Alive

...What the hell is happening?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 158 | RIVER by Bishop Briggs

 

Hyerin sighed deeply at Rara’s last message. They were exchanging texts about how to outsmart Citius aut Serius and while the witch studied the aforementioned curse, she realized that only the body was cursed. The soul wasn’t. The existence of Kwon Bora of the supreme vampire council Aima Lamia was not new to her; there was someone out there who could manipulate souls. Once she mentioned to Rara about souls, the younger Kwon came to light. So the plan was to have Mei switch souls with another vampire so that she’d be able to tell what she was cursed to say. Unbeknownst to Mei’s hidden curse, Haoran was in Italy, also updated about Rara’s upcoming visit. 

She also coordinated with Mei to have them assemble at the Park household. Her mom and grandmother were to take care of Bomi and Rin. And the only people who’ll come with her to Italy were her dad and Baekhyun. At first, she was hesitant to bring Baekhyun with her—it was like dragging the prince you vowed to protect straight into the battlefield but of course, getting hurt was always a choice and Baekhyun always did choose to get hurt for her. Chansung came along for two things: one, because Jaehyun’s shocking revelation of Haejung’s true powers was news to him, and he wanted to know more about such topic, plus he felt like the puzzle pieces that make up the death of his grandfather are all found, but are still scattered. In order to put them together, he had to go to Aima Lamia himself. The second reason he came was that he knew that Baekhyun and Rara needed someone to keep the balance between them. Normally, they’d balance each other but there were times when emotions override their minds and someone has to snap them out of it—that should be him.

 

On Monday evening, Rara immediately booked a flight. On the same night, she talked to Hyerin about getting around the curse. At dawn, they leave for Italy. There was no holding back. They need to settle this battle once and for all.

It was about 2 in the morning and their flight was at 4:45 am. Rara stood by the crib of the twins. No breathing creature should ever have to receive a lily. That’s for the dead. She thought angrily. The audacity of that old hag...

Bomi stared into her mom’s eyes whose red color mirrored hers. Rin was asleep.

When I come back, you guys won’t have to go through the hardships your dad and I went through. She thought. I promise. Unconsciously, she held the ring Baekhyun used to propose to her. She clutched it tightly before deciding to remove it from her neck. She separated the ring from the silver chain and she put the ring under Bomi’s pillow, and the silver chain on Rin’s.

“Are you selling my proposal ring to the tooth fairy? Or is there a jewelry fairy?” Baekhyun asked in a low voice.

She turned to him and smiled. “No, you dunce. Just making sure I have more reason to come back. In case I’ll be held back in Italy.”

Baekhyun looked at her skeptically, his hands in his pockets. “Okay.” He said nonchalantly. “Shall we go to the airport? Your dad’s waiting downstairs.”

Rara nodded slightly and walked out first. Baekhyun didn’t linger too long and only said a short goodbye to the twins. He was positive that they’d come back. He gave the crib one last look then he followed Rara out of her room.

 

Her mom and grandmother bid them farewell and good luck. They promised to keep an eye on the twins and will accommodate Chanyeol, Byul, Mei, and Hyerin when they come over. Once words were said, they were ready to go.

 

Their preparedness remained still, however, their fear didn’t. Rara had the courage, but once the cab in Italy pulled up in front of the castle’s enormous gates, she couldn’t shake the anxiety off her body. Clutching the Scorpio ring became a habit especially when she became indecisive or nervous. Once the three of them got out of the taxi and looked ahead of the long brick road that leads to the castle, she momentarily reached for the ring in her chest but then she realized it was missing. Out of the blue, Baekhyun grabbed her wrist and in her open palm, he gave back the ring along with its silver chain.

Rara’s mouth hung open at the sight of the things she supposedly left behind in Korea. Before she could utter something, Baekhyun said, “Not to brag, since these are from me, but I think you’ll feel safer and complete with this.” He said with a sincere smile. And he was right, so Rara beamed at him gratefully in return.

“You really took this from the twins, huh?” Rara asked jokingly.

“Yeah, I was afraid that the jewelry fairy offered a good price for those the ring and chain.” Baekhyun replied with a coy grin. “No, really, I felt like it was wrong for you to leave it. I notice you holding it when you’re nervous or choosing something.”

“You have very keen eyes.”

“To be fair to every single hawk out there, I only have keen eyes for you.”

Rara rolled her eyes at him, laughing heartily, as the three of them continued to walk towards the castle with her father further in front of them.

 

And just like that, they weren’t alone again.

 

The Cruor hall was basked in tension and silence once the three visitors entered. All six of them were seated in their respective thrones; from left to right—Hyorin, Bora, Haejung, Haoran, Luhan, and Tao. Rara’s eyes trailed on the stage and her eyes met Haoran’s. He gave her a small nod to which she replied with a very faint smile.

 

Haejung let out a low chuckle, like she was being asked to repeat a simple statement over and over again by a stupid person. “Welcome back, my darlings.” She greeted with the same amused yet sinister smile. “Why, I thought I’d be seeing two more people.” Her expression transitioned from pleasant to pondering. “Twins, specifically.”

“We’re not dumb enough to put our loved ones in danger, Haejung.” Rara replied in an even tone.

“Yes, I see that.” Haejung said unpleasantly. “However, the pair of you have been foolish enough to put yourselves on probation.”

“With all due respect, I don’t see anything wrong with having children of our own.” Baekhyun retaliated.

Haejung huffed at Baekhyun’s remark, as she stepped down from the stage and sped across the room to approach them. “Because you don’t look, dear werewolf.” She spat. “A vampire girl, and a wolf boy. Sounds as if they had been replicated by cutting your heritage in equal parts but they could very well be...” The word Haejung was about to say made her feel nauseous; she looked at the three of them with disgust. “...Yvris.”

An Yvri was a creature who is a hybrid; a product of two different creatures. Most creatures frown upon Yvris and think of them as mutants or leftovers put together. Chansung’s jaw clenched at Haejung, feeling aggravated by the second. This irritation must have been very obvious and was strong enough to leak in the atmosphere because Haejung looked at Chansung and grinned, enjoying the sight of him utterly frustrated. “Such unnecessary creatures, like scraps combined together when you could have just gotten something whole and pure. What an eyesore it is to look at an Yvri.” Haejung said sharply. She looked at her right, staring into empty space then her eyes shifted to the head of the Park household. “As if Chanyeol’s not enough, now you got two more useless, filthy residues in your family tree.”

This was what Chansung prepared for and he didn’t allow himself to lose his cool. “These so-called filthy residues each have spotless hearts, as opposed to you, who is rotten down to the deepest core.”

“How dare you—”

“No, how dare you, Haejung!” Rara retorted. “Chanyeol is only half a vampire but you will never be a quarter of the vampire that he is.” Haejung’s eyes turned blood red at her words. “And I promise you that I—Baekhyun and I—will not pass up the chance to have you as a g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter