Chapter 43: Call Me Maybe (Part 1)

101 Days of Super Generation

 

 

Call Me Maybe (Part 1)
SunSun Fluff (AU)

H e r r o A w k w a r d T u r t l e

gif credit @ myneighborsthinkimcrazy.tumblr.com

AN: 

Haha yes this multishot was inspired by the lyrics of Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe.

Cuz I'm lame.

I know this is a terrible comeback to a hiatus but I honestly hope you enjoy qq



(Sungmin's POV)

 

I was walking to my special spot that afternoon when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I realized that it was indeed a Sunday, and that only meant one thing. I pulled out my orange cellphone to see exactly what I expected to see- the caller ID read 'PaboTeukie'. He had called me, once again, despite the countless other times I had denied his invitations. My eyebrows furrowed and I hesitantly picked up.

"Hey hyung, do you know what daaaaaaaaaay it isssssss~?" Leeteuk's voice immediately filled my ears and I flinched. 

"Yes, I'm well aware." I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice, my steps slowing down as I walked to my destination.

"It's a Sunday, and you know what that means~" His singsongy voice blasted uncomfortably loud in my eardrum and I felt the need to beat him up.

"It's group date day." 

I was superbly irritated. He had to say what I had been reminded everyday for what seemed like years upon years on end, the day that all of my friends and their girlfriends and dates would spend with each other. Group dates. The thought made me shiver.

"Your point being...?" I snapped, finally losing my cool.

"Sosososo Heechul and I met this chick and we think that she'd be super cool for you and-"

"No, I'm not getting set up with a stranger." I said quickly, cutting him off. "You guys have terrible taste in women for me."

It was true. They had attempted to set me up with a woman with the mentality of a saesaeng fan once, she happened to not only have a criminal warrant but she had handcuffs in her bag. Good thing I ran before having to walk her home that evening. Ever since that day, my trust in Leeteuk (well, more like Heechul) in his tastes for women to pair with me were gone. I burned their opinions away, along with the piece of paper the lady had scribbled her number on. 

"Sungmin, it's been over 14 months since you've gone on a group date with the boys," Leeteuk said pointedly.

"Sheesh. It's not like you'd understand, you and Taeyeon are like peas in a pod, Siwon and Tiffany are inseperable. Heechul and Sica are... well... uh..." My voice trailed off. "It's not like... the single life is a bad life, you know. Well you wouldn't, its been like 3 years you've been dating."

That wasn't a complete lie. I could strut around in my underwear and nothing else around my apartment, not worry about fixing my hair everyday, and eating garlic and checking my breath was not on my list of concerns...

but it did get lonely.

"Gah, fine, have it your way then." Leeteuk said dismissively. I could detact a little disappointment in his voice. "But... you've been really depressed lately, you should really get back out there and back into the game."

"Hey hey, it's not like I've ever even had a meaningful relationship," I replied bluntly, accidentally bumping into a really attractive woman. She shot me an angry glance. "...so I don't think that counts as being in the game to begin with." I bowed to the woman, but she shook me off and walked away hastily, sinking my spirits.

There was a brief pause as Leeteuk breathed as if he was going to say something, but he hesitated.

"Listen, I'm busy right now, so I'm going to hang up," I said finally. 

Leeteuk released the breath he had been holding. I heard a faint giggling in the background from the voice I detected to be Taeyeon. Those lovebirds. 

"...uhm, I guess..." Leeteuk's voice trailed off once again. "...get into the game then. See ya."

I ended the call then and stopped walking, running a hand through my blonde hair. 

 

Never in my 23 years of existence had I experienced love. I had been on numerous, crash-and-fail dates throughout the years, but none of the relations developed into a relationship. I, Lee Sungmin, could barely keep eye contact with a woman, nevermind keeping relevant conversation without stuttering.

"You're not ugly, you know..." Heechul had once said. "I mean, I'd tap dat, hehe."

I rolled my eyes at the thought. What good were my 'looks' if I was too hesitant to even look at a woman in the eye? Also, I happened to have standards. 

I was an art student with a knack for poetry, but was currently employed in a boring office job. I hated it with a burning passion, and I felt stressed and depressed and tired from all the work I had to do. It wasn't the work I loved. And to top that off, I was alone, without anybody to relieve that stress from me and relax with me and make me happy.

As lame as it sounds, I had mixtapes and CDs burned of songs I had decided I'd give to my future girlfriend. I had bought on-sale couple items to save up for that special someone. I had even dyed my hair obnoxiously blonde, as I had read it was what was the 'trend' for taken men in Seoul.

To be frank... I was trying. Perhaps a little pathetically hard.

I sighed and continued walking towards my special spot, the one I had frequented ever since my lonely Sundays on group date days had began.

There was a well by the park near my apartment. It had three tiers to it, the bottom tier on the ground, the next elevated almost 5 feet off the ground, and the next a whopping 12 feet off of the ground. It was rumored that if one had the ability to throw or flip a coin into the 3rd tier, they would find true love within seconds. 

I used to be a skeptic, but hey. 14 months was a long time without even talking to women.

With a huff, I finally stopped in front of the well. There weren't many people around despite the fact it was a Sunday, and that was something I enjoyed thoroughly. I looked around suspiciously, and brought out a rather full bag of 500 won coins.

"Well, here goes nothing."

 

I began flipping coins upwards towards the tier. To no avail, as I had predicted. 28 coins later, I had landed 14 on the second tier, 5 on the ground, and 9 on the bottom tier. I had become so stiff and focused my eyes were glued completely on the 3rd tier, and my neck seemed stuck in place.

"Why is this so damn difficult..." I mumbled, getting frustrated. I reeled back my arm for another throw I almost felt confident I would fail, and then

she caught my eye.

 

She was short. That was the first thing I noticed. But after that, I saw her beautiful porcelain face, filled with concentration. She had small yet bright eyes and a pair of cherry red lips, a slender neck, and a bob of blonde hair brighter than sunshine. She wore a simple off shoulder sweater and ripped jeans, her milky skin showing beneath. She sat upon the bench across the well from me, a sketchpad in one hand a mechanical pencil in the other. She was absentmindedly watching the page, and she didn't seem to notice my presence.

Oh, but did I notice hers.

-Splash-

I snapped out of my trance and looked up, seeing the large splash of water on the 3rd tier of the fountain shoot up.

"...oh my god..." I said outloud, unintentionally.

My eyes landed straight back on the girl sitting across from me, who had been splashed with the water from the coin that had hit its mark. Murky brown water had splashed directly on her white offshoulder, and her eyes widened in surprise.

"Yah!" She cried, leaning back into her bench with an undeniably cute expression of frustration.

My breath caught. 

 

Do something, Sungmin. Dooooo something.

 

UGH ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE GO AWAY, INNER THOUGHTS.

 

You know what they say about the coin hitting the 3rd tier~

 

THATS JUST A LEGEND. ALSO, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TALK TO THAT GIRL. SHE PROBABLY HATES ME.

 

She doesn't know you're here.

Ugh. Maybe it's better if it stays that way.

 

...don't you want someone to give those mixtapes to? Someone to share that couple gear with? Someone to brighten your day, and you brighten theirs in return?

 

The last thought shook me up. I did want that.

I shook my head and snapped back into reality, realizing that the girl was standing up and packing her sketchbook. Her small hands rubbed away ferociously at the stain on her sweater, to no avail. She pouted disappointedy.

That pout made me do either the smartest thing I'd ever done, as well as the most reckless thing I had ever done.

 

I found myself running towards her awkwardly, dropping the bag of coins in my hands.

"Hey!" I yelled. "Hey, you!"

She turned her beautiful head to the side and her chocolate brown eyes locked with mine. My breath was knocked away, but I found myself desperately trying to keep cool. I had never felt so pushed to talk to a woman in my life.

"...yes?" She replied, sounding unsure. Even her voice sounded like it came from an angel.

"I'm sorry, the splash on your sweater was my f-f-fault,"  I explained, cursing my partial stutter. "I flipped a c-coin and I guess the water g-got everywhere."

The girl nodded with a small motion as if she understood. I began to worry and I could feel my palms sweating profusely as I realized I had no idea what I wanted to do then.

"Oh, it's fine. I'll just get it drycleaned," She said in response, a small smile gracing her lips. 

My heart leapt out of its place and I began blabbing uncontrollably. Our eyes were still locked together.

"Uh... Uh, I'm really sorry that you have to pay to get that cleaned, so, uh..." My voice lingered off. I motioned to see her sketchbook that she was holding, and she raised her eyebrow in curiousity. 

She did, however, flip to a blank page and hand the book over to me.

My hands were shaking, but I managed to pull a pen out of my pocket and scribble my phone number on the page. I even wrote my name proceeding it.

The girl seemed to smile as if she was amused, but there was no going back now.

"Hey... uh..." My brain racked for explanation.

 

"Hey, uh... I just met you, and... well. This is kind of crazy. But here's my number... so ... call me maybe?"

 

The girl stared at me and broke into angelic laughter.

I wanted to drown myself in the fountain, I was so embarassed. Leeteuk would definitely be laughing his face off if he knew the situation I was in. I blushed ferociously.

"To uh- pay for your dry cleaning bill, of course-" I said, explaining quickly. "I mean, such a cost is getting expensive nowadays, and it's quite impractical to have to pay for a stranger's mistake in ruining your perfectly good clothing, and..." My voice trailed off. "...maybe, I could treat you to coffee too, if you'd like."

 

LEE. SUNG. MIN. WHERE THE HELL DID THOSE BALLS COME FROM.

I HAVE NO CLUE AAHHHHH WHAT DO I DO NOW NOOOOOOOOOO.

 

The girl was still laughing. I turned around to drown myself in the fountain when I felt a warm, soft hand on my shoulder. I spun around and was met with a tearful (I assume from laughing too hard) smile. Her eyes twinkled, and I found myself holding my breath once again.

"My name is Sunny," She - no, Sunny said. "Nice to meet you, Sungmin."

I was afraid I was going to melt so I stepped back from her hand. "Uh... nice... nice to meet you too... S-S-... Sunny." 

With a sweet smile she turned back around to gather her things.

 

"I need to get going," Sunny said, the smile still on her lips. 

"O-okay..." I blurted. "I-I guess I'll see you?"

 

Sunny walked away, and as she was almost out of my view, she turned around.

"Maybe."

 


qq i am so sorry that i am so lame but yea ;;;;;;; there it is