Not Just a Song

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 140 | WILDEST DREAMS by Taylor Swift

 

“Wow, I just told you that Luhan and I are bowing out of the whole situation and you break up with the guy?” Haoran shook his head with a silly smile on his face. He kept his eyes on the road as he drove. “I’d like to see you try getting out of being his mate.”

“Sure. Be my guest.” Rara replied flatly.

Haoran gave Rara a side glance and laughed anxiously. “I was joking, Rara.” Haoran waited for Rara to laugh or at least chuckle a little bit but she didn’t. She rested her cheek on her knuckles like it supported the weight of her head that seemed to carry more weight than usual. The way Rara seemed downbeat on the whole situation made him a little bit antsy. “Rara...you really can’t drop Baekhyun just like that!”

“I just did.”

“You got it in you to do that?” He asked breathlessly. “Even I can see that he was willing to take a bullet straight to the head for you and this is what you give him in return? Goddamn.” Haoran whispered in amazement. “Your heart froze over.”

Rara snorted at his remark. “So what if he was willing to die for me? That’s not what I want. I want him to live.”

“Uh, news flash. He can’t live without you.” Haoran said as if he was teaching the alphabet to Rara. “Oh, wait, here comes another one, you can’t live without him too.” He deadpanned.

“Haoran, you’re taking up a business course, right?” Haoran nodded in approval, a bit fazed by the random question. “Well, the terms evolution and adaptation might be foreign to you. Organisms adapt to survive. Organisms evolve to adjust to their conditions. No matter how supernatural this world has become, science still has the upper hand, through and through.” Rara said. “Baekhyun and I will just have to adapt to these circumstances.”

“Yeah, but, it’s like, purposely throwing a fish out of the water when you could just, you know,” Haoran shrugged innocently. “Put it back in the water.” Thinking that Rara probably had something to counter that statement, Haoran jumped in immediately and said, “Just take Baekhyun back.”

“Just say out of this, Haoran. I don’t care what kind of understanding you share with Baekhyun, but I’m sure as hell it’s not in the same line as my thinking so just drop it.”

“Okay.” Haoran sighed. “Kinda dumb, now that I think about it. Trying to convince you. I mean, you didn’t listen to Baekhyun so it’s stupid to think that you would listen to me.”

 

“I thought he made up with Rara.”

“I thought he did more than just make up with Rara last night.” Kai asked curiously. “Why do I get a feeling that an even worse version came out than the one who got dumped with just a letter?”

The pack was at the beach, except for Chanyeol, who stayed at their home at the request of his parents. The other four remained away from the shore, but Baekhyun was sitting close to the waves, still in his formal attire.

“It came out of Rara’s mouth this time.” D.O said. “She broke up with him.”

“What? That’s not possible. He’s her partner, she’s his mate. How the hell do you break up a connection like that?” Sehun stressed.

“For one, maybe you just have to be hard-headed like Rara.” Suho said. “And have a partner with a soft heart like Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun stared at the ocean, feeling the sea breeze hit his face. The beach always had brought a calming sensation but today, there was just too much going on inside his head. He touched the bruise on his left cheek—Chanyeol’s morning greeting. Rara’s older brother didn’t beat him up alright, considering their parents were home but he did send one punch to his face for what happened last night. Chanyeol didn’t say a word, nor did Baekhyun, maybe because Chanyeol knew about Rara breaking up with him, and that he only needed one fistful to the face because they both knew his heart took more than just a punch, more than a beating.

And it was probably going to stay that way for a while.

 

At Haoran’s house, Rara was no better. She was moping around in the living room, staring at an empty space.

“That’s funny.” Chongwu, Haoran’s dragon, who took the size of a normal dog, wagged its tail happily as Haoran filled its bowl with minced meat. Xiezhi, the peculiar lie detector who was in a form of an animal, nicknamed Zhenxiang, waited diligently for Haoran to fill up his respective bowl. “Last time, I remembered, you were the one who broke up with your man. Why do you look so troubled?”

“What? Am I not allowed to be hurt?”

“I didn’t say that but you ought to toughen up.” Haoran stated. He stood up after putting food for his pets. “After all, it was your decision.”

Rara sighed; he was right. She shouldn’t have flashed him sad expressions—it goes to show that she wasn’t sure of what she had chosen when in fact, she had made up her mind since the sun came into view earlier this morning. Haoran looked at her and then headed for the stairs. “I’ll be upstairs; reading. Just in case you need me.” He said as he disappeared into the second floor.

Another sigh escaped from Rara’s mouth. Suddenly, her eyes landed on Haoran’s grand piano. She stood up and walked towards it. After a minute of careful inspection, she realized that the dust that had been resting on it was gone; Maybe Haoran or some of the guys used this one in her absence. Her eyes trailed to a music book that wasn’t sitting on the book stand on top of the piano the last time she laid her eyes on the piano.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter