Chapter 37: As Per Usual (HaeFany)

101 Days of Super Generation

Missing Beat

HaeFany(Sica)

HerroAwkwardTurtle

 

---------

 

I lay on my bed, staring into my ceiling fan. My cellphone was pressed against my ear, but as per usual , he wasn't speaking... he was thinking. As what seemed like ages passed by, I silently stared into the darkness, and waited patiently. He was always thinking.

Of her.

"It's your 5 month celebration with her this Friday," I said finally, rolling over on my stomach.

"I know Fany, I know..." Donghae half-whispered on the other line. I could practically hear his smile through the phone. "Its been that long already..."

I laughed and sat up, leaning against the wall. My throat felt dry, but I just pushed it away. As per usual.

"Have you figured out what to get Sica yet?" I said distractedly, scratching my leg.

There was a pause. My chest felt heavy. I coughed to fill the silence.

"Honestly, I have no clue..." He admitted, sighing into the phone. I could hear him clicking away at his keyboard, probably Google searching 'what girls like' or something stupid like that.

"Well, I would've expected that you would know what Sica likes by now," I sighed.

"...me too, you know?" Donghae muttered. "But... you know she and I have pretty different taste in things. You and I have the exact same taste so I envy your understanding of her."

OF COURSE I KNOW, I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND, I wanted to say. But I bit my lip and listened to him tap away on the keyboard.

"Ah, what should I do... aishhh..." He said, quite exasperated. "What does Sica even like...?"

"You," I scoffed, feeling clever.

Donghae laughed, and I pressed the phone ever so closer to my ear, as I could almost feel his warm breath through the phone. I squeezed my eyes shut, cleared my throat, and regained my composure.

"...you're her bestfriend, come on Fany, help Oppa out!"  He chuckled.

And, as per usual,  it was time to play matchmaker.

"Sica's been looking at baseball caps lately," I informed him, giggling a little. "It's rather cute, seeing her try on all sorts of hats. I know her heart belongs to snapbacks though."

I could literally hear Donghae squal and fanboy over the phone.

"That sounds absolutely adorable. I can't. I must get her one." He exclaimed. "...but I have no taste in such hats."

I smiled a little and sighed. He was so helpless.

 

"Alright, alright. How about you and I go shopping for it tomorrow?" I said, my heart suddenly pounding in my throat.

"Oh god, you're such a lifesaver, Fany. Thank you, lets!" Donghae said. I could hear him bowing over the phone.

My throat caught a little, but I ignored it.

 

As per usual.

--

 

"That's a lot of hats." Donghae said in awe.

"...I agree." I whispered.

Hats. Hats everywhere. The walls were lined with them, front and back and sides, a multitude of colors.... thousands were there to choose from. It was a breathtaking sight.

"...how am I ever going to pick?" He cried in exasperation.

I rolled my eyes and began dragging him around.

 

We were there for hours. Every two steps Donghae would spot a ridiculous hat he swore was meant for Sica... but he wasn't kidding when he said he had horrible taste in hats. Among the monstrosities he picked out was a striped beret, a red sequined fedora, and a snakeskin cowboy hat.

"Aisssssh, what am I doing...?" He sighed, sitting down after hours of walking and leaning on the shelf behind him. "I'm so helpless."

Yet so adorable, that stupid voice in my head muttered.

I sighed and sat down next to him. Our bodies were so close. I found myself holding my breath... for what reason, I wasn't exactly sure, but my throat felt dry and my hands felt sweaty. 

I made the mistake of looking over at Donghae.

He had leaned back into the shelf behind us, his messy ebony hair pressed close against his face. His porcelain like skin gleamed under the lights above us, and his eyes were closed. His eyelashes were so long... so beautiful, it was ridiculous a guy posessed such beautiful eyelashes.

My breath caught and I looked away.

 

What the hell are you thinking, Tiffany? He's your bestfriend's boyfriend! I thought helplessly.

You're thinking what any other girl would think. 

...I can't keep doing this.

You can't? Then tell him.

Maybe I should...

 

"Oppa-" I said suddenly, without thinking. I was caught.

"What is it Fany...?" Donghae said, sitting up alertly.

I was trapped. I didn't know what to say. I desperately looked around for an excuse...

and then I spotted one on the shelf behind us.

"Do you see that purple New York snapback behind you? Sica would love it!" I mumbled desperately.

He turned around to see the hat I was pointing to, and a humongous smile spread over his face. He cradled the hat lovingly.

 

"This would look adorable on my beautiful Sica..." Donghae literally sang, holding the hat close. "Getting her this would definitely make her love me more."

"I doubt that's possible," I coughed sarcastically, trying to regain my apathetic composure.

Donghae peered over at me, with that huge... beautiful smile.

"You're a genius!" He laughed.

"...yes, yes I am," I laughed nervously.

 

I stared at the ceiling fan above us. It rotated rather pointlessly, but it did its job. There was no compromise, no change, it did its job, rotating in endless, pointless circles, at a steadfast pace.

I was like that ceiling fan.

 

Donghae stood up to go pay for the hat.

"I like the way you think, Fany. Scratch that, I like you! Thanks for being such a good friend!" He laughed.

 

When he was far away enough, I slumped back in the seat.

"I like you too..." I whispered to myself.

 

As per usual.

 

---

Sorry for the long hiatus guys omg a lot happened '-'