024

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

Doyoung closed his eyes as he leaned back on the bench, Yuta was rushed to the operating room an hour ago, and they still didn’t have news.

“What? It’s gone?” Taeyong’s cold tone made the other staff pause, Johnny shook his head and put his phone down.

“Yes, we checked the CCTV footage, the driver went down. He checked on director Nakamoto for a few seconds then he left.” The male spoke.

“The plate number?” Taeyong looked at Johnny.

“It was a fake, we managed to track it down, it was a department store’s delivery van.”

“Hyung!” Lucas was rushing to them, Jungwoo looked at the red light on top of the OR’s doors, his brows furrowed.

“We checked the other footages, but the truck entered a highway then after that it disappeared, sir.”

Mark sat down and rubbed his temples, Taeyong looked up and saw Yuta’s parents walking towards them.

“The elders will be here soon, where’s Tee?” Johnny spoke.

“I’ll take care of it.” Lucas said as he stood up and took his phone out.

 

 

Chan paused when Taeri’s phone started to ring, they were having a late lunch with the guys.

Lucas

“What’s this? They’re checking on you?” Minho grinned at her, Seungmin placed some meat in front of her.

“No. Probably something about that report we’re making for class.” She answered as she picked up her phone.

“You can take that later, I’m sure it can wait. It’s a weekend.”

Taeri’s brows rose, but she shook her head.

“I should pick this up before he launches a manhunt.” She said with a smile as she stood up and walked away from their table.

“Told you, he’s going to be a pain.” Changbin stated, Jisung nodded from his seat.

“This guy is amazing; he can actually demand from Lee Taeri.” Minho said before chewing.

“What do you think? Should we take him out too?” Changbin offered, Chan glanced at the windows again, Taeri was already on the phone. Then she stopped moving, Bangchan paused.

“She’s probably heard of it by now.” Seungmin commented, then Taeri started to run for her car.

Chan was about to stand when Minho grabbed him by the arm.

“Don’t~”

“She’s going to over speed because she’s worried, if something bad happens to her, they will come down on us like missiles. Do you want that to happen? Do you think we can fight them now?” Chan snapped at him. Minho exhaled and let him go.

 

 

Taeri chewed on her lip in worry as Chan drove, her thoughts were on Yuta and how they still had no idea what was happening behind the OR’s doors.

“What did they say?”

“Nothing. We don’t know yet.” Taeri frowned, they had reached Seoul and Chan was already heading for the hospital.

“He’s going to be fine, Taeri. Yuta is~”

“Just don’t. I don’t want to be comforted, I just need to know if he’s fine.” She stated, Bangchan paused but he remained silent. It took them a few minutes to reach the hospital, Chan pulled over and Taeri slid down from the car.

“Noona!” Mark was standing by the door along with six men clad in dark suits, the mafia’s men.

“Mark.” She sighed as she reached him, Bangchan followed behind her but he was pushed back.

“I think that’s enough. You don’t have to be here.” Lucas spoke, Taeri looked up.

“I’m here for her. Not for trouble.” Bangchan said evenly, Mark glanced around them worriedly.

“Leave.”

Bangchan smirked and slapped his arm away from him, the guards tensed.

“I’m the boyfriend, not you. You don’t get to tell me what to do.” He spat.

“So, why don’t you back off, alright? Just go back to being an obedient pup to your master, Taeyong.” Bangchan chuckled, then Lucas grabbed him by the collar.

“Lucas!”

Bangchan started to gasp for air as he struggled to remove Lucas’s grip on him. Mark halted, he rarely saw Lucas being this angry and he always managed to control his temper, but this was different.

“Lucas,” Taeri rushed to him, Lucas’s eyes went to her.

“Things are already bad, let him go.” She said softly, his gaze met hers, he could already see the worry in her eyes.

“Lucas, please.” She touched his arm, he exhaled before dropping Chan to floor, the latter gasped for air.

“We’ll wait inside.” Lucas stated before leaving with Mark, but the guards stayed. Taeri exhaled before helping Chan up.

“I’m sorry, things are already tensed up, you didn’t really have to pick a fight with him.”

“I just wanted to check something, Taeri.”

“What?”

“Nothing,” Chan touched her hair and he smiled.

“I’ll see you at school.” Chan said before leaving, Taeri exhaled and turned for the hospital doors, she saw Lucas waiting, his eyes were on hers as he stretched one arm.

The guards followed her as she moved.

“Are your stiches okay?” She asked as she hooked her arm with his.

“Yeah.” He said quietly as they walked to the elevator. Lucas glanced behind and saw Chan staring at them both, his lips quirked up before pulling Taeri closer to him.

"It's all good, Tee." 

 

 

Taeyong looked up as his sister arrived, Taeri approached Yuta’s parents and proceeded to comfort Mrs. Nakamoto.

“Do we have news?” Mark approached Doyoung.

“The doctors already spoke with the elders, he’s going to be fine but,” Johnny trailed off, Taeri looked up.

“It might take months to recuperate, his right leg was badly broken, his lungs got bruised.”

“How did this happen, oppa?” Taeri walked to them, she was looking around, her forehead furrowed.

“He was driving, making a left turn at Sinchon then a truck suddenly rammed into him.” Johnny spoke, Lucas saw the girl pause.

“Where’s the truck?” Taeri asked.

“We’ve been trying to trace it, it had a fake license plate on.” Taeyong replied, Taeri took a step back.

“Where..Where did this happen again?” She asked.

“Sinchon exit.” Johnny nodded.

Taeri stilled, her grip on her purse tightened as she turned away from Johnny.

“No.” Taeri breathed as she walked away from the group, Jungwoo stood up and went after her.

“Taeri!” He called as the girl stormed towards their guards, Lucas and Johnny watched the two.

“Taeri!” Jungwoo grabbed her arm, but the girl wouldn’t face him.

“Yes, agasshi?”

“I want that truck parked at our house by tomorrow.”

“But, young miss..we’ve been trying to find it, but, it disappeared. We~”

“Did I ask for excuses? I want that truck at the house. By tomorrow.”

The males looked away.

“And, I also want you to find the driver. I don’t care if he’s dead dead or alive, I want him in our custody. You can even ask the police for help if you need it.” Taeri stated flatly. Mark and Doyoung could only listen, Taeri rarely took control and it usually scares most of their men when she does.

“I mean it, dead or alive.”

“Tee,” Jungwoo gripped her hand.

Taeri faced him, she let out a shaky breath.

“Call everyone. Search for the truck and its driver.” Taeyong spoke, the males nodded and left the area.

“You should grab something to eat. We’ll take care of things here.” Taeyong faced her, Taeri didn’t reply, instead she just looked at Lucas.

“Sinchon exit.” She repeated to herself, Lucas paused and he approached her, Taeri pulled him away from the group.

What’s wrong?” He spoke softly, Taeri didn’t reply, she just pressed her head against his chest.

“I should have seen it coming.” She whispered as her fists curled tightly, Lucas bit his lip and just rubbed her back soothingly.

“Hyung’s going to be fine, Tee. He’s passed the critical stage.” He said soothingly as he pressed his nose against the crown of her head.

You don’t understand, Lucas. I…could have stopped this.

Taeri, there is no way you can prevent a truck~

They did it. District 9.

Lucas stilled, Taeri pulled away and looked up to meet his gaze.

What?

 

I’m going to get them.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++