005

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

Taeri walked down the steps of the building, she slung her backpack over one shoulder and she started to look around.

She puffed her cheeks as she crossed the lot and found Lucas leaning against his car while two girls were standing before him, chatting.

Taeri grew amused before walking towards them.

“Ah, so you’re majoring in business too? We’re in the same department then.” One girl said happily, Taeri shuddered in disgust.

“Hey, Wong.” She spoke, Lucas looked up just as she tossed her backpack to him.

The two ladies looked at Taeri in annoyance, but the latter walked to the other side of the Bugatti without a care and got inside the vehicle.

“I’m sorry, sunbaes. That’s my call. I have to go.” Lucas said with a smile before getting inside his car, he started the engine and glanced at Taeri.

“How was your first day?” He asked her as he maneuvered away from the parking lot.

“Wouldn’t it be better if we pretended that we don’t know each other at school?”

“Hmm, ashamed of your mafia roots?” Lucas chuckled, and Taeri actually snorted, a small smile appeared on her face.

“Just drive us to the dealership.” She said before closing her eyes and leaning back on her seat, Lucas grinned to himself before stepping on the gas.

 

 

Mark took a step back as the older males moved forward, there were six men before them, all handcuffed and bruised.

This side of the family business always made him feel queasy, while his brother seemed to be already used to it. Mark paused when felt a hand on his shoulder, he glanced to his left.

“You have to remember, these men, have not just women, but children too. Society will be better of without them.” Yuta spoke, the younger male could only nod, he looked at Taeyong again, he was flanked by Johnny and Doyoung as they looked at the “released” inmates again. Johnny raised one hand before they pulled away, then their men started closing in on the six males.

“Did you check on it?” Jaehyun approached them, Mark nodded.

“I made a few calls, there has been some occurrences.”

They stepped out of the dark warehouse, Taeyong looked at his sibling.

“What do you mean?” Johnny’s brows rose, Doyoung tugged on his coat lightly.

“Illegal substances..its back and it’s spreading in our territories, hyung.”

“Not again.” Yuta muttered under his breath.

“The media?” Taeyong asked.

“They haven’t heard anything yet.”

“Jaehyun, you know what to do. Make sure this never gets out.” Taeyong stated, Jaehyun nodded before heading back to his waiting car.

“Who do you think it is?” Doyoung asked.

“That we have to find out, they’re pretty bold to be doing this in our territory.”

 

 

Lucas sat down on one of the leather seats as Taeri spoke with the dealership’s manager, the girl was very particular with what she wanted.

As he leaned back, he felt his phone vibrate, he took it out and read the message from Mark. His forehead creased and he shook his head.

“The mafia calls?”

He looked up, Taeri plopped down across him.

“You done?”

“Almost, I still have a few documents to sign. You can go if you need to.” She said flatly before taking out her phone from her bag.

“It’s not that urgent.”

“Must you stick like gum? Really?” She groaned, Lucas smiled before standing up.

“I have a few calls to make, stay put and please don’t pick fights with others.” He winked at her before walking towards the glass doors, Taeri narrowed her eyes at his retreating figure before deciding to look around the store again.

 

 

“Drugs?” Lucas repeated.

“Nothing’s really final now. But that’s what was reported.” Jungwoo replied, Lucas shook his head.

“I thought we had that all fixed, why is this happening again?”

“I’m sure the hyungs can fix it quickly, though we might to be on patrol again. You know what happened last year.”

Lucas groaned, he glanced behind him, he saw Taeri walking around, checking out the other cars.

“How’s Taeri? She hasn’t killed you yet?”

“She’s still..feisty, but tolerable.”

Jungwoo chuckled.

“You’re the only one who would describe her tolerable.”

“Well, she’s not exactly a picnic, she’s actually~” Lucas paused, he noticed how two males had approached her. Lucas could see the tattoo on the side of their necks, his brows rose.

“Is Taeri known?” He asked Jungwoo as he started to walk forward.

“Known?” Jungwoo asked.

“Do our enemies know her?”

“Well, she…she used to join us before, back when~”

Lucas ended the call and rushed back to the building.

 

 

“Well?” Taeyong asked as the car moved forward, Johnny bit his lip before speaking. Taeyong shifted gears before stepping on the pedal.

“He got back a few days before Taeri did.”

Taeyong shook his head in annoyance.

“I don’t think they’re still in contact, maybe it’s just a coincidence.”

The Maserati’s engine purred loudly as Taeyong’s speed rose, Johnny sighed.

“You can always ask her about it, I’m sure~”

“She wont even look at me.” Taeyong replied. Before Johnny could speak, Taeyong’s phone started to ring.

“Young master,”

It was the Lee household’s head of security, Johnny paused. He had a feeling something was up, the man rarely called Taeyong without reason.

“What is it?”

“It’s about the young miss.”

 

 

 

 

Taeri tilted her head as she looked at the males.

“You look familiar, agasshi.” One grinned at her and boldly eyed her chest. Taeri puffed her cheeks again.

“What is it now? Do you think I’d go out with any of you?” She replied, the guys looked at each other and laughed.

“That arrogance, it must be a genetic trait.” He stated, Taeri paused.

“Do you know me?”

“Your brothers have been so secretive ever since you disappeared, but now you’re back. They even let you roam around alone. Our boss would be so happy to find out,”

“I don’t~”

One of them grabbed her by the arm, Taeri winced as she tried to pull away.

“How about you join us for a bit, agasshi? We wont hurt you.” The other one spoke as he closed the space between them.

Before Taeri could react, the male whispering to her ear was yanked away from her.

“Let go of that hand.”

Taeri stared at Lucas, he was holding onto to the other male, he had his arm twisted behind him in a painful manner.

“Wong Yukhei.” The other male smirked, Lucas didn’t return his greeting, he just stared back at him with cold empty eyes.

People were starting to stare at them, but the male didn’t budge, his grip on Taeri only tightened.

“You’re not alone after all, agasshi.” He spoke, Taeri met Lucas’s gaze, then for a moment, her lips quirked up.

Where?” She said in Mandarin, Lucas’s brows rose briefly, but somehow he knew what she was talking about.

Coat pocket.” Lucas replied quietly.

And then Taeri stomped her foot on the male’s, the yelped in pain as he let go of her, Lucas kept his grip on the other one as he tried to move.

Taeri quickly walked to him, her hand hovered over his jacket, she took out the small army knife he usually carried around.

She turned to the male on the floor and pointed it at his face, the male tensed. Taeri’s smile appeared again.

“Tell your boss not to mess with me. I may be a child of the mafia, but I don’t ever want to be involved with this again. If you want to target someone,” She said as she pressed the blade on his forearms.

“Choose someone else, because I literally just got back home and am still acclimatizing to the weather here and I hate being touched by ugly looking creatures like you~”

“Okay, time to go.” Lucas twisted the male’s wrist before walking to her, he gently pulled her up.

“I swear; you can be so petty sometimes.” Lucas muttered as he tugged the girl forward, he removed the knife from her palm and ignored the males who were yelling at the from behind.

“This is exactly why~”

“Let’s just get you home before Taeyong hyung kills us both.” He said dryly before opening the door for her.

“Did you just shush me?” She glared at him.

Lucas glanced behind them, one of her harassers was already on the phone, his jaw clenched and unclenched.

“Just get in the car, yours will be delivered in a few days, your highness.”

“So, I’ve become a target now?” She asked as she slid inside the Veyron, Lucas paused, the girl looked bothered.

“They can’t hurt you, you know that.” He said before leaning down to strap her seatbelt, Taeri didn’t seem to mind his proximity.

“Of course, I do. Duh.” She rolled her eyes at him, Lucas threw her a look.

“This is exactly why I don’t like being back. Life here is too complicated.” She muttered darkly, Lucas reached for her arm, he noticed that she was starting bruise.

“It doesn’t hurt; we don’t need to go to the hospital.” She said before pulling her hand away, Lucas bit his lip before closing the door. He took out his phone and started to dial.

“I need you to find out who was just here. Two men. Snake tattoos.” He quipped before ending the call. Lucas exhaled, then he saw a black SUV careening away from the parking lot.

 

“This doesn’t feel right.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++