Pilot

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 01 | Track 02 | Track 03

 

“I think I’ll start preparing the documents needed for med school applications any time this week,” Shinae took a marshmallow from the Ziploc on her lap and inserted it into a stick. “I have to apply right away or I’ll find myself slacking off at home.”

A reflection of the dancing fire was displayed in Kyung Mi’s thick spectacles, resembling a projector playing a movie inside a theatre. “As for me, I feel like I want to try and get a job.” She twirled and twisted her stick over the fire, slowly roasting her marshmallows. “The Biology experience really has done me in—I don’t think I’ll thrive in med school.”

“Come on, if you made it through that of a hell hole, I think you’ll at least have the strength and will to want to go into med school.” Rara said as she snapped Hershey’s milk chocolate bars. “Biology made me want to help people even more—I mean, med school was part of the plan but I didn’t really think Biology would give me a boost or anything. It was just a stepping stone.”

Shinae snatched two pieces of the chocolate from Rara and inserted it into her stick, the marshmallow in between, all of it sandwiched between two Graham crackers. “So, you’ll come with me when I’ll pay our school a visit and process all the requirements needed for med school?”

“Nope,” Rara started creating her own s’mores. “I asked Lo for a year to just...rest.”

“It's not a surprise that your Uncle Lo agreed; you have a pretty chill uncle.” Kyung Mi remarked. “And what will you be doing in a year?” Kyung Mi asked, taking a bite from her s’mores. “Go on vacation?”

Rara shrugged. “I don’t know, really. Maybe figure things out.” She gave them a triumphant smile. “I really commend you guys for choosing to do something right after graduation, you know? Didn’t 4 years of endless research and lab sessions tire you? Because it exhausted the hell out of me. When I received the diploma, hell, I can literally feel my rib cage slowly unclasping from my heart because I knew, in those excruciating 4 years, my rib cage had locked my heart in so tight because of the never-ending stress; not to mention having to deal with not only toxic chemicals but toxic people as well.”

Both Kyung Mi and Shinae smiled silently to themselves; they knew how monstrous of a roller coaster ride was their course—especially to Rara. Beneath the rough and upbeat exterior, their friend had an undeniably pure and good heart that unfortunately had been taken advantage of. Because of that, she had become even harder to penetrate and a little bit closed off but they were glad that despite the little changes, they were still able to see a bit of her old self.

“Since you’re doing nothing...why not take a dare?” Kyung Mi suggested.

Rara raised her eyebrow as she cautiously took a sip from a can of Sprite. “Yeah? What do you have in mind?”

“Why not...look for a job like I would?” Kyung Mi said in a condoning tone.

“An odd job, if I may add.” Shinae said cheekily.

“Hey, if you’re daring me to become a stripper, I want you to know even a daredevil like me has limits.” Rara reprimanded. “I value my dignity, honey.”

“Dude, we also want you to know, we’re not that kind of friends. We’re not letting you in some that ain’t right.” Kyung Mi said with a hint of faux hurt. “Of course we’d let you do something you can handle.”

“And what can’t she handle, exactly?” Shinae added with a skeptical tone. “We’ve known her long enough to know this asshat would do just about anything in the name of victory.”

“You’ve known me four yea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter