048

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

Taeri grunted as she shut her car’s door close, she started to mumble in Mandarin as she walked towards the house. She was dragging her backpack across the foyer and kicked off her boots as she reached the living room.

“Oppa?” She called out as she reached the room, she paused when she saw Lucas laying flat on the sofa, playing a game on his phone.

“How was your exam?” Lucas looked up and gsve her one of his infectious grins. Taeri had missed class due to her stay in the hospital.

“Hell.” She tossed her backpack on the floor and looked at him.

“I asked the kitchen to prepare something to eat, would you~”

Taeri grumbled as she climbed on the sofa and lay flat across his chest, Lucas chuckled and wrapped his arms around her.

“That bad?” He murmured as he rubbed her back soothingly, Taeri rolled her eyes and buried her face on his chest.

“I feel like my head is about to burst. How was your day?”

“Pretty boring. And I had to pick up my parents at the airport. We have a dinner reservation for tonight too.” He murmured as he toyed with locks of her hair.

“I know, oppa called me. He told me to dress nicely.” She snorted, Lucas chuckled and kissed the side of her head.

“Anyway, I’m glad you’re here.” She said as she pulled her face away and pressed her lips against his cheek.

“Hmm, who are you and what have you done to my gongzhu?” He chuckled deeply, Taeri smiled and sat up.

“I’m just going to shower and change, then we can go out.”

“Can we get boba tea?” Lucas asked as she slid down from the sofa, Taeri smiled.

“I’ll buy you one.” She nodded and kissed his forehead before walking to the stairs.

 

 

“It’s so quiet, it feels weird.” Taeri murmured as they got inside the mall, Lucas was happily sipping on his boba tea.

“I like it.” Lucas nodded and took her hand in his, Taeri shook her head.

“Maybe I’m just not used to it yet, I mean, I went home and well, trouble started right away. People wanted to kill me, my brothers were beyond mad that someone wanted me dead. Fight started, and we found out I was the target.”

“Hmm, I’m glad you did decide to come home.” Lucas nodded happily.

“I was actually thinking of flying to Hong Kong next week, I have a couple of things I need to take care of. I mean, I did fly in thinking I didn’t have to stay for long.”

“What? You still want to escape?” He said teasingly as they entered a clothing boutique, Taeri picked up a pair of jeans and scrunched her nose.

“Ani, I was hoping you’d come along. Do you want to?” She grinned at him.

“Hmm, maybe I can make some time.”

“Your choice to make.” She shrugged at him and rolled his eyes, Lucas chuckled and picked up one of the dresses before them.

“You want me to wear that tonight? It’s pretty.” She nodded as she took it from him.

“It’s perfect, it doesn’t show any skin. Well, just~”

“You think I didn’t know? I’m not wearing that, Wong. It will make me look forty years older.” She chuckled before walking away from him, Lucas pouted and followed the girl.

“But hyung will like it, he said~”

“When did I care about what Taeyong oppa thinks? You know me better than that.”

“Right. At least I tried.” Lucas rolled his eyes before plopping down on one of the leather seats.

Taeri chuckled and continued roaming around the store.

 

 

“Finally, back to normal operations.” Johnny smiled as he sat down, Mark nodded at the older male.

“Does that mean we’re back to checking those clubs outside Seoul?” Jaehyun leaned over the desk, Taeyong grinned.

“Now you’re excited over that?” Jungwoo asked.

“It’s easier than chasing down a lone man who wants to kill our princess.” Jaehyun nodded, Yuta shook his head and poured himself a glass of water.

“There’s been a lot of noise at Suwon after they heard about what we did to Shownu and his friends, but it’s been straightened out.” Doyoung said.

“Straightened out? Well, that’s another term for it.” Kun smirked as he crossed his legs.

“What did you do, oppa?” Taeri asked as she walked in the room clad in a nice burgundy dress that showcased her arms and legs.

“Someone sent the police over to them, that cut off all their drug dealing business. And also, the four other businesses they were operating.” Johnny explained, Taeri shook her head and plopped down beside Mark.

“Are you guys leaving?” Taeyong asked her.

“In a few, Lucas will be picking me up. Oppa, I,” Taeri took out something from her purse and handed it to him. Taeyong paused as he realized it was a plane ticket, the table turned silent.

The other guys started to look at her worriedly, Taeri noticed the shift in their moods and she chuckled.

“It’s not a one-way ticket, genius.” She snorted, Taeyong blinked at her.

“I have things I need to take home with me, Lee Taeyong-ssi. It’s only for a few days.”

The others exhaled, Kun and Johnny laughed.

“Are you flying alone~”

“No, I asked Jungwoo to come. Lucas too.” She nodded as she stood up.

“Okay. I’ll have someone pick you up at the airport then.” Taeyong nodded, Taeri chuckled and mussed Mark’s hair before leaving the room.

“Aigoo, you were worried that she’s going to leave again, hyung.” Jaehyun mused at him.

“Taeri’s not going to leave you now, I already feel bad for your future girlfriend, she’s a lot to handle, our dragon.” Yuta nodded along.

 

 

“Uncle, auntie.” Taeri smiled as she entered the room, Lucas pulled the seat for her.

We heard about what happened, we were all so worried. Are you feeling better now?” Mrs. Wong took her hand in hers.

“Yes, I wasn’t really hurt badly. How was your flight to Seoul?” She asked politely as the elders asked her to sit down.

It was fine. Has our son been treating you nicely? Just tell us and uncle will beat him up for you if he’s been acting badly.” Mr. Wong said jokingly, Lucas rolled his eyes but he grinned back at his father.

“Badly? They all had fun torturing Jo Jinhyuk while I was in the hospital.” She mused back.

“Beyond recognition?” Mr. Wong asked, his son nodded.

Good.” He said approvingly, Taeri blinked but she laughed.

That man is such a pain, he’s been trying to track him down ever since, Taeri.” Mrs. Wong explained.

“I heard, I’m glad he’s in prison now.” Taeri said, and then their food arrived. The Wongs chatted with their son animatedly and asked the two about school. They even inquired about how Taeyong and the others were doing.

“It’s funny.” Taeri said as they followed the elders out of the reserved dining hall.

is?” Lucas fidgeted with his necktie briefly before placing his palm on her back.

“Our families know each other really well, and yet we never even met before.”

“Tee, you studied in my hometown. And I studied in yours.” Lucas chuckled and pulled her closer to him.

“I know, but can you imagine if I met you before Chan?” She mused.

“Can we not talk about him?” Lucas eyed her warily, Taeri started to laughed.

“I’m just joking, Wong. I like that I met you later. At least you didn’t see me when I was being unreasonable and acting like a brat.”

“You are still a brat. My brat.” Lucas said teasingly.

“Sometimes, I think I let you bully me too much. I~”

Lucas leaned over and gave her quick peck on the cheek, Taeri blinked at him.

“You know I love you, right?”

“I think I do.” Taeri replied as they reached the doors, the Wong elders waved at them before getting in their waiting Rolls Royce.

“Good thing you know, gongzhu.” Lucas mused back as his car arrived at the curb, Taeri smiled to herself as she watched him approach his car, he opened the door for her.

 

Good thing I came home.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

THE END! (06/12/2018)

Thank you everyone!