040

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

Taeri leaned over the dusty table and watched, she could hear Kihyun and Wonho arguing with her brothers.

“You usually took the lead with this type of thing.” Jungwoo commented as he joined her.

“They’re trying to weasel out of this. Will oppa let them?” She asked.

“I don’t think so.”

Taeri nodded and crossed her arms, Jungwoo glanced at her.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” She nodded quickly.

“Tee, it’s going to be really bloody, I just..want to warn you before things get really out of hand.”

Taeri looked at her friend, Jungwo smiled and reached for her hand.

“What I meant was, we wont let Jo Jinhyuk touch even a single strand of your hair.”

“I’m just worried things might get out of hand, if this..leaks out to the public, or…someone finally notices our movements, I don’t want that.” Taeri murmured.

“That’s why we should always have a firm hold on the corporate world, we have Jaehyun hyung for that.”

“Right.” She said to herself as she looked up again, Kihyun was challenging Mark for a fight. Johnny and Doyoung were standing aside, observing.

“I’ll wait outside.” Taeri said before leaving the warehouse.

 

 

Lucas looked up just as he heard the metal doors slide open.

Okay, I’ll call you later.” He muttered before putting his phone away, Taeri paused when she saw him.

“So, dark Lucas isn’t out today?” She said teasingly as Lucas walked towards her.

“Dark Lucas is a bit busy, how did it go?”

“They’re just messing around with them, oppa knows we don’t really have to torture them. We’ll win either way.” She shrugged.

Lucas chuckled and buried his hands in his jean pockets.

“Is something bothering you?” He asked as he noticed how she crossed her arms and exhaled.

“It got me thinking, I came back. Then I become the target, if only I hadn’t gone home and decided to pursue my studies there, this…this wouldn’t have to happen. Nobody would have gotten hurt.” She said softly, Lucas started shaking his head.

“Taeri, no.”

“Think about it, ever since I got back, more trouble started. You’re also a victim.” She touched the bandage on his forehead briefly.

“Car accidents, attacks even assault, it all happened right after I~” Lucas grabbed her by the arms, Taeri halted and blinked at him.

“When will you stop doubting people?” He asked her.

“Lucas, I~”

“Why can’t you just trust me? I’ve been telling you the same thing ever since. I got your back, Tee. I can keep you safe, but, why do you never hear that? Is it so hard to understand everything?”

“Lucas, I wasn’t~”

“Stop blaming yourself. It’s only natural that everyone will protect you, you got hurt for us too. Just like how you hunted them for pay back, we will also do the same, so, please,” Lucas exhaled as he let go of her.

“Stop it. You can’t get hurt. You can’t be taken away from me.”

Taeri bit her lip, he took a step back from her.

“I—I’m sorry, Wong. I was just worried about~”

“I’ll pick you up for dinner. I have somewhere to go to.” Lucas muttered, he leaned over to kiss the top of her head and jogged towards his car. Taeri puffed her cheeks as she watched the Veyron speed away.

 

 

Lucas faced his men again, he set the papers on the hood of his car.

Is this true?

At first I thought it was just a rumor, but,” He pointed towards the photos again.

“He’s been spotted at Mongkok quite a number of times, and he also once challenged the president.”

My father?” Lucas was a bit surprised, no one really dared to go against the Wong patriarch.

Yes, he was so close in kidnapping the president, fortunately police intervened.

Then why wasn’t he taken away? Why is he even still breathing?” Lucas was irritated.

He used the law against us, president didn’t want it to blow up so he let it slide. This man has been in hiding ever since, but ever since word of young miss Lee leaving Hong Kong spread, he’s become more active.

Lucas scratched the back of his head and leaned against his car, he looked up as a silver Maserati Ghibli joined them.

Where is he now?

We are still verifying it.

Lucas nodded, his men bowed as Taeyong approached him.

“What’s wrong? You had to call me all the way here.”

“Hyung, it’s Jo Jinhyuk.”

Taeyong stilled, Lucas handed the papers to him and the photos.

“We have a face now.” Taeyong was surprised, Lucas bit his lip in worry.

“He’s a Korean national but with Chinese descent. He…He used to work for my family’s company.”

“So?”

“He was rising up in the ranks, until we found out that he was stealing from the company just to his finance drug dens. Pa fired him immediately, he tried making amends, but it didn’t work out. My father basically banished him out of society for that, but,”

“He got close to kidnapping him last year, but he got away.”

Taeyong let out a breath and shook his head.

“But, why is he targeting Taeri?”

“You mentioned it once, hyung. While Taeri was in Hong Kong, you asked my parents to look after her. So, secretly, she was guarded by our men too for added security. He may have assumed from that, and I’ve been around Taeri ever since she got back.” He said hesitantly.

“Right…I remember calling your father..because I was so worried. Lucas, I..didn’t know this would~”

“It’s still my family’s fault, hyung. You don’t have to feel apologetic about it.”

“I have a lot to thank you for, you always manage to talk Taeri out of trouble.” Taeyong slapped his arm.

“I’ll fix this, hyung. Since he’s our family’s~”

“No, you don’t have to do it alone. We’ll help you.”

“But, hyung, this rooted from our~”

“Just listen, if I let something bad happen to you, my sister will probably chase me around with a blade or something.” Taeyong said lightly, Lucas bit his lip.

“What do you think? Does she have to know?” Taeyong asked him.

“Taeri has to know. I’ll discuss this with her later.” Lucas easily replied, Taeyong paused briefly but he gave him a nod. Lucas excused himself and got in his car. Taeyong smiled and crossed his arms.

"This is probably why Taeri let him in, he understands her so well."

 

 

Taeri slid down from her car and looked around, her eyes landed on the restaurant across the street.

“I feel like I’ve gone too soft. It’s like everyone’s scolding me.” She mumbled to herself as she crossed the street.

“Hey there, miss!”

Taeri ignored the whistles and just headed straight for the doors, but a shadow had blocked her.

“Hey, no need to be mean. We just wanted to get to know you.” The male gave her a sleazy smile.

“Look, mister, things aren’t really going well now. You might break something if you continue this.” She sighed at him, the male blinked at her in confusion.

“Is this your way of getting my attention? Because it’s working.” His friends behind him snickered, the male grinned before touching her hair.

“I warned you.” She pointed out, then the doors behind him opened.

“Taeri,” A familiar deep voice made her look up, the males followed her gaze and they instantly froze.

“L—Lucas,” He stuttered.

“I was trying to call you, but you weren’t picking me up.” Taeri could sense that he wasn’t in a particularly good mood.

“W—Well, I think I left my phone at home. Sorry.” She blurted quickly, Lucas went down the steps and the males moved away.

“It’s way too early to be harassing women, what the hell are you doing?” He spoke without facing them, she saw how they all tensed up.

“W—We didn’t know who s—she was, Lucas. I thought~”

“If she wasn’t Taeyong’s sister you would harass her, huh?” Lucas’s cold eyes finally went to them.

“N—No, of course not, we just wanted to be friends.” One stuttered, Lucas shifted his weight and tugged Taeri behind him.

“We’re sorry, agasshi. We didn’t know that~”

“Get lost.” Lucas said softly, they all blinked at him.

“Lucas, we’re really~”

“Like I said, get lost!” He snapped at them, the three ran away from the building. Taeri chewed on her lip as she watched them. She heard Lucas sigh before facing her.

“Are you okay? Did they hurt you?” He asked.

“No, I’m fine. Thanks.” She murmured, Lucas shook his head.

“I’m sorry about earlier, things aren’t exactly very good right now. Especially with….the Bangchan issue.” He said quietly.

“I know,” Taeri nodded before patting his cheek.

“I just don’t want you to stress over it, Tee. You deserve a break, we all do.” Lucas tilted his head at her.

“Yeah, a break from school would do us well.”

“This is coming from someone who loves to ditch class.” Lucas chuckled before pulling her into the restaurant.

“Let’s not forget, I still am older than you.”

“Says the agasshi who used Hong Kong dollars to pay for her groceries.” He hummed before quickly racing to towards their reserved table.

“Ya!”

Taeri watched as Lucas sat down and he winked at her.

“Let’s order seasoned chicke then, the spicier the better.” She said as she sat down across him, Lucas started to grin sheepishly.

“You look beautiful tonight, gongzhu.” He batted his eyes at her.

“I grew up with boys, Lucas. Do you think that’ll work on me?”

“I tried.” Lucas shrugged to himself, Taeri smiled and just nudged his shoe with hers.

“Hmm?” He looked up from the menu.

“I think I like you too.”

“You think? Wow, I’m hurt.” Lucas shuddered.

“Take it or leave it, Wong.” Taeri rolled her eyes at him, he smiled before reaching over to touch her hair.

 

“Leaving isn’t on the plan. Thank you, Lee Taeri.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++