042

Of Secrets and Broken Promises

“This seems important.” Taeri said as they walked towards the pool, she plopped down on a lounge chair. Lucas smiled and sat down across her.

“Is something wrong? Did Taeyong oppa threaten you?” She mused.

“No, but, this is about a threat.” Lucas said quietly, Taeri noticed how his forehead creased.

“Hey, you can tell me anything.” She grew worried, he looked up and met her gaze.

“It’s about Jo Jinhyuk, Tee.”

Taeri grew quiet, she looked around them, she could see the silhouttes of the guards meters away from them.

“Did we finally….find out who he is?” She asked carefully.

“He—He used to work for my family.”

“In Hong Kong?” Taeri stood up, he could sense his distress, she sat down beside him.

“Yes, then my father found out that he was stealing from us to finance his drug dens. Things got pretty worse that the police got involved. My father was livid.” He spoke, Taeri placed her tiny palm over his, Lucas smiled and laced their fingers together.

“In the end, we did get him, but…but he used the law against it. He threatened to expose us, so we let him go.”

“I—I don’t understand, Wong. Why me?” She said, Lucas bit hi lip and faced her.

“When you first got to Hong Kong, Taeyong hyung called my father, he asked…if he could watch over you, you know, extra security.”

Taeri nodded, her eyes were on the still pool water before them.

“I guess that was when Jo Jinhyuk started to see the connection, and then when you got here, I was assigned to…check on you a lot. You were always seen with me.”

“So, he’s doing this for revenge?” Taeri spoke.

“Yes. My family shut down all his operations, he probably runs a small bar somewhere now, but he has connections, Tee.”

Taeri grew quiet, Lucas sighed and faced her.

“Taeri, I know this is a lot. And, if it weren’t for my family this wouldn’t have to happen to you.”

“Lucas, I don’t~”

“Taeri, he’s after you because he wants revenge me and my family, so this is my~”

“Stop.” Taeri pulled her hand away from his, she sighed before cupping his cheek.

“It’s not your fault he’s after me. Withor without meeting you, I’d still be a target for being a Lee. Just so happens now, I have you. Which makes things better for me, you know.” She smiled at him, Lucas just looked away from her.

“Tee, you don’t understand, being with me~”

“I wont take that crap, Wong. What do you want to happen? We let that Jo Jinhyuk guy scare us and we separate? How do you know he’s in Hong Kong?” She spoke to him, Lucas looked at her.

“I was actually thinking of taking you to Hong Kong with me. Not separating. Nope.” He said, Taeri grew amused.

“I’m going to be fine staying here, Wong. He cannot hurt me, not with you around.” She explained, Lucas exhaled before leaning over to press his forehead against hers.

“So, stop blaming yourself. It’s fine, I know I’m safe.” She said before kissing his nose.

 

 

“This is what we do,” Johnny started, Taeyong leaned back on his seat.

“We lay low for a while, no mafia movements for the time being, but,”

Bangchan’s face flashed on the screen, Taeyong’s eyes narrowed on the photo and his fists curled.

“We are still searching for this guy.” Johnny chirped.

“He wouldn’t dare pop up at school, right?” Mark chuckled, Jungwoo grinned and picked up his soda.

“Wouldn’t that be better? It’s easier for us to grab him and toss him in a cement mixer.” Lucas nodded along, the others blinked at him.

“What is it with you and the cement mixer?” Doyoung muttered, Yuta laughed.

Then the doors suddenly opened, Taeri was smiling as she pointed towards the male beside her.

“Kun ge is here!” She beamed, Kun chuckled and mussed the girl’s hair.

“I hear you guys needed help, quite a shocker really.” He said with a grin, the guys stood up to greet him.

Taeri looked at the screen briefly and she took the seat beside Lucas.

“You’re late.” Jungwoo commented.

“I just didn’t feel like being in the mafia today.” She shrugged, Lucas smiled and took her hand in his.

“So, about this guy, Jo Jinhyuk.” Kun started to speak.

“I’ve had men search for him, but I found out something surprising.” He said as he took out some papers from his duffel.

“What is it, gege? Is he surprisingly of short stature? He looks like he could be under one hundred sixty centimeters to me.” Taeri’s comment was dry.

Jaehyun laughed but gestured for her to make room for Kun.

“No, but he was last seen at Hong Kong, he’s been off the grid ever since.”

“And, some reports say hew as seen riding off to Macau. That’s all I have.” Kun said as he sat down.

“He’s good then. At hiding.” Yuta leaned against the table, Kun’s eyes went to the screen.

“Oh, is he dead already?” He spoke, Lucas smiled at the older male.

“We’re on the same page on that, ge.” The tall male gave him an approving look.

“We’re working on it, we should talk about the recent movements within the black market.” Taeyong started, Jungwoo, Mark and Lucas started to stand up.

“What?” Taeri blinked.

“This is the boring part, we should head to class, come on.” Jungwoo tugged on her sleeve, Taeri frowned.

“Have fun at school, Tee.” Kun blew her a kiss, she shuddered and left her seat. They watched as the four left the room, then Kun spoke again.

“If Lucas is hot on his tracks, then Jo Jinhyuk is considered a dead man.”

 

 

“How are you not stressed about the exam?” Jungwoo muttered as he stepped out of the lecture hall, Taeri grinned at him.

“I’ve always liked math.”

“She’s always been a weird one, huh?” Lucas nudged the other male, Taeri sent him a look.

“Can we eat at the cafeteria today? We’ve been eating out a lot lately.” She said as they reached the elevator, students moved away as they saw the three of them got inside the elevator.

“I guess we can, did Mark come to class today?” Jungwoo replied as the doors opened again, Lucas gestured for Taeri to go first.

“He did, but I guess oppa had some errands for him.” She replied as they walked towards the cafeteria.

“Do you think I should go for red or something else for the Jung party?”

“Don’t you always wear red?” Jungwoo commented.

“But I like red.” Lucas argued, Taeri walked towards their usual table.

“I should go for something bright, like a nice marine blue.” She stated as she set her bag down.

“You guy go first; I have a phone call to make.” Jungwoo said to them as he sat down, Lucas nodded and took her hand.

“Should I match my outfit with yours?” He said teasingly as they stood in line for food.

“Must we really match?” She groaned, Lucas chuckled and just gesture her to move forward.

“How are you feeling? You seem quiet.” Taeri commented, Lucas didn’t reply, he just leaned his chin on the crown of her head.

“I want to get the vegetable set.”

“So you can eat my beef set instead?” Lucas replied, she chuckled and leaned back on his chest.

“Should I?” She mused, then she felt Lucas tense behind her.

 

 

“Okay, I’ll call him as soon as we’re finished eating.” Jungwoo said, he put his phone down and looked up.

His eyes widened as he saw the group of males who had just walked in the cafeteria. Jungwoo stood up from his seat and walked to his friend.

“You’re pretty brazen to show up here.” Lucas commented as he pulled Taeri behind him, Jungwoo reached them and his forehead creased.

“You should be careful, we’re at school. Neutral ground.” Jisung smirked at him, Chan exhaled and looked away.

“I don’t think you should be letting Taeri parade around campus though, it’s a stupid move.” Minho commented, Jungwoo looked at them. There were only three District 9 members around, he glanced at Lucas. His fists were curled and his eyes were zeroed on Chan.

“Really? A stupid move?” Lucas repeated, Minho grinned at him.

“What now, rich boy? Want to pick a fi~” Minho was cut off when Lucas erpunched him, the male gasped for air. Before Jisung could react, Jungwoo grabbed him by the neck.

The whole cafeteria turned quiet.

“Right, a stupid move.” Lucas spat as he kicked Minho’s on the gut and pushed him against one of the benches.

Chan’s eyes widened as Lucas closed the gap between them in just two steps.

“Look at you, boldly showing your face around here.” Lucas hummed, Chan took a step back.

“You shouldn’t be saying this, I~” Chan was cut off when Lucas grabbed him by the collar and started lifting up, his feet left the floor and he started to panic.

“They asked me to finish what they started, how about we do it now?” Lucas chuckled heartily, Taeri bit her lip and looked around them.

“Lucas,” She walked towards him, Lucas’s jaw clenched and unclenched.

“Lucas, please.” Taeri said softly, she tugged on the sleeve of his jacket, his eyes went to her briefly then he dropped Bangchan on the floor.

“We’re eating out.” He said before stepping back, Taeri let out a breath before looking at Chan.

“Taeri, I was~”

“Don’t even think that I’m taking your side,” She said as Jungwoo let go of a choking Jisung.

 

“I will let them end you.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++