The Fox and The Head Housekeeper

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 04 | Track 05 | Track 06

 

In everyone’s eyes, the closest thing that Rara should have studied in college in order to walk a path that showcased her talent in art was architecture. But that was because becoming an architect was practical and it would earn quite an amount of money while she drew—the ideal course that Rara would have chosen if only people wouldn’t say it was useless, was undoubtedly fine arts. She was not so good at the art of infrastructures; she preferred objects, people, and the likes. Buildings were not really her forte.

And even though she was not knowledgeable in buildings, she was sure that the mansion her future boss had lived in was a beautiful home. It was made of bricks—walls and walls of hard rock that seemed to be collapsing, but once Rara touched the surface, it seemed sturdy. She admired it as it appeared strong and at the same time, delicate. There were rows of porcelain-white arched windows on either side of the mansion. It was surrounded by bushes of flowers—mostly daisies and dandelions. The mansion as a whole was surrounded by the earth, which is something she had learned to appreciate a lot more, after studying the science of life for 4 years. Rara looked at the mansion intently. She thought the mansion originally wanted to scare off people but it also urged people to come in. The idea of inviting yourself in seemed perilous, and then it didn’t.

She stepped on the cemented stairs and pushed the doorbell. An old, strict-looking, lady opened the door and looked at her from head to toe, which ticked off Rara a bit—she hated being observed or being looked at. The old lady must have noticed her indifference and gave her a smile that meant to be gentle but came out as awkward instead. She ushered her into the living room. It seems like there were a couple of people who applied for the job. After all, Rara wasn’t the only one in the world passionate about art. There were about twenty people, and as expected from artists, they all looked diverse to her. Some sported outrageous hair colors, and some looked like they just got out of bed and grabbed the first piece of clothing they got ahold of inside their wardrobe while some wore pieces of clothes that screamed high fashion.

This job interview isn’t probably formal, judging by the way everyone dressed for this job so she just tried to look decent, at the same time herself, just to show Mr. Byun that she’s remaining herself from the beginning until the end of the job. She isn’t even sure if she’s going to go more than six months, since that’s what Kyung Mi only asked for. She tried to convince herself that this was just a dare but she can’t help but feel excited to get paid for doing something she loved.

Upon entering, she noticed why this job was posted. Indeed, the halls and the high ceilings of the mansion were magnificent and breathtaking. The pillars stood tall side by side along the crimson walls and in between each pillar was...nothing. No ornaments or antiques; just plain, white walls. Now that she thought about it, if it weren’t for the large opening in the east wing that led to the dining room and the second floor, with the marble flooring and the vintage furniture laid out in the living room, the inner workings of the mansion resembled a museum—only that the masterpieces were missing.

Suddenly a wave of nervousness came over her as she thought if her paintings would be worthy of these walls—had she even considered if her paintings had the ability to brighten up a house? How much more a mansion?

“Well, don’t you look young.” a female voice choruse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter