016

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

 

 

“This is what you ordered?” Mark scratched the back of his head, it was a Monday morning and the two siblings were both ready for school.

“Yeah. Cute, huh?”

“I was actually expecting something..normal.” Mark muttered as he looked at the white Mercedes Benz G Class Wagon. Taeri had added a personal touch, she had it lifted with wheels that were almost twice as large as the regular ones.

“Normal? Like what? A Lamborghini?” She snorted.

“Well, something like that, noona.” Mark replied.

“Anyway, I have to go first.”

“This early?” Mark was confused, Taeri shrugged at him.

“Appa wants to see me at the office. See ya, maknae.” Taeri mussed his hair before getting inside her car. Taeri shook off her jacket and started the car, she sped out of the property and leaned back on her seat. It took her almost half an hour to reach her family’s company, she pulled right in front of the curb and eyed that company’s logo briefly.

“I haven’t been here in years.” She said to herself as she slid down from the car, she handed they key to the valet and went straight to the lobby.

“Taeri,”

She paused, Taeyong was walking towards her, his secretary trailing behind him.

“Young miss,” He greeted her politely.

“We need to talk.” Taeyong said, his tone was flat and cold. It was a tone Taeri knew well, she exhaled.

“It’s good to see you, secretary Hong.” She said politely, the male bowed and backed away.

“I’m only here for appa, he asked me to~”

“He’s out of town. I asked his secretary to call you.” Taeyong stated, Taeri’s brows furrowed.

“Then, I’m out.” She said before turning away from him.

“Why are you still meeting him?” Taeyong questioned, she halted.

“Now you’re spying on me?” She faced him, Taeyong exhaled.

“That’s really great, oppa. Way to make me feel at home.” She spat, the employees paused and glanced at the two siblings.

“I already told you, Tee. He’s not good for you.”

“Why? Just because he belongs to an enemy gang? Do you think I’m going to buy that crap?” She wanted to laugh.

“Taeri, there are things that you do not~”

“How about me make a deal, president Lee.” Taeri stated.

“Taeri, don’t~”

“I’ll help you get rid of that fiancé of yours and, you back off.”

“What are you saying?” Taeyong froze, Taeri started to smirk.

“You’re easy to read, president Lee. You don’t want to marry that girl. But you don’t want to disobey the elders.”

“Is this how much you want to get back with him? You’re willing to protect me from my own decisions?” Taeyong questioned.

“Anything to get you out of my life, oppa. I’ll do it.” She replied coolly before walking back to the doors.

Taeyong let out a shaky breath and got in the elevator.

 

 

“This table is quiet.” Jaehyun observed as he set his food down, Lucas looked up from his sandwich.

“It feels weird not seeing Taeri whining beside you.” Jungwoo stated as he started to eat.

“She got her car today, I didn’t need to pick her up. Have you seen her?” Lucas replied.

“No, I haven’t seen noona since this morning.” Mark said while opening his can of soda, then he paused.

“What is she doing?” He blurted, Jungwoo followed his gaze. Jaehyun paused and sighed.

Taeri already had a tray of food with her, she was making her way across their table. Then she smiled before taking her seat across Bangchan and his friends.

Lucas’s brows went up, he took a sip of his juice and glanced at the empty seat beside him.

“Taeyong hyung already knows.” Jaehyun stated.

“Someone spotted them talking a couple of times. He was angry.”

“I don’t understand,” Lucas spoke.

“What?”

“Why is everybody….so hostile towards him? I get that he’s from an enemy gang, but..Taeri and him..” Lucas trailed off, Mark bit his lip.

“It’s not just that.” The youngest Lee spoke, Jungwoo looked away.

“What?”

“He was Taeri noona’s first love. In a way, he meant everything to her back then, but..Taeyong hyung found out something.”

Lucas set his utensils down, Mark glanced at Jaehyun briefly.

“He should know.” Jaehyun spoke.

“They usually got together at their place, it didn’t really bother us because they were always with friends. But, one time, he left his laptop at our house.” Mark started.

“Taeyong hyung thought I was his, so he opened it. And, he discovered that Bangchan has been taking very…improper photos of noona, and not just her, but many other women.”

Lucas’s eyes widened in shock, Mark shook his head.

“Hyung got so mad, he rushed to Bangchan’s place. He called us all up, noona included. And he made her watch as he beat the hell out of him.”

Lucas was quiet.

“It’s not just that. We discovered that Bangchan was receiving money from an unidentified person. We hacked into his emails and found out that he was trying to sell Taeri to one of our enemies.”

“He should be dead by now.” Jungwoo said in his usual calm tone.

“He did all that? And..Taeri doesn’t know?” Lucas questioned.

“Taeyong wanted to protect her, we all agreed on that.”

“So, you just left her clueless? That was your way of protecting her?”

“Lucas,”

Lucas shook his head.

“Look at her, she’s basically walking in a lion’s den and you’re just watching her do it.” Lucas glanced behind them, Taeri was chatting with Bangchan happily.

“We wanted to tell her, but we didn’t want her to be traumatized by it.” Jaehyun explained.

“I thought you all knew her well enough. Taeri can handle the truth, she’d probably personally kill that er on her own.” He spat before leaving the table.

 

 

“Did you have a fun weekend?” Chan smiled as she sat down.

“So, so. I had to buy new clothes.” She shrugged as she started to eat, she glanced behind them.

“You’re not getting into trouble for this, right?” He asked her while reaching for her hand.

“Right, what if your older brother sees you sitting with us, noona?” Jisung added, Changbin looked up from his plate.

“Ya, don’t dampen the mood.” Minho waved him away.

“It’s fine. I can handle oppa now.”

“So, are you up for a road trip this weekend?” Bangchan asked her, Taeri’s brows rose.

“Just by the beach, are you free?”

“Sure, I’ll come by at your place and we can leave together.” She replied, then she glanced behind her. Lucas stood up from their table, judging by the looks on the others’ faces, something went wrong.

Taeri watched as Lucas pushed the cafeteria doors open and he disappeared.

Well, dark Lucas is out.

“Taeri?” Bangchan followed her gaze, his forehead creased for a brief moment.

“Hmm?”

“Let’s eat.” He said to her, Taeri nodded and picked up her fork.

 

 

Lucas exhaled as he leaned on the balustrade, his fists curled over the steel and he shook his head.

Taeri had no idea of how much danger she’s in. He knew he had no right to tell her anything, but watching her approach Bangchan, it drove him crazy.

“What’s this? Dark Lucas wants to hang out?”

He glanced behind him, Taeri grinned and approached him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at class?” His tone came out a little harsh, Taeri shrugged and stood beside him, her eyes scanned the campus property.

“You think I’m not used to men with terrible temper?” She chuckled before handing him a can of iced coffee, Lucas exhaled and faced her.

“What are you doing?” He asked her, Taeri paused.

“Are you playing a game? Being with Bangchan, is it to annoy Taeyong hyung or because you really want to get back with him?”

Taeri stilled, her forehead creased. Lucas’s jaw tightened.

“You don’t even know.” He said, Taeri shook her head.

“You don’t know even know what your plan is.” Lucas stated.

“It’s still too early to decide, Lucas.”

“Really? When will you decide on that? Right before a war starts? Do you need us to beat him up first?” Lucas offered in an impatient tone.

“Ya!” Taeri snapped, he let out a shaky breath.

“I’m not going to stop you, Taeri. I’m just worried. His timing is too uncanny.” He explained, Taeri shrugged and crossed her arms.

“You think I don’t know that? I’m not blind.” She replied before taking a sip from her coffee, Lucas bit the insides of his cheek.

“Will you promise me that you’re going to be careful?” He asked her, Taeri let out a small chuckle and clinked her can with his.

“That much I can do for you.” She replied, Lucas nodded, he picked up his backpack.

“I have to get to class.” He stated before leaning his forehead against hers briefly.

“You be careful.” Lucas murmured before pulling away.

Taeri nodded back and watched as the male left.

“A plan?” She asked as she looked at Lucas’s untouched coffee.

 

“It’s confusing. But it has to be done.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++