022

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

Taeri shook off her coat and looked around the foyer, she made her way to the living room and found Jungwoo and Mark with the PlayStation. She puffed her cheeks as she headed for the indoor pool.

Her lips quirked up as he saw a lone figure sitting by the water, she shook off her sneakers and walked towards him.

“I trust that you’ve already eaten?” She asked as she sat down beside him, Lucas glanced at her.

“Aren’t you cold?” She murmured, Lucas was just wearing a pair of jeans and a white wife-beater.

“I’m fine.”

“You really shouldn’t be up and about; it might undo your stitches.” She said as she touched the bandage on her shoulder briefly.

“Is this your plan?” He asked as he took out the photo from earlier, Taeri picked up and nodded.

“Wow, that was fast.” She murmured as she examined the photo of her locking lips with Bangchan.

“They were the ones who paid Gilbae to trick us into visiting that apartment. District 9.” Lucas said, Taeri paused, she exhaled.

“They’re dangerous, Taeri.” He added as he faced her.

“Exactly.” She replied, Lucas looked at the photo again.

“That’s why I have to be close to them, I have to make Chan believe that I really want him back.” She explained, Lucas’s forehead creased.

“A lot of us got hurt, and I don’t want that to happen again, Wong. This might be the way to stop them.”

“Still, doing this alone,” Lucas faced her, his hand cupped the back of her neck.

“I’m not alone. I have you, you tall freak.” She smiled, Lucas exhaled he dropped his hand to his lap.

“Go to bed, Tee.” He said, Taeri grinned then she leaned over to bump her head with his, Lucas blinked at her.

“Good night, dark Lucas.” She said as she stood up and made her way to the glass doors, Lucas sighed before speaking.

“Taeri, wait.”

Taeri halted and turned to face his direction, Lucas stood up and made his way towards the girl.

“I’m glad you’re okay. Good night.” He murmured before wrapping his arms around her.

 

 

Taeyong stood up as Minah walked in his office.

“Is something wrong? It sounded urgent on the phone.” Taeyong said politely as he offered her a seat.

“I..Oppa, I tried reaching out to Taeri at school.”

Taeyong paused but he nodded and took a seat.

“She threatened me.”

“I..I agree with Taeri, I know how this sounds, but I think it’s better for the both us to get to know each other first.”

“But, oppa, we shouldn’t be delaying this. My parents are already asking a lot of questions.” Minah frowned, then she paused as Taeyong’s secretary walked in the room.

“Sir,” He said quietly before handing him an iPad, Taeyong grew confused.

“It’s urgent, sir.”

Taeyong nodded, he unlocked the screen and a grainy black and white footage started to play before him. He recognized the male sitting by the familiar-looking bar then a young lady had approached him.

His brows went up as he realized it was Minah, then she started crashing tongues with the male by the bar. His eyes went to the time and date on the edge of the screen.

Shownu

Taeyong hid his smirk before putting the device away, he looked up only meet Minah’s curious gaze.

“What is it? Is something wrong, oppa?”

“No, no.” He replied coolly, his phone buzzed and he took it out. It was a text from Taeri.

Your time to decide, brother. –Taeri

“Are we still going to delay things? Surely, Taeri will understand if we push through, this is business after all~”

Taeyong stood up and leaned down to meet her gaze, Minah grew flustered at how close his face was to hers.

“What’s the rush?” He said as he leaned in closer, Minah stilled.

“It’s not like we have any other plans anyway,” Taeyong said, his voice going an octave deeper.

“W-Well, I just~”

Taeyong chuckled and pressed his nose against her before pulling away.

“Should we go out for lunch?” He asked her, Minah could only nod and look away to hide her blushing cheeks.

 

 

Taeri was typing on her laptop with speed, she was biting on her lip as another file opened.

“Just what do you need all that for? Spying on an old enemy.” Johnny muttered over the phone, his family, the Seos, ran the two of the largest banks in the country.

“I found a video of Minah and Shownu exchanging saliva, oppa. So, I wanna know.”

“Know what?”

“I just feel like…there’s something, you know. It’s too much of a coincidence that she happens to be two-timing, sort of, my brother and one of our oldest enemies.”

“Fine, knock yourself out.”

“Thank you, oppa.” She chirped as Johnny ended the call, Shownu’s transactions appeared on the screen.

“Those are large amounts..to untraceable account.” She murmured, then she jumped when somebody sat down across her. She shut her laptop close and faced him.

“Busy?” Chan asked cheerfully as he set his bag down.

“A little, I was finishing a report for class.”

“We still up for the roadtrip tomorrow? I can come by and pick you up.” He offered.

“Sure, that sounds great.” She nodded quickly, he smiled before kissing her cheek.

“Look at you two, how sweet.” Changbin joined them, Taeri grinned at him, then she saw Jungwoo, Mark and Lucas enter the library. She paused, Chan followed her gaze.

“Your bff’s injured.” Changbin chuckled as he looked at Jungwoo’s bandaged arm, Taeri stole a glance at him, he saw the male smirk to himself.

“Yeah, so, what’s District 9 has been up to lately?” Taeri asked coolly, she saw how Chan paused for a bit, Changbin’s eyes went to her.

“Nothing much, why?”

Taeri saw Mark pause, Jungwoo and Lucas were looking at her, she started to gather her things.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” She said with a smile before standing up and crossing the hall, Chan’s fists curled as she watched her.

Jungwoo and Mark had walked first, Lucas stayed behind. He was grinning at Taeri as she reached him, he extended one arm to her.

Taeri was talking as she held onto the sleeve of his coat as they walked together.

Bangchan exhaled and looked away, he let out a shaky breath.

“We should get rid of that Wong brat too while we’re at it.” Changbin commented.

“Should have asked Changhun to aim for his heart or something.” Chan muttered before leaving the table.

 

 

“Jo Jinhyuk.” Taeri repeated, Lucas gave her a small nod as they walked towards their class.

“We can’t trace the name, just like Changhun said, it’s an alias.”

“I thought he wouldn’t budge.” Taeri said as they reached the elevator, Lucas gestured for her to get in first.

“Lucas.” Mark replied, Taeri blinked.

“Jaehyun oppa said the guy wouldn’t even say anything.” She looked at him meaningfully.

“Lucas made him spill.” Jungwoo chuckled, the doors pinged open again.

“Good job, Wong.” Taeri chuckled.

“Spill blood.” Mark cackled, Taeri groaned and slapped his arm.

The two went ahead of them, Lucas smiled before following them, but Taeri tugged on his arm.

“Why don’t they know?”

“What? Your boyfriend and his pals paying Gilbae to lure us into that mess?” Lucas chuckled, Taeri sent him a look.

“You didn’t tell them.” She faced him, Lucas paused and nodded.

“You promised you’d tell me about your plan, so here’s my end of the deal.” He said as he played with a lock of her hair.

“In return of you letting me in on this game of seduction of yours, I’ll help you finish off your game. Make them suffer.” Lucas bopped her nose, Taeri blinked at him.

“Game of seduction?”

“Isn’t that your plan? Making Bangchan fall for you to get info on them. And after that, you’ll get rid of him.”

“You are going to, right? Because, Tee, I was stabbed.” Lucas added in a childish tone.

Taeri just stared at him.

“H—How did you..I never told you that. We didn’t discuss that yet.” She spoke.

“You’re quite easy to read, Tee.” Lucas chuckled at her.

“It was the only way I could think of. To make him believe that I bought his lies.” She replied as she touched his shoulder, Lucas saw how her forehead creased.

“Taeyong hyung’s fine, that gash on his forehead wasn’t~”

“I know.” Taeri cut him off.

“Deep inside you’re worried, huh? Your oppa got hurt.” Lucas .

“Cut it out.” She glared at him, Lucas smiled and pressed his forehead against hers briefly.

“You can go first; I’ll get us coffee.”

"I want a ca~"

 

"A cappuccino, I know."

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++