047

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

Taeri exhaled as she looked at her parents again, her mother was chatting with Lucas and Jungwoo over some snacks and Taeyong was seated across their father.

She rolled her eyes to herself as she leaned back on the couch, her eyes went to her bandaged ankles.

“Are you okay, noona?” Mark sat down beside her, she smiled and leaned against him.

“Been better, I kind of miss school.”

“Did Jo Jinhyuk hit you in the head?” Mark balked at her, Taeri chuckled and mussed his hair.

“What I meant was, I want to go out of the house. It’s been days, Mark.”

“Not a good idea.” Mark shook his head as Lucas stood up to join them.

“Exactly.” The Wong heir grinned and sat down across the two.

“Well, you can’t lock me up here forever.” She argued, Taeyong chuckled and pointed towards her.

“Only until you fully recuperate, Taeri.” Mr. Lee spoke to her, Taeri’s eyes narrowed.

“He’s right, Tee. You should rest.” Jungwoo nodded, Taeri stuck her tongue out at him. Mrs. Lee laughed and picked up her cup of tea.

“You’ve been through a lot, daughter. You should rest, listen to your brothers.” She said softly.

“Eomma, do you even know what oppa and the guys did~”

“Let’s not talk about bad things today, noona. Tea?” Mark covered and gestured towards the tray, Lucas grinned and squeezed her hand.

 

 

“How bad? Should I prepare myself for nightmares?” Taeri said as Lucas sped out of the driveway, he smiled and shook his head.

“Yuta oppa said you went full on dark Lucas while I was away.” She said as she leaned back on the seat.

“I did?” Lucas replied with a playful tone.

“And that Chan’s going to be hospitalized for eight months or so.” She finished, Lucas rolled his eyes.

“He deserves it. Probably he needs more~”

“Lucas,” She sighed, he stretched his free hand towards her, Taeri smiled and laced her fingers with his.

“It was difficult, Taeri. We had no idea where you were, we didn’t know how badly you were hurt and…we felt powerless. I felt powerless.”

Taeri bit her lip, her forehead creased briefly.

“Lucas, I’m okay now. You~”

“I know that, but…I let that happen, Taeri. You were kidnapped right in front of me, and I couldn’t do anything.” He spoke quietly.

“Well, he had a C4. But okay.” She muttered back, Lucas’s lips quirked up and kissed the back of her hand.

“Do you want to drop by school before we join the others? You said you miss cafeteria food.” He said as he switched lanes, Taeri nodded.

“Oppa has been cooking nonstop at home, I’m sick of eating galbi.”

“Wow, Lee Taeri refuses to eat meat? What have they done to you?” Lucas cackled, Taeri slapped his arm.

“Kimbap sounds good, spicy ricecakes too.” She stated.

“We’ll get that.” Lucas nodded as he kept his eyes on the road, Taeri glanced at him and she smiled.

“Ice cream too.”

“Okay.”

She chuckled before taking off her seatbelt and pressing her lips against his cheek.

“Thank you, Wong.” She said as she strapped herself back, Lucas smiled and winked at her.

“Anytime, gongzhu.”

 

 

“So, what do we do now?” Jaehyun asked as he took a seat, Doyoung was looking at Jo Jinhyuk, the man still alive. They had a medical team stitch him up after they were doen taking care of him.

“We lay low for a bit, I think…personally, I think it’s best if we turn him in. And report all his crimes.” Taeyong spoke.

“Why would that do any good?” Doyoung asked, Johnny leaned back and glanced at the male again.

“He enemies in jail, Doyoung-ah. People he swindled money from, families he destroyed and, did I mention that Jo Jinhyuk also women when he was in Hong Kong? Surely, the inmates have heard about it.” Taeyong said.

“He has a point.” Yuta spoke, Kun grinned and took another sip from his cola.

“How do we do it, hyung?” Doyoung asked.

“The Wongs’ legal team will be handling it, all we have to do is,” Taeyong jutted his lips towards the male’s direction.

“Ship him to the police.”

The doors opened, Kun looked up from his seat, Jungwoo and Mark walked towards the group as they saw Taeri walking in, clutching to a bucket of mini donuts.

“Hey, princess.” Johnny greeted her with a hug. Lucas followed in, he had a water bottle in hand as he walked towards his friends.

“You look better, mei.”Kun reached out to touch her hand, Taeri grinned at him.

“I’m amazed he’s still breathing. Did an intervention happen?” She asked as she looked at Jo Jinhyuk who was tied to a gurney.

“We’re still making plans, come, sit.” Kun patted the empty seat next to his. Lucas handed her water to her and he looked at Jo Jinhyuk.

“Your father called, he said that the lawyer will be flying over tonight.” Taeyong spoke to him, Yuta smiled and tapped the younger male’s shoulder.

“It’s finally over, loosen up, Wong.” He said playfully, Lucas grinned back.

“It all ends tomorrow, hyung. When he’s finally behind bars.”

“Look at you guys, mafia boys are actually using the law. I am amazed.” Taeri said in wonder, Jungwoo sent her a dry look.

“Anyway, thank you for busting me out. You know I love you, right?” She chuckled.

“Does this translate to; can we eat dinner out tonight?” Doyoung mused as Jaehyun plopped beside the girl and pinched her cheek.

“Kind of, I’m thinking of something vegetarian~”

“Nope.” Taeyong intervened.

“Oppa, you’ve been feeding me~”

“We’re having Japanese food tonight, gongzhu.” Lucas grinned as he helped her stand up, Taeri rolled her eyes, then she focused on Jo Jinhyuk. Her brows rose briefly, then she pulled away from him and made her way towards the injured male.

“Tee,” Taeyong warned her gently, but Lucas shook his head at the older male. Jo Jinhyuk’s eyes widened as he saw the girl before him.

“It’s nice that they gagged you.” She said as she looked at him squarely, she looked at his hands, both were disfigured, she could even see some of his bones stick out from where his fingers used to be.

“You destroyed my dress. I really liked that one, you know.” She said as she raised her hand, Jinhyuk’s eyes widened as he realized what she was holding onto.

Taeri gave him a small smile as she poured the packet of salt over his wounds, the man started to scream in pain.

“Bon appetite, .” She stated before hopping back towards Lucas.

“What was that?” He asked as Taeri slipped her arm around his waist as they followed the others outside.

“I just said hi.” She grinned before pressing her cheek against his chest, he chuckled and kissed the top of her head.

“Dark Taeri had to drop by, huh?” He mused as they approached his car.

She rolled her eyes, Lucas grinned and opened the door for her.

 

 

The guys chatted as they waited for their food, Taeri was laughing as Jungwoo struggled to get rid of the wasabi on his shirt.

“You two, I’m really happy that you’re finally okay now.” Johnny said as she looked at the two older Lee siblings, Taeri blinked from her seat.

Taeyong was sitting next to her, he smiled before leaning over to muss his sister’s hair.

“And we’re really relieved that Taeyong decided to let Taeri be with Lucas. Can you imagine if he went against it?” Doyoung joked, Lucas grinned from his seat.

“Can we stop talking about the past? I was brat, I admit it, okay?” Taeri grumbled as she took a sip of her cola.

“Good thing you know.” Taeyong mused at her, she glared at him. Mark laughed from his seat.

“Oh, did I mention,” Yuta suddenly spoke up, Kun started to grin to himself.

“What is It, hyung?” Lucas chimed in, their food started to arrive. Taeri pointed towards the sushi platter and Jaehyun pushed it towards her.

“Your parents are flying in tomorrow too.” Yuta finished, Taeyong looked up from his plate.

“Really? Whose?” Lucas asked while chewing, Taeri winced and looked at him.

“Your parents, Lucas.” Jungwoo stated flatly, Lucas halted and he looked up from his plate.

“What?”

“Well, they know about the whole Jo Jinhyuk thing, they’re both worried about what happened to Taeri. So, they’re flying home to see her personally.”

“Me? But, I’m fine.” Taeri balked, Johnny and Doyoung started to grin.

“Tee, it translates to; the Wong elders want to meet you.” Jungwoo whispered loudly, Lucas sighed and shook his head.

“I’ve met uncle~”

“They want to meet you in a different light, Tee. You’re dating their son, remember?” Jungwoo explained again, Jaehyun and Kun started to laugh to themselves.

“Oh, right.” Taeri nodded quickly, Lucas stared at her, offended.

“Oh, right? Did you..forget about me already?” Lucas asked her, Taeri grinned and placed a piece of sushi on his plate.

“Not yet. But enjoy your California maki.” She winked at him, Taeyoung chuckled and just helped his sister with her udon.

“Well, here’s to Jo Jinhyuk rotting in jail.” Mark raised his glass, the others followed.

 

“And, here’s to our Taeri, finally she’s safe now.”

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++