006

This Girl, That Girl

“So, how did it go?”

Hana looked up, Kai had strolled into her room with a box of donuts.

“Oddly, it went..well.” She said as she sat up, Kai plopped down across her.

“Huh?”

“I..I told him the truth. That I cannot…do anything about it. And he knows where I stand too.”

“Where?” Kai asked before taking a donut.

“Not marrying him. Duh.” She rolled her eyes, Kai chuckled.

“Well, I thought you changed your mind.”

“Don’t start.”

“You said it went well.” Kai mused.

“Yes it did, he’s actually…very easy to talk to, I didn’t expect that.” She murmured while chewing, not caring about manners in front of Kai.

“You not going to work today?” Kai asked as he looked at the windows.

“I have to leave by eleven for a meeting in Suwon, I’ll probably back around three.”

“Yeobo, are you okay?” Kai asked meaningfully.

Hana looked at her hands.

“I don’t know, I mean, I get that this is serious. This is the real deal, they want me to marry that guy.”

Kai nodded.

“Mark says that he can stop this from happening, but…I don’t think it’ll be easy.” She bit her lip.

“I know where you’re coming from, Hana. But, you being a woman and next president of Samsung is a different issue~”

“Kai, if I do something to sabotage this arrangement, it will make me appear petty and childish.”

Kai looked away.

“That’s why I told him that I can’t help. I can only support him.”

“Well, I wish him luck.” Kai murmured.

 

 

Mark slid the green icon on his phone just as he step out of the meeting.

“Should I wear a dress?” Seolah’s worried voice made him smile.

“Wear whatever you’re comfortable in.” Mark replied.

“Still, it’s your parents.” She sighed, Mark chuckled as he walked towards his office, he nodded at Jackson as he found his friend waiting inside.

“I’ll come by and pick you up at around six?” Mark asked as he plopped down on his chair.

“Yeah, that sounds okay. Are you sure I don’t need to wear a dress?” She asked again, Mark smiled.

“It’s fine, Seol. It’s just my parents.”

Jackson looked up, confused. Mark set his phone down and loosened his tie.

“Are you crazy?” He blurted, Mark glanced at him.

“What?”

“You’re still pushing on that dinner? Even after the official announcement?”

“Jackson, I have to let them now where I stand on this. And, I can’t let this happen.” Mark stated, Jackson shook his head.

I smell trouble.

From the moment I stepped on that reserved hall, I already did.” Mark shrugged.

So, how did it go? You said you met up with her.

Mark nodded.

She’s…something.

Something?

She did say she’s against the wedding, but she can’t do anything about it. And I understand where she’s coming from with that, she’s an only child.

Wow, a company as big as that, and yet she’s alone to handle it.

Mark nodded.

Wish you luck at the dinner later. You need it.” He said bluntly, Mark just stood up and they stepped out of his office.

Lunch is on me then.” Mark chuckled, Jackson just shook his head and watched as his friend walked to the elevator.

I don’t think there’s an escape, Tuanniepoo.

 

 

“Lena,” Hana sighed, her secretary rushed to her with a folder and a pen, she balanced her phone between her ear and shoulder before signing on the document.

“Well, that’s what we do, have each other’s backs.” She defended.

“But that doesn’t mean you should background check him, there’s no need. He seems…okay.”

“Of course, I know he is. He’s a sunbae from school.” Lena said flatly, Hana smiled before stepping into the lobby, she nodded as employees bowed when she passed by.

“He has a girlfriend.”

“I know, I know. That girlfriend is going to be my escape route.” She mused as she saw the black Rolls Royce approach her.

“But, from what I see, the family wont approve of her?”

“Wae? I was thinking she’s from a good family.” She murmured as she slid inside the vehicle, she nodded for the driver to start.

“Well, yeah, but not good enough.”

Hana felt her phone vibrate.

“Jin Construction Group.” Lena read.

“Oh, I’ve heard of them.” Hana nodded as she leaned back on the seat.

“Yeah, but the Tuans are oligarchs, Hana.”

Hana rolled her eyes.

“She’s not..chaebol enough.”

“Don’t.” She shuddered, Lena chuckled.

“Anway, I got a text. Lunch together tomorrow? Kai says he wants tonkatsu.”

“Sure. See you then, Mrs. Tuan.”

“Ya!”

Hana looked at the phone’s screen and blinked.

Mrs. Tuan?” She blinked before opening the message.

She puffed her cheeks, she was about to decline when a message from her mother arrived.

Don’t be rude and be at that dinner, darling. –Eomma

Hana groaned before speaking to her driver.

“Change of plans, ahjussi.”

“I had a feeling about that, agasshi.” He smiled knowingly, Hana just shook her head at him.

 

 

“Hey,” Mark nudged Seolah before lifting the clutch, she exhaled.

She looked at the huge house before them with brows knitted together, Mark switched off the engine of his Aston Martin and slid down from the vehicle.

Seolah slid down and followed him.

“They know we’re coming right?” She murmured as they walked towards the double front doors.

“Of course.” Mark grinned, the doors opened and they were met with a middle-aged man.

“Good evening, young master and miss Jin.” He greeted with warmth, Seolah smiled back.

“They’re already waiting in the dining hall.”

Mark nodded and took her hand, Seolah’s eyes wandered around as they crossed the wide halls and the wide living room.

They stepped in a brightly lit room, Seolah’s eyes went to the sixteen-seat dining table, and the two occupants on it. She tensed.

“Pa, ma,” Mark said as they approached the table, Seolah bit her lip ask Mark pulled the chair before her.

“This is Seol~”

“You planned this.” Mrs. Tuan spoke, Mark paused.

“Yeah, I did, before everything happened I told you I wanted to introduce her.”

Seolah glanced at the elders.

“Sit down.” Mr. Tuan spoke, Seolah sat down and Mark followed her.

“What are you trying to tell us?” He asked, Mark’s brows rose.

I have a girlfriend, you know that. And you arranged me with Hana.

Yes.” Mrs. Tuan replied, her eyes travelled to Seolah briefly. The girl tensed on her seat.

“Ma,” Mark sighed, then he noticed that there was another dining set prepared across him.

“I can’t let this happen. I wont marry her.”

“No, you will not let this family down.” Mrs. Tuan faced him.

“Ma, be reasonable, I brought her here so that you’d get to know her. We’ve been together for a year now.”

Mark saw his father shake his head and glanced at the extra dining set beside him.

“Are we expecting more guests?” Mark almost snapped.

“Hana. She’s coming.”

Mark’s eyes widened in disbelief.

Ma, why are you being like this? I love her.” Mark said, Mrs. Tuan shook her head.

“Mark, I should go.” Seolah said quietly.

“No, stay.” Mark said coldly, his eyes went to his mother.

“You’re right, miss Jin. You should leave.” Mrs. Tuan crossed her arms.

Seolah looked away.

“Pa,” Mark looked at his father.

“Don’t argue with your mother.” He said in Chinese.

“Mrs. Tuan, I’m sorry if I have offended~”

“No, why do you have to apologize? We’re leaving.” Mark grabbed her hand and stood up.

“She is not, and will never be good enough for this family.”

Mark paused, it was his father who had spoken.

 

So, end things while it’s still early. We’re expecting Hana in a few minutes.” He said before standing up and leaving the room.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++