046

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

“How about we kill you first? Wouldn’t that be more fun?”

Taeri shifted her gaze, Jo Jinhyuk chuckled and loosened his grip around her neck.

“Kids,” He spat.

“Do you think you can scare me?” He cackled as the mafia’s men started to close in on them. Jo Jinhyuk let go of her and she dropped to the ground.

Taeri coughed as she tried to massage her neck, and then she looked up.

Johnny and Kun were laughing as they held one man together and strapped him on a wooden chair, Taeri noticed what was on Kun’s hand. A lighter.

“Op~”

“Hey, are you okay?” She felt someone untying the bound around her ankles, she leaned forward and found her brother taking out a small knife and cut off the tie.

“Oppa, what’s going on? How did you~” She halted when a loud crash echoed off the walls, Taeyong sighed and lifted her up. Someone had crashed a truck against one of the building’s walls and it also hit several of Jo Jinhyuk’s men. She saw Doyoung blowing her a kiss from the driver’s seat.

“Lee Taeyong.”

Taeyong halted when he found Jo Jinhyuk standing across them, with a gun pointed at him and his sister.

 

 

Taeri flinched as her brother’s grip on her tightened, she looked around and saw a bit of Mark as he threw a man against the wall.

Jaehyun was fiddling with pocket knife as he and Jungwoo rounded up other injured men, it was then Taeri realized that their men, her father’s private army, were also present.

“You seriously think that’s a good idea right now? A gun pointed at our Taeri?” Johnny said in a bored tone, Kun strolled into the room with a smirk on his face.

“I was warned you’d all be here.” Jo Jinhyuk said, not putting the gun down. He just cocked it, Taeri felt her brother stiffen.

“Put me down, oppa.” She said, Taeyong stilled, but he exhaled and slowly put her down. The guys’ tensed as they saw how Taeri struggled to stand properly. Taeri was about to speak when she noticed a small movement on the ceiling, her brows rose.

“I wouldn’t even hesitate.” Jo Jinhyuk mused at them, his eyes went to his men who were all rounded up by the doors, one of them was in flames.

“Just give it up, old man.” Doyoung stated as their men pressed in, Jo Jinhyuk hissed and started to aim for Taeri again.

“He is so dead.” Jungwoo stated as he heard one of Lucas’s men whisper in Mandarin.

“You want to kill me?” Taeri spoke, her voice strained.

“Killing me will start a war you are not prepared for.”

“Are you speaking for yourself or for the Wongs?” Jo Jinhyuk laughed at her, he took another step closer to her.

Taeyong tried reaching for her.

“You ruined my dress. I’ll make you pay for that.” Taeri’s tone changed, Johnny’s eyes went up and he grinned.

“Does it look like I~” Jinhyuk was about to grab her when the gun was kicked out of his hand, and he started to scream as he realized that his hand was just cut off.

 

 

Taeri was pushed backwards as Jo Jinhyuk started screaming in horror, Kun was murmuring something as he placed his coat over her shoulder.

“Oppa, Lucas~” She turned and saw Luas facing Jo Jinhyuk with a smile on his face.

“Welcome to the party.” She heard him say in a playful tone, totally unnerved of the amount of blood spilling from the man’s wrist.

“Do you really want to see this, Tee?” Taeyong spoke, she turned to him. Mark and Jaehyun were approaching a hunched Jo Jinhyuk.

“You were touching her with those fingers, I wanted to get rid of it. Now,” Lucas started to discuss with the man.

“How about your other one? How do you want it removed?”

Taeri pulled away from Kun and started to walk towards the tall male, she could sense it. Lucas was all riled up, angry and enraged.

“Lucas,” She choked as she saw the pool of blood on the floor, Jo Jinhyuk was already so pale.

Lucas turned to her, his eyes immediately softened.

“A car is waiting outside to send you to the hospi~” He stood up and gently steered her away from the gruesome sight behind him.

“I want you to take me.” She said, Jaehyun glanced at the older males. Lucas paused, his brows met briefly. Yuta wheeled himself in while whistling, two men followed behind him, pushing an oddly familiar item.

“You’ve done enough, Lucas. Let them take care of this.” She stated, Lucas his lips, he touched her hair and exhaled.

“Go with me to the hospital, please.” She spoke softly as she reached for his cheek and cupped it. Lucas sighed and pressed his lips against her palm.

“Okay. Fine. I’ll drive you.” Lucas nodded, Taeri smiled at him. He turned to his men and spoke in Mandarin for a brief moment, they all nodded and left the room.

“We’ll take care of this, Wong.” Johnny said as he walked to them. Mark walked to his sibling and gently took Taeri’s hand in his.

“I’m glad you’re okay, noona.”

“I’m glad I wore those shoes.” She replied, Mark chuckled before helping the men pull the cement mixer.

“What is a cement mixer doing here?” Taeri asked just as Doyoung and Taeyong started to lift Jo Jinhyuk off the ground, the man started to scream.

Lucas smiled before lifting her up in his arms.

“Lucas,” She looked at him questioningly.

“I don’t know. Ask them.” He kissed her cheek as they stepped out of the building.

 

 

Taeri winced as the doctor cleaned the cuts on her legs and thighs, the lacerations on her ankles were aleady treated.

All the while, Lucas stood by the door, arms crossed and brows knitted together.

“We will just wait for your X-ray results and we can release you by then, young miss.” The doctor spoke as the nurse started to clean up.

“Yes, thank you, doctor.”

“You’re only job now is to rest up and drink fluids.” The man smiled and patted her head before leaving the room.

Taeri exhaled and looked at him again, she slid down from the bed and limped towards him. Lucas snapped out of his daze and crossed the room to support her weight.

“What are you doing?” He sighed as he realized that she was on his way to him.

“Well, it didn’t look like you had plans to talk to me, so I decided to go to you first.” She pointed out as Lucas helped her to the bed again.

“Sorry. I was just thinking.” Lucas said as she placed the blanket over her lap, Taeri tilted her head at him.

“I—I…I’m sorry, gongzhu. He’s an enemy of my family and..you got dragged into this mess because~”

“Lucas, no. It’s not your fault.” She intervened, Lucas sighed and took her hand in his, his forehad creased as he noticed the small cuts on her palm.

“Jo Jinhyuk became everyone’s family the moment he put a price on my head, Lucas. We weren’t even a thing back then.”

Lucas bit his lip and looked at her.

“I know you think it’s because of you that…I got into this, this whole kidnapping thing, but you have to remember, I am part of the mafia too. I’ll always be a target.” She explained to him, Lucas met her gaze and gently cupped her cheek.

“I let this happen to you, Taeri. Look at…Look how hurt you are.” Lucas murmured softly as he pressed his forehead against hers.

“But you arrived. Isn’t that what matters?” She asked softly, Lucas exhaled and pulled back to meet her gaze.

“I’m really okay, Lucas. So, stop beating yourself up over this.” She said to him, Lucas exhaled before wrapping his arms around her, Taeri smiled and kissed his cheek before burying her face on the crook of his shoulder.

“Wait, so, you think of us as just a thing? A thing?” Lucas suddenly spoke, Taeri blinked and slowly pulled away from him.

“What?”

Lucas made a face at her, Taeri grew amused at his reaction.

“Really, Tee? We’re now just a thing?” He muttered, Taeri started to laugh at him.

“I didn’t mean it that way, I just didn’t know how to explain it to you.” She had tears in her eyes, Lucas snorted and just tucked her under the sheets.

“Are you going to leave?” She asked him, Lucas paused and shook his head.

“Hell, no. I am going to watch you sleep.” He chuckled, Taeri eyed him warily.

“I’m staying here, Tee. You don’t have to worry, you’re safe now.” He said seriously as he the chair closer to the bed.

“How bad is it?” She asked him softly.

“He took you away from us, Taeri. He wont make it out in one piece.” Lucas replied, Taeri’s forehead creased briefly but she stretched her palm to him.

Lucas smiled and laced their fingers together.

“Thank you, Wong. Nice save.” She murmured as she closed her eyes, Lucas smiled and kissed the back of her hand.

 

“Anytime, gongzhu.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++