Mystery loves Company

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 25 | Track 26 | Track 27

 

“There’s something missing,” Baekhyun observed Rara’s painting warily.

Criticisms were welcome, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t bother Rara more than they should. “And that is?”

“I should’ve bought glow-in-the-dark paint because this could become way better than it is with just normal acrylic paint. Imagine how this would look when all the lights are off.” Baekhyun suggested. He looked up at her with a very satisfied smile. “But it’s very beautiful, nonetheless. Your painting could only be understood if you thought deeply about it, but I think once people read the line and look at your painting, I bet those two things would fall into place like puzzle pieces.” An astonished look cast upon his face. “You really thought this through, didn’t you? I can tell by the detail and work this took that you were not playing this half-baked.” He said as he admired the painting one more time.

“I wasn’t playing in the first place. Let’s start there, Baekhyun,” Rara said in a steady voice. “But honestly, do you like it?”

Baekhyun looked at her like she just slapped him in the face. “I don’t like it—I adore it. Let’s start there, Rara.” He said, imitating the intensity in Rara’s voice.

Rara laughed lightly. For a person she met no less than a week, Baekhyun knew one way or another how to handle a personality like hers. “Phew. I’m relieved.” She let out a satiated sigh as she put her hand on her chest. “And delighted that you appreciate it, of course.”

“Of course,” Baekhyun replied gratefully. “Not everyone in the world can breathe life into two lines through inanimate objects such as this painting.” He remarked. “Do you want to pick the next topic for the painting next week or would you like to do it when you come back on Monday?”

Rara put some thought into it. Now that school was out, accomplishing worksheets and homework was not much of a concern anymore. She usually did all of those when she took her time staying at a coffee shop over the weekend and with those absent, she could dive into her endless list of unread books, however, a swift reader like her would finish those in not time. In fact, she had made a silent deal with herself not to read all of the books on her list at a fast pace.

Accepting the next assignment would be convenient; it will give her more reason to stay and chill without running out of material to read.

“Let’s do it now, so when I come back on Monday, I’ll come back prepared.”

Baekhyun took out the bowl of ideas and pushed it lightly towards her. With a subtle nod from her boss, Rara’s hand dived inside the bow for the second time this month. Fishing for the perfect star, she caught one in her hands and brought it close to her face while unraveling it. It read:

And I would take the light out of the stars to help you see;

anything to guide you straight to me.

“This one is lovely.” Rara complimented. “In fact, it’s so lovely I’d have to tug on the roots of my heart to get an inspiration for this.”

“Oh, I’m sure you’ve been in love before.”

Rara raised her index finger, wiggling it in disapproval. “Don’t speak your truths like it’s the same for others,” She said. “You’re the one who’s in love, not me. But all is well, I don’t need it. I just need enough emotion to pull me inside this one and when I do, you’ll get a decent painting from me.”

Baekhyun gave her a contented smile. “Whatever you say.”

“I’m curious though...the inspiration for these ideas is your wife, right?” A jolt coursed through Rara’s body as soon as the question escaped her lips. She realized maybe that question was something you asked when you’ve known a person longer than just a week. “I’m sorry, foot-in-the-mouth disease,” She added immediately laughing demurely. “you don’t have to answer that if it’s too personal.”

“Yes, she’s the one,” Baekhyun looked at his wristwatch and back at Rara. “and she’s also something to talk about on a different day because right now, I need to go.” Rara wondered why he was off somewhere so early—it was a Saturday; there was no work. But then she also figured out it was the weekend and even the early birds like Baekhyun could be up early in the morning to go out and do something that is not company or apprentice work.

 

She bid goodbye to her boss as she was left inside the mansion waiting for Shinae to come and pick her up in a couple of minutes. While waiting, she stayed inside the art studio and tidied up the place. She took out a new blank canvas and put it on the easel she has been using. Staring at the blank canvas for a while, her eyes gazed upon the first painting she did that was sitting on another easel far inside the studio. Baekhyun had decided that he wanted to put them up in the wall out in the living room, in groups of four. So while he waited for another three paintings, it would just stay there in the art studio for the meantime.

Truthfully, it was hard for Rara to give away her paintings. She always held them close to her heart. She was always afraid that they would end up in the wrong hands and be underappreciated. But with Baekhyun, she felt that he was a keeper. She didn’t need to worry whether she was putting in too much effort because she got enough recognition from her boss—for he had paid her more than she expected for a painting not done by a professional artist.

A sound came from her phone, indicating that there was a notification. She unlocked it and found that Shinae texted her that she was outside, waiting. She put her phone inside her pocket and went out of the art studio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter