030

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

“Do you want to add anything else, young miss?”

Taeri looked up from the couch, she was inside Taeyong’s office together with his secretary and the head of the PR team.

“You can say that..my brother will probably be back in a month or so. He needs a lot of rest now.” She said softly.

“Yes, we’ll add that.” The PR team head nodded as he typed on his laptop furiously.

“Will there be anything else, young miss?”

“No, you can go.” Taeri dismissed them, she exhaled as the two staff left the room.

She left her seat and walked towards her brother’s desk, her eyes went to his nameplate. Taeri looked around and noticed the hidden safe underneath his desk, she smiled as she opened it and a finger scanner popped out.

“He probably deleted me from this.” She murmured as she pressed her thumb on the device, she blinked in surprise the door opened.

She sat down on the carpeted floor and took a peek, there were a few wads of cash, legal documents, a handgun and a familiar looking laptop.

She reached for the gadget and was surprised to find out that it was Bangchan’s.

Taeri switched it on and waited for it the device to load up, she leaned back, her eyes still on the screen.

She puffed her cheeks as she started to browse through Chan’s files, then she stopped when she noticed a folder that had her name on it. She clicked it open and Taeri froze, she choked on her own breath as she scrolled through the photos.

Photos of her.

Photos that could destroy her.

She kicked the laptop away from her as tears stain her cheeks, she plucked the pistol out of the safe and shot the device twice.

“Agasshi!” Her gurads rushed in the room, she looked up, her lips still quivering.

“I want you to get Bangchan right now.” She ordered.

“Agasshi, we have direct orders to watch over you.”

“Does it look like someone would dare attack me right now?” She replied as she cocked the gun again. The two males looked at each other before stepping out of the office.

 

 

Changbin strolled in the male restrooms with ease, he made his way to the faucets and was about to turn on the tap when somebody appeared beside him, he looked up and smirked.

“I thought you left with your princess.” He spoke, Lucas smirked.

“She wanted me to do something before I leave.”

“Hmm, typical Taeri, she always wants to control people. She thinks she can, but let’s be honest,” Changbin faced Lucas, the latter stared back.

“You’re probably only showing interest because you want to get in her pants, huh?” He chuckled, Lucas’s jaw twitched.

“Actually,” Lucas spoke as he took a step closer to him, Changbin paused.

“I volunteered.”

“What~”

Lucas grabbed him by the collar and pressed his free hand against the wound on his shoulder, Changbin started to wince in pain.

“Let go of me!” Changbin yelled, Lucas started to laugh.

“Do you think people will hear you from here? I asked them to evacuate the floor.” Lucas said conversationally.

“I mentioned something about a crazy lunatic roaming around the campus grounds, then they all left.”

“You’re out of your mind, my friends are just outside~”

“I am the crazy lunatic around here.” His voice went an octave deeper as he slammed Changbin against the mirrors, the male winced in pain. Then Lucas picked him again and hit his head against the cubicle.

“You want to with her?” Lucas chuckled as he twisted the male’s arm on his back, Changbin started to scream in agony.

“You have to get through me first.” He said as Changbin’s wrist popped.

Lucas dropped him and wiped the blood off his palm.

“They will get you for this. Taeri’s just using you!” Changbin said weakly.

Lucas chuckled heartily just as two men in dark suits stepped in the room.

 

 

“Hyung, Taeri disappeared.” Jungwoo barged into the room, Taeyong looked up from his phone.

“What?” The eldest Lee barked, Mark stood up, his forehead creased.

“She asked Lucas to take care of something because she has to head to your office to prepare a statement for the company, then…” Jungwoo trailed off.

“Then, what?”

“They heard gunshots from your office, they rushed in and Taeri sent them away with one..specific order.”

“Gunshots? Did she get into your safe?” Mark looked at his brother.

“She can.” Taeyong said hesitantly, he looked at Jungwoo.

“Why was she holding a gun? Who..was she shooting?”

“They said something about a laptop, hyung.”

Taeyong stilled, his phone slipped from his fingers.

“What’s going on?” Mark asked.

“That laptop…it’s Bangchan’s laptop. I had someone…fix it..those photos..” Taeyong started yanked out the needles that were attached to his arm, he slid down from his bed and pushed the IV drip away from him.

“Put Lucas on the line!” He barked as he grabbed his clothes.

“Hyung, you can’t leave~”

“Someone has to get to Taeri before she starts something that may harm her."

 

 

Lucas hid in the shadows as his men tied Changbin to a chair. The male was in pain as his stitches were busted open, his shirt had ripped, giving them a full display of the gunshot wound Taeyong gave him.

One guard looked at Lucas, he gave them a small nod and the three of them backed away.

“What do you want?” Changbin blindly yelled, the Lees had a separated garage a few meters away from the house, it was soundproof and could fit more than ten cars.

Lucas leaned back, his forehead creasing, then he jumped in surprised when the doors were rolled open.

Changbin squinted just as Taeri walked in the room, Lucas was about to walk to her when he noticed she was holding onto something.

“Where is he?” She hissed as she neared Changbin, Lucas walked towards her.

“What are you talking about, princess?” Changbin chuckled, Taeri laughed along with him before striking him across the face with the pistol.

“Let me ask again, where is he?” She barked.

“Taeri,” Lucas grew concerned, she turned to him and he was surprise to see how red her eyes were.

“Why are you curious? You broke up with him earlier for that rich Chinese boy.” Changbin cackled, he his lip before spitting out blood.

Chapo. Pablo.” She said softly, Lucas watched as the two German Shepherds dashed towards them, the guards started to move forward.

Changbin’s eyes went to the large canines who both had their eyes on their master, Lucas tried to reach for Taeri’s arm.

What’s going on?” He spoke in Mandarin.

“I wonder how that wound feels, I never got the chance to ask Taeyong or Johnny yet.” Taeri spoke, she placed her gun down.

“So, this is what’s going to happen now? Typical Taeri, hiding her feelings behind that cold mask. You must have found out, huh?” Changbin cackled.

Lucas grew confused.

“Chan hyung was very proud of his collection.” He stated with a malicious grin, Lucas glanced at Taeri again, there was no trace of emotion on her face.

“Your photos. I’m impressed, Taeri. Who knew underneath all those clothes, you have a perfect figure I’d like to ~”

Lucas’s fist connected with his face, Changbin landed on the cold hard floor, his lip was busted open.

Taeri stood frozen on her spot, her fists curled tightly, Lucas turned to her, he shook off his jacket and draped it around her.

“Come on, let’s get you home.” He said softly as he tried to pull her, but Taeri wouldn’t budge.

“You see, Taeri, you cannot win this.” Changbin chortled while his lip continued to bleed.

“We can release those photos anytime, I’m sure Jooheon hyung would love to see your older brother be blamed for all this.” He cackled, Taeri looked up.

“Lighter.” She spoke, one guard rushed to her with a small lighter, she pulled away from Lucas and walked towards Changbin.

She knelt down beside him and started to take something out from her jean pocket.

“Like I said, I wonder how that wound feels,” She said as she lit the cigarette she took out and pressed it against his open wound, Changbin started to scream in agony and the two dogs started to bark aggressively.

Taeri pressed the cig harder and tears started to come out of Changbin’s eyes.

“How does it feel? Refreshing, right?” She said sweetly, Lucas just whistled for the dogs to follow him out of the building.

Taeri glanced behind her as her dogs followed the tall male.

“S—top..T—Taeri..Stop!” Changbin cried.

“But you didn’t stop from wanting to kill us. So, why should I?”

She raised one palm and guards started to approach her.

“You have an hour to tell them where Chan is.” She stated as she dropped the cigarette and stood up.

“If you don’t tell them his location, Lucas is always free. Like he said, we never run out of knives.”

Then Taeri paused, she turned to face him again.

“But I did promise oppa to make you chew on bullets, we can decide on that later.”

 

 

Taeri wrapped her arms around herself as she stood by windowsill, the pictures from earlier started to flash in her head. She began to rubbed her palms roughly against her arms, tears started to spill from her eyes as she ignored the pain on her skin.

“Taeri!”

Lucas set the tea down and rushed to her, Taeri was starting to sob while her arms turned pink.

“Taeri, stop!” Lucas grabbed her hands, she didn’t meet his gaze.

“Taeri~”

“You know, huh?” She spoke, Lucas halted.

“You know what really happened. Everyone does!” She yelled at him, Lucas dropped his hands and exhaled.

“I..They told me.”

Taeri started to shake her head.

“Taeri, I’m sorry. I wanted to tell you but….I know I shouldn’t interfere, it was your brothers’ decision to~”

“They probably made the right choice. If I had killed someone during my high school years, my parents would have deported me to an asylum.” She spat, Lucas bit his lip.

Taeri looked up and finally met his gaze.

“Those photos will never come out, I’ll make sure of it.” Lucas spoke, Taeri shook her head again.

“If only I had known sooner…I would never have left, Lucas. I feel like trash.”

“No, no,”

Taeri just leaned against him, he could sense it, she was not just physically drained, but mentally too.

“I didn’t speak to my brother for three years, thinking that he beat him up just because he was from a rival gang..but in reality…oppa was just protecting me. And what did I do?” She mumbled.

“I ignored him. I hated him. I wanted him to die.” She sobbed, Lucas frowned and just wrapped her in his arms tightly.

“I don’t want to do this anymore. He…He turned me against my own family.”

“Taeri, it’s not your fault.” Lucas whispered, Taeri didn’t react and her tears just continued to roll down her cheeks.

“I’m not going to assure you that everything’s fine, but,” Lucas started.

“I’ll find him for you.”

“Lucas, they might hurt you. Shownu and his friends are nothing like District 9, they’re stronger and~”

“Taeri, I’m not going alone. Jungwoo, Jaehyun hyung~”

“I can’t afford to have another person hurt, Lucas. Not you.” She stated as she pulled away from him.

“Someone has to find him.”

“Just promise me you wont do anything without telling me.” She spoke, her eyes meeting his.

“Lucas,” She sighed when he remained silent.

“Okay, you should rest. I’ll take care of everything.” He said before kissing the side of her head, Taeri paused.

“You always say that.”

Lucas paused, Taeri exhaled.

“I’ll take care of it. Let me take care of it. I’ll take care of everything. You..always say that.” She said softly.

“And did I ever fail?” Lucas gave her a small smile.

“You never have. And it’s scary.” She said before cupping his cheek briefly.

“You’re kinda scary, Wong.” She nodded to herself, Lucas grew confused.

“I’m the scary one? Did you not see yourself earlier? Changbin and the cigarette?” He blurted out, she let out a small chuckle.

“Get out, I’m going to take a shower. I’m probably needed at the hospital.” She said to him, then they heard a loud rumble from the front yard, they walked to the windows and saw three black SUVs roll into the curb.

“Did you…go..and disappear again?” He asked as he saw Taeyong slide down from the car, followed by a Johnny who was being assisted by a nurse.

Oops?” She winced.

“Shower. I’ll take care of it.” Lucas sighed before leaving the room.

 

“He’s scary. It’s frustrating.” Taeri murmured to herself before walking to her bathroom.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++