The Devil rolled the dice twice in a row

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 159 | MISS AMERICANA & THE HEARTBREAK PRINCE by Taylor Swift

 

“Mei? Are you hurt anywhere?” Mei shook her head. Hyerin turned to Chanyeol’s seatmate. “And you?”

“I’m fine.” Byul replied silently, still surprised by what Mei said. Jaehyun ahjussi. He’s alive.

“Okay, but what the ?” Hyerin chuckled nervously. “You’re talking about that infamous vampire who can wield all four colors of fire, right?” Mei nodded. “What the hell...the entire non-human world thought he died.”

“Where’s Gramps, Mei?” Chanyeol asked, almost whispering.

“He’s being held captive at the council.”

Chanyeol’s hands flew to his cheeks, like they were suddenly dripping. “...All this time?”

“Yes.” Mei had a solemn expression, but it didn’t hide the slight disturbance in her face. “I’ll tell you everything.”

 

Evening of December 1st, 1913.

 

All the council members, except for Haejung, were absent on the first day of December. Haoran, Luhan, and Tao were back in Korea, attending school, while Bora and Hyorin went to patrol the rest of the castle.

Earlier this morning, Mei had appealed to the council about being Haoran’s partner. However, she was rejected. When she stormed out of the hall, then outside the castle, she walked the unfamiliar streets of Italy just to cool down. She ignored Haoran’s attempts to contact her and told him to go on ahead back to Korea while she settled some things alone. Particular with the importance of personal space, Haoran willingly left her alone and headed to the airport.

By late afternoon, one of the castle guards found her and was invited back into the castle as ordered by Haejung. Curious, Mei accepted. She went back and now here she was, face to face with the head of the vampire council. Alone.

The head of the council asked Mei a cliche yet compelling question that always promised a powerful answer...when you were in love with a person.

“How far will you go for Haoran, my darling, beautiful Mei?”

“Name the distance and I will get there, arms at the back, barefoot and blindfolded.” Amazement and amusement washed over Haejung’s face as Mei gave her a steadfast answer. People who are deeply in love can garner a large and satisfied audience with the amount of stupidity they can do onstage for their Romeo or Juliet.

“Adorable.” Haejung remarked. “First, let me tell you that your combat skills are just secondhand from Zitao.” There was a confused look on Mei’s face upon hearing such words. “I can transfer abilities of one person to another with just one touch. You are the first to know about it.” She slowly tilted her chin and looked at Mei like she was something not even worth looking at, something disposable. Seeing Haejung’s expression made her falter; it didn’t matter to her when or where Haejung transferred Tao’s one-of-a-kind skills in martial arts to her disposal. Just when she thought she had acquired something extraordinary out of pure practice and strong will...turns out she was spoonfed all along. “I only told you so you’ll know you’re nothing special and that you don’t deserve to be the partner of someone as exemplary as Haoran.” Helen had the face that launched a thousand ships and yet here was Haejung, whose words launched a thousand spears straight through Mei’s heart. She didn’t deserve Haoran’s affection but she’d also like to believe that he loves her even if she’s just a human turned into a vampire; a plain, ordinary bloodsucker. “However, you openly said you would do anything for him.” Haejung continued. “I have a little task for you.”

 

 

Jaehyun’s ears perked up upon hearing Haejung say something about Rara’s precious twins. He had been gone and locked away for too long; it didn’t matter to him how, but the idea that Rara, whom he still saw as his little great-granddaughter, already had not one but two children, astounded him. Not only was it supposed to be impossible but she probably also beat her older brother Chanyeol to it. The old man managed to smile a little bit. “Choose your children, Rara.” He answered. “It’s the only correct answer.”

Chansung looked at his grandfather with sadness. His mother would have got down on her knees at the sight of Jaehyun. With no doubt, Ahyoung would have begged Haejung to release her father.

“Gramps...” Rara whispered under her breath. Her eyes were already pooling with water. “For 98 years, almost a century, I thought you were gone.“

“Yes. It’s a long, long, long. Long. Long time, to think that I was dead. And you went through it.” Jaehyun looked at her seriously. “And you will go through it again and again.” Rara bit the inside of her cheek to prevent her from crying. “But I can’t allow you to go through the ache of losing your children, not when you haven't even seen them grow.” He said. “I’m old. You can let me go.”

“I can’t lose you, and I can’t lose the twins maybe I can—”

Chansung gently squeezed his daughter’s shoulder. “Remember what I told you and Baekhyun the first time you brought him home? I said—”

Rara felt someone’s fingers intertwine with her own. She turned to Baekhyun and he quietly said, “No matter how hard it gets, do not think of yourselves as a sacrifice.” Rara gave him a nod, holding his hand tighter.

“Chanyeol’s mom is already enough of a casualty.”

“Chanyeol’s mom?” Haejung asked, seemingly abashed by the mention of such person. “Yeeun?” She giggled like a mean school girl who just finis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter