Gemini, Revamped

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 167 | ROSES (feat. ROZES) by The Chainsmokers

 

“Did you tell the twins that I died or something?”

“Of course not.” Baekhyun huffed. “I told them you were studying abroad.”

“And what about the holidays? What did you tell them when I didn’t come home?”

“That you were really busy.” He said. “Don’t worry, I always told them that you loved them dearly.”

“Do you think they’ll recognize me?”

“Yeah. Because Shinae and Kyung Mi shows them see photos of you from time to time, though I don’t think you have aged since the last time you held either Bomi or Rin.”

“They never wondered why Shinae and Kyung Mi got to see me and they didn’t?”

“They were always so jealous of unnie or noona for getting to see their mom, and they’d ask either Shinae and Kyung Mi to take them to see you.” Baekhyun chuckled at the memory of four-year-old Bomi and Rin begging their godmothers to see Rara, but always ended up just having them send their best regards and love to their mom. “I think at some point both Shinae and Kyung Mi wanted to give in and just tell you.”

“I can imagine.”

 

When Rara got out of the car and saw their house, the Park household, she was flooded with memories—how she’d see this view when she was coming home from school. How her parents would be home, and they’d ask her how the day was, and share something about their day as well. How she grew up with—

“Well, this marks the end of me being the only child.” A familiar deep voice said from afar. “Sad. I loved being spoiled.”

Rara shifted her attention to the person who said that and sure enough, her older brother was standing a few feet away from her. Her face lit up like a Christmas tree at the sight of Chanyeol, and she sped her way towards him, giving him a powerful bear hug. Chanyeol stumbled a bit, and laughed at his sister’s immediate attack. It was then he realized that she was silently crying. He rubbed her back to soothe her before embracing her back.

“Yeol, thanks for protecting me.” Rara quietly sobbed. “I would have died alone in the streets without you.”

“I would have held a funeral for you, still.” Chanyeol joked.

Rara punched him lightly at the back and pulled away to wipe her tears. She looked up to her tall brother and said, “I’ll never be half the vampire you are, Yeol. I’m so lucky to have you as my brother, even if we’re born from different mothers.”

“Hey, don’t make me cry, nitwit.” Chanyeol flicked her forehead with a smile. “Just doing the duty of an older brother.”

“Also, sorry for the scuba diving three years ago.” Rara grinned sympathetically. “It was pretty fun though.”

Chanyeol remembered the day he was informed about the scuba diving Rara needed to do for their Marine Biology subject. As much as possible, she was allowed to do things that her course in General Biology required her to do. Shinae and Kyung Mi were on the lookout, but even they couldn’t stop Rara from joining such activity. So he had their old butler who was posing as her uncle, storm at her apartment and act like he was about to have a heart attack from being so mad at her for even considering to push through with the scuba diving. But still, aside from the fact that she wanted to go, it was their final examination for the laboratory to do a coral reef assessment. There was only so much a complaint could do and of course, Rara needed to learn, and she needed a score, so Chanyeol eventually let her go, even though he feared that something would happen to her while she’s surrounded by her weakness.

“It’s also fun to be in a business meeting, thinking, ‘Oh God, my sister could be dying any moment now and it’s all because of me’ while, you know, calculating stocks and investments.” Chanyeol replied flatly. “But hey, here you are.”

“Wow, you cry upon seeing Chanyeol, but no tears for me?” Baekhyun said, appearing beside her.

“I’m sure she would’ve cried Baekhyun, had you not hooked up with her months ago.” Chanyeol joked with a sneaky grin. Rara scowled at him, making her older brother laugh. “Hey, God could have given you the smoothest, perfectly sculpted trachea, and you still wouldn’t swallow your pride.”

Rara shrugged and said, “Well, you have a point.”

 

Chansung and Ahreum couldn’t help but tear up at the sight of their daughter back in their arms. Ahyoung was there as well, bawling that her only granddaughter was good and well. But what drowned Rara in so much emotion was seeing her great grandfather still alive—much older, but he looked better than the last time she saw him. Everyone went about their routine to leave Rara and Jaehyun to talk at the kitchen, where they were served with chamomile tea.

 

“Welcome back, Rara.”

“Long overdue, but right back at you, Gramps.” Rara greeted with a smile. “You okay, Gramps?”

“Never been better.” He replied. “And you? How do you feel now that you remember everything?”

“Yeah, uh, kinda like being tipsy, I guess?” Rara chuckled. “I mean...the person I became six years ago would have never seen this coming. She would’ve loved the idea of being a vampire but,” Rara thought for a while. “she would have fallen to her knees if she learned that I was engaged. I mean, she was bent on being single for the rest of her life because she can’t handle life with someone else.”

“Ah, yes, you became the person you were before you met Baekhyun.” Jaehyun smiled knowingly at her. He looked down on his teacup and stirred the tea in a slow manner. “I’m still stunned by what happened the last time we saw each other. You both loved each other so much that it manifested itself like a thousand arrows sent flying through the air—not only did it affect you guys, but the people around you as well. I kid you not, child. I was pierced.”

“I know.” Rara replied silently. “I told Baekhyun I was bummed that I was forced to forget about our time together, for six years.” to be the one to forget. “I kinda hoped that my brain could counter Hyorin’s powers but I guess not.”

“There is only so much that our superhuman strength can do.” Jaehyun reminded. “On the contrary, more than Hyorin’s abilities or our prized ability to control different colors of fire, the one thing that can do most is love.” He said. “Cheesy, yes, but for Baekhyun to keep his sanity these past six years was quite a feat. Impressive, especially he’s known to be...” Jaehyun paused for a while and looked at Rara with a raised eyebrow. “Insatiable.”

Rara’s eyeballs almost popped out of her eye sockets at her great grandfather’s remark. While her love was built on words that made it deep and consuming, Baekhyun’s was composed of actions; he was primal and ultimately passionate. He always had a lot to show, which made him impossible to satisfy. “Can’t argue with that.”

“Oh, uh, can I ask you a favor, Rara?”

“Sure, Gramps.” Rara replied eagerly. “Anything.”

“Can you please fetch the black book?” He requested. “It’s at the wooden side table in the backyard. I was strolling in the garden, reading. I think I left it there.”

Rara stood up and beamed at her great grandfather, before turning around and headed to the kitchen back door. “Yeah, in a minute, Gramps.”

 

The smell of the earth greeted Rara as she opened the back door. She used to play around their backyard as a kid; most of the time with Chanyeol. She spotted the black book on the small wooden table beside a folding chair a few meters away from her. She leisurely walked towards her destination then she felt someone bump into her with so much force that she instantly fell on her back on the grass.

 

Rara winced at the slight pain on her back, blinking furiously as to who purposely ran towards her.

“Hey Ri! It’s really our mom!” A little girl’s voice said. “Mum! You’re finally home!!”

Mum? What? Rara thought. Her vision started to focus on the small figure on her stomach—then she realized it was one of her twins; Bomi.

Rara slowly sat up and stared at Bomi who was looking at her excitedly, like she was a shiny new toy. “Bomi?” She whispered, putting her hand on her tiny shoulder. “You’ve grown so much...you were so little back then.”

“You didn’t have to jump at her, Bomi.” A quiet voice said. Rara turned around and saw a little boy approaching them. It was Rin. And he had grown as much as his twin sister did. Rara looked at them back and forth, and they could really pass up as her and Baekhyun when they were kids. By now, they were both six years old. “Hi, Mum.” He greeted quietly. “We missed you tons.” He’s an introvert. He got my personality. And Bomi’s the exact opposite; she’s mini Baekhyun.

“Tons and tons and tons!” Bomi added, hugging her tightly. “You won’t be back at school soon, are you, Mum?!” Rara could hear the yearning in Bomi’s voice when she asked that question. Medicine can wait next year. “No, I don’t think so, Bomi.” Her face lit up and she hugged her even more. Rin also gave her a hug after seeing that Bomi took her time inside their mother’s embrace. There was warmth from both of them, mostly from Rin because Rara knew he was a wolf, but it was not the physical kind of warmth. It was the kind of warmth that spread across your system when something right happens.

Bomi pulled away abruptly and said, “Mum, you never sleep too right? Like me?”

Rara chuckled at her question. “Yes. Like you.” Baekhyun must have told them what they really are.

“You should have been the wolf, Bomi.” Rin said with a snicker, sitting down beside his mom. “You need an off button.”

Bomi stuck out her tongue at Rin. “You’re just jealous.”

“Jealous my .”

Rara laughed lightly—the twins even inherited arguing from both her and Baekhyun. “Okay guys, keep it down. No more fighting.”

“You should listen to Mum, Bomi.” Rin grumbled. “The lights flicker when you throw tantrums.”

“I can’t help it, you know.”

The lights flicker? Rara thought. Bomi must’ve inherited Baekhyun’s light. I don’t think there’s a vampire who can control light, because that’s a wolf’s element. “Huh.” Rara mumbled. “You’re just like your dad.”

“Well, your tantrums can result in forest fires, Rin! You’re no better!”

Rara turned to Rin, who was sitting beside her.

“Don’t worry Mum, Peepaw teaches me how to control them though.” Rin said, assuring his mother. Peepaw? Rara inwardly laughed. That must be Gramps. “You wanna count fire with me, Mum?”

So Rin got my abilities, huh? He’s like Chanyeol—a wolf with the gift of fire. Rara thought. “Sure, kid.”

Both of them held their pinky up. “One.” They both chorused, and a small flicker of orange fire appeared. “Two.” Blue fire appeared on the tip of their ring finger. “Three.” As the purple flames appeared on the ends of their middle fingers, Rara’s heartbeat picked up the pace. Could it be that...”Four.” When the legendary black flames appeared on their index fingers, Rara was astonished—her son had inherited the rare ability of wielding all four colors of fire.

“That’s quite impressive, Rin.” Rara whispered with awe, as the fire dissolved from the tips of their fingers.

“The black ones are difficult to muster, though.” Rin said. “That was the best I can do.”

“I had a hard time, too. But for your age, I’m amazed.” Rara complimented. “No pressure, though, Rin. It’s a special ability with a lot of responsibilities.”

“I can make Rin’s fire disappear, Mum.” Bomi bragged, making Rin scowl. Rara laughed at her words, but deep down she sympathized with Rin. Baekhyun can do the same to her, and it was annoying not only to have a mere weakness but the ultimate Achilles heel. It wasn’t just plain subtraction with a remaining difference; it was multiplying or dividing by zero. The answer is literally reduced to nothing, the way light is taken away from fire. Rara ruffled Rin’s hair. “Don’t worry, Rin. I get that a lot from your dad. So you gotta put in a lot of effort in those special black flames. They have no light; only you can turn them off.”

“Peepaw said you were pretty good with black fire, Mum.” Rara grinned at Rin, slowly standing up and dusting off the grass from her lap. “Nah, I just know a thing or two about hellfire.”

“Will you teach me?” Rin looked up to her with determined eyes. Wow, it’s kind of creepy how his eyes are exactly like mine. Rara thought. “Even though Peepaw is already helping me hone my skills? Please?” He added.

“Sure, why not?” Rara agreed, nodding with a smile. “When you’re older, and when you’re not doing a lot of school work.”

“Can I try dissolving your flames, Mum?”

Rara looked at Bomi and raised an eyebrow with amusement. “That’s a bold request, buddy. What’s the strongest color of fire can you take away?”

“Blue.” Bomi and Rin chorused.

Wow, blue already? She’s only six years old. What kind of parenting did Baekhyun do with our children? “You must be pretty strong, then.” Rara complimented. “But let’s play it safe.” She held out her palm in front of her daughter and with a burst of orange flames, a fireball in sunset hue levitated in her hand. “Try making this disappear.” Rara challenged.

Bomi snickered playfully, reminding Rara of Baekhyun’s arrogance whenever he tried to show off. But in a second, Rara was forced to admit that Bomi was entitled to such swagger because as soon as her tiny hand collided with her hand, the fire was gone.

“...Outstanding.” She whispered, tremendously floored, as she momentarily looked at Bomi’s hand on hers. Then she noticed something on her wrist that tugged her heartstrings—her engagement ring was one of the charms on her bracelet. She turned to look at Rin, and sure enough, the silver chain that used to house her ring was hanging on her son’s neck.

“You guys never got wounds or cuts or anything like that?” Rara asked the twins randomly, and they both shook their heads. She smiled to herself. I couldn’t have asked for a better partner and father to look after both of you. “Rin, can you please fetch me that black book over there, on top of the wooden table? Thank you.” Rin looked over to where his mother was looking. He nodded at her eagerly and marched towards the wooden table.

“Bomi, please check if your Peepaw is still in the kitchen.” Bomi beamed at her before running back to the kitchen back door.

 

While waiting for the twins to come back to her, a voice whispered in her ear, “They’re just like us, huh?”

A little bit startled, Rara took a small step back, finding Baekhyun beside her. She crossed her arms and looked at him seriously. “You didn’t force our daughter to learn how to utilize light immediately, did you? Why does the kid know how to dissolve flames?” She asked. “She’s so young. She should be having fun.”

“No, I didn’t.” Baekhyun chuckled. “One time, I was with them in the kitchen and Rin spaced out, he was watching the stove. It suddenly , and blue fire erupted from the oven. I panicked, so I dissolved it with a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter