Watch us go round and round each time

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 137 | STYLE by Taylor Swift

 

Suho’s eyes draped over the front mirror. He observed Baekhyun from the front seat, who was lost in his thoughts while looking out at the window.

“Hey, Baek,” Suho called out. “You sure you don’t wanna sit this one out? We can turn around.”

“I’m good.” He replied nonchalantly. “I’m not one to pass up free food.”

“You mean a chance to see Rara.” Sehun remarked with a snicker.

“Rara all dolled-up wearing a dress.” Kai added. They both laughed and high-fived each other like they won the lottery.

D.O turned around and glared at their youngest members. “Will the both of you shut up? I swear to God, I’m one flick away from making branches grow out of your mouths. Jesus.” He scolded.

Baekhyun was surprisingly keeping his cool amidst Kai and Sehun’s jokes. He seemed wrapped up in his own world.

Chanyeol was the designated driver. “Haoran isn’t coming to the ball. Rara said he had other plans.” He said out of the blue. “And if it helps, Rara did mention that Haoran never did forbid her to see you. So...”

“So Rara’s avoiding me on her own accord. I get it.” Baekhyun replied tiredly.

“So that’s it? Even without the vampire council’s resident raccoon, you’re just going to watch Rara at the ball?” D.O stole a glance at Baekhyun who kept his eyes glued to the scenery outside the car. “You’re not gonna approach her?”

“No.” Baekhyun answered. “Can’t risk her not talking to me for the rest of my life.”

“Whoa, are you really Baekhyun hyung?” Kai asked with bewilderment. “The one we know usually does the exact opposite of what Rara says!”

“Guess this one’s different.” Baekhyun said flatly.

“Maybe if we get a little bit of alcohol in his system, we’ll get to see the Baekhyun hyung we know.” Sehun suggested jokingly.

“Yeah, I remember old man Chansung serving really good beverages—”

“Keep it down.” Suho reprimanded. “Both of you at the back.” Kai and Sehun shrunk at the very back of the car, and kept their mouths shut. “I’m only going to say it once.” The alpha wolf added. “I don’t want to hear another word until we arrive at Elle’s.”

 

When the wolf pack arrived, there was an ample amount of people present, swarming the entire hall. A lot of people also started coming in. The entire space was festive as it was the week before Christmas. The six boys found a table that was reserved especially for them and then settled. They were served appetizers and glasses of water for the meantime before the program started. Everyone was dressed elegantly for the event—all of these dresses and suits and outfits were well-thought even though the theme was as simple as monochrome.

Chanyeol left the table to unite with his family, Suho and D.O engaged in a conversation just as Kai and Sehun did; so Baekhyun kept to himself, allowing the noise of the crowd to eat him up. But no matter how hard he tried, Rara’s presence in the same vicinity couldn’t help but be noticed. Baekhyun couldn’t just keep still and refrain from looking at Rara. She was at the other end of the room, standing beside her father and Chanyeol. They were probably talking to another one of Chansung’s business partners; their father must have been introducing his children—the heirs. Rara’s back was facing Baekhyun but he could see a little bit of her facial features. He smiled a little at Rara’s awkward expression; she wasn’t really good with social interactions. His appreciation for her cute demeanor didn’t last long as Rara carefully removed her coat, revealing her dress that was low-cut at the back.

Her scapulas looked like wings had been attached to them, and a thin cloth with a hand-sewn lace pattern of what seems like was made to look like a vertebra lined her spine. He has known Rara for a long time; long enough to know that her back was one of the things he wanted to see first thing in the morning. While he was aware of this beauty, he didn’t really think that Rara was bold enough to show it. Baekhyun’s jaw muscles and bones seemed to have frozen at the sight of something he missed so much. He kept on watching, as Rara folded her coat and hung it in her arms, while she continued to listen to her father’s conversation with the man in front of them.

He prayed for the strength to look away, and suddenly, a waiter appeared in front of him, carrying a tray of wine glasses filled with a sparkling golden liquid.

“Would you gentlemen like to have some champagne?” The waiter offered politely.

“Sure.” Suho said. The waiter carefully placed five glasses on the table and said, “There’s more at the bar if you want to enjoy more drinks. The bartender would be more than happy to serve you with wonderful beverages.”

“Thank you for the drinks, and for the tip.” Suho said gratefully, as the waiter bowed and left.

 

D.O brought the glass close to his mouth and took a sip. His eyes widened with delight as he said, “Wow, this is really good.” He was about to say something more when out of the corner of his eye, he saw Baekhyun drinking the champagne hastily. The other three traced D.O’s eyes and also watched Baekhyun as he finished his drink in one sitting.

He carefully placed the glass in front of him and said, “That was actually really good.”

D.O looked at him with a worried smile. “Slow down, Baekhyun. It’s just 6 in the evening.” He said. “I mean—” From D.O’s peripheral view, he saw Rara’s back facing them while she was talking to Chanyeol. Chanyeol caught D.O’s eye and smiled. Rara turned around to see who it was, then she smiled and gave a little wave to the rest of the group, except Baekhyun, whose back was facing her. Rara turned around and continued talking to Chanyeol. D.O was never much of a talker, and he’s only appreciated a handful of women, but Rara was really appealing tonight. He never knew she had the guts to show that much, and she wasn’t shrinking to the size of her timid nature. She carried herself like she wore an invisible crown.

“I mean,” Kai looked at D.O. “She looks like she's worth taking down this fine champagne in one shot.”

“Rara does look really beautiful tonight.” Sehun complimented.

Noticing that the rest of the group is just adding salt to Baekhyun’s wounds, the alpha wolf spoke. “Just,” Suho wondered for a while. “just ignore it, Baekhyun.”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun replied exasperatedly, pressing his mouth into a thin smile. “Seems doable, if only her presence didn’t clamor for attention.” He said. “She’s not even trying, hyung.” Suho heard the unease and turmoil in Baekhyun’s voice. He sighed deeply. “Well, enjoying the rest of the night shouldn’t be as hard, now should it?”

 

And when Suho said that, it seemed like Kai, Sehun, and even the serious D.O took it seriously. By 9 pm, all of them were missing from their seats and were seated at the bar. Suho held himself responsible for what he said, watching his three brothers take down one shot after another. Baekhyun excluded himself and volunteered to just play

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter