he needs to drive. But I'm here.

Arrow heard Hyukjae's voice and looked at Donghae, who kissed his forehead and caressed his brown hair. The way was smooth and with little conversation, but all this because Donghae and Arrow ended up dozing off. And when they finally arrived, Hyukjae parked the car and woke up his ex-boyfriend who rubbed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter