Dinner

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 22 | Track 23 | Track 24

 

Analogies were a common thing in written exams.

Example: Artist is to art studio; chef is to kitchen.

But would it be possible to have more than one thing related to you?

Rara is to art, is to books, and well, is to food.

 

Every single appliance in the kitchen was made of stainless steel. If you’ve played Sims before, you’d know there were decent houses, expensive houses, and those houses that didn’t cost Simoleons. If Baekhyun’s mansion was for sale in the Sims universe, no doubt, you’d have to pay either Lifestyle Points or Social Points to buy it.

All of the appliances were present—from designer ovens to toasters to microwaves. Aerin, the maid that offered to show her around, showed her all the utensils stacked up properly on their respective shelves. But what attracted her the most was where they kept the food, which seemingly resembled a mini grocery, just as she thought. “Master Baekhyun is prepared to conquer a zombie apocalypse, don’t you think, Miss?” Aerin said. And he definitely was. “Yup. All he needs is a room where to hide all the firearms; he can definitely protect you all and keep you alive.” Rara replied coolly. Her blunt response had earned an ambiguous look from Aerin which made Rara a little bit...lost. Why was she being looked at that way? Unable to speak, Aerin went ahead and said, “That won’t be necessary, really.” Rara’s heart probably shot up through . Did that mean Baekhyun already had a room with something better than firearms? Maybe she should start taking the whole mafia theory seriously.

Setting aside one of the many weird conversations she’s had since she started living in the mansion, she went back to inspect the mini grocery. Sections, like in supermarkets, divided everything—dairy, drinks, beef, etc. There was a freezer for ice cream that came in different forms and sizes. Truly, if this was Sims, Baekhyun would have probably been at a level you thought was unachievable.

There was a medium-sized whiteboard on the wall just beside the wall rack that held everyone’s apron when it was time to work. The whiteboard was used as a calendar for food. If a normal calendar had your schedules and daily routine, this one in the kitchen had the menu of the day which she guessed was for Baekhyun—since the name of the dishes sounded straight out of a 5-star restaurant; Super Fast Beef Hash, Baby Lamb Chops with Lemon, Smoked Beef Brisket—you name it. It was also specified to have them in the leanest cut. Even fruit salads listed specified the fruits he wanted in the salad. Other than the succulent entree written before her, she also found some of the magnets that they used to stick the notes to the board pretty cute, the one with smiling suns. Others were just plain magnets with marble designs.

She caught a glimpse of the wall clock above the whiteboard and was alarmed to find out that she had been in the kitchen for about half an hour. She thanked Aerin for the time and excused herself to the art studio where she started to pick up the brush and didn’t put it down for another couple of hours.

 

Observing her painting, she was 50% done.

She can get it done this week. Checking the time again, it was already past six o’clock in the evening. She decided to go to her room and lie down for a bit. She grabbed her phone from the nightstand and messaged Kyung Mi and Shinae about the whole zombie thing and asked if she was supposed to be worried about firearms—what if they were bought illegally? What if he was really a mafia boss?

‘Look who’s worried now,’ Kyung Mi texted. ‘I told you to be cautious.’

‘What’s better than guns and rifles?’ Shinae asked. ‘Lasers?’

Rara rolled her eyes as she bit back a smile from Shinae’s reply. ‘What now? He’s a mafia slash mad scientist? Plot twist: The zombie apocalypse was his fault.’

‘Oh, brother, here we go again,’ Kyung Mi replied. Rara laughed at her reply; she could literally hear Kyung Mi groan inside her head. ‘Why the hell do these gorgeous guys have to be mysterious?’

‘So you’ll chase after them, duh. Kyung Mi, step up your game, this is why you don’t have a boyfriend.’ Shinae responded.

The ellipsis was loading longer than usual. Uh-oh, I think that hit Kyung Mi. She thought. ‘You’ll get a boyfriend, Kyung Mi. In time.’ Rara texted, attempting to lighten up the mood. She also sent a whole batch of assorted heart emojis.

‘No thanks, I don’t need one Rara.’ Kyung Mi replied. ‘I’m a strong, independent woman.’

‘Get your own lines, woman!’ Shinae responded.

Rara laughed at their conversation. Suddenly, it occurred to her, they were no longer classmates and that they won’t be taking the same classes together. She wasn’t too emotional during their graduation, but now that thought of maintaining a connection between people who were destined to go different ways as she did kind of made her sad.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter