Chapter 33

"You Lost Now You're Mine"
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lecture went brilliantly in Jimin’s opinion. Jimin was impressed with many of the students that had attended class, they all paid attention and didn’t interrupt him or get distracted by their laptops or phones. Many of them asked questions too, especially the ten students that had been in the classroom at the beginning. By the end of class, there were still many students who hadn’t been able to ask their questions and Jimin felt bad for them.

“Class is almost ending and I’m sorry I wasn’t able to answer all your questions, but I’m willing to stay a while longer for anyone who’d like to stick around and ask,” Jimin said glancing towards Professor Kyung to make sure it was alright. Professor Kyung smiled at him and nodded indicating it was fine.

“But I’ve got a class right after this…” Jimin heard a student say.

“Oh...um how many of you have questions that also have a class after this?” Jimin asked and about a quarter of the room raised their hands.

“Hmm...how about this, I’ll write my email on the board, so you all can email me your questions. I’ll try to respond to them as quickly as I can but if I don’t respond within a couple of days feel free to email me again.” Jimin said as he wrote his email on the board and turned around to face the class again. He saw most of the students copying his email down which caused him to smile. He was happy that the lecture had gone so well.

“Alright then class dismissed for those of you who don’t have class after this and would like to speak with Mr. Park please wait outside in the hallway we’ll be there shortly.” Professor Kyung said and then he began to pack up his laptop and handed Jimin his USB.

“That was a wonderful lecture Jimin, it seems you’ve really gone far in your career.” Professor Kyung said with a proud smile.

“Thank you, professor. I have you and many others to thank for that.” Jimin said feeling overjoyed by the whole experience.

“You were capable of great things from the start Jimin, all we’ve done is guided you.” Professor Kyung stated and then started walking towards the exit and Jimin followed. Outside the lecture hall, there were about five students waiting for them, two boys and three girls. When they noticed the professor and Jimin walking towards them they all quieted down.

“Hmm, I thought there would be more students waiting.” Professor Kyung said as he took count of who’d stayed.

“There were a lot of students here but they all left one by one till it was just us five. I think they got worried that it would take to long since there were so many of us and decided to just send an email instead.” One of the boys said.

“Ah, I see. Well since it’s only you five, let’s head towards my office.” Professor Kyung suggested and they all nodded and began walking.

“So why don’t you five introduce yourselves to Mr. Park.” Professor Kyung suggested as they walked.

“Ok, I’m Lia.” The red-haired girl said.

“I’m Iseul and this is my twin brother Hwan.” The black haired girl said and the pointed to her brother who really did look similar to her. Hwan smiled and Jimin smiled back.

“I’m Jae.” The brown haired boy with glasses said.

“And I’m Nari.” The other black haired girl said.

“Nice to meet you all,” Jimin said to them as they came to a stop in front of Professor Kyung’s office.

“These five are the top of the class and are really hard-working.” Professor Kyung said as he opened the door to his office and ushered everyone inside. The office was small but it held them all comfortably. Professor Kyung pulled out some folding chairs and handed them to his students who thanked him and took a seat around the room.

“Alright now that everyone is settled let’s hear your questions.” Professor Kyung said placing his hands under his chin and eyeing his students critically.

The students began asking their questions one by one and Jimin did his best to answer them. Some of the questions were really in depth and he didn’t have an answer so he told them to email him the question so he could look into it and get back to them.

“Ok so Mr. Park, you mentioned that memory is reconstructive so how do we know what we remember is actually accurate?” Iseul asked.

“Well, first answer me this. What is memory?” Jimin asked.

“Uh…” Iseul looked confused as she tried to come up with an answer.

“Isn’t it just...um...like a picture in our head about some event?” Nari asked.

“No, that’s can’t be all it is. Because then how would we have memories about other things? Like math equations? I don’t have a picture in my head for math equations I just remember it.” Jae said.

“But is remembering math equations even considered memory?” asked Lia.

“It should be...or is it just considered learning? Is learning a part of memory?” Hwan asked.

“Well, you need memory to learn, don’t you? So it should be...right, Mr. Park?” Nari asked directing her attention to Jimin who smiled and nodded.

“Professor, how much have you taught them about memory?” Jimin asked Professor Kyung who was observing them all with interest.

“We haven't talked about it, it’s actually next week's topic.” Professor Kyung said.

“Oh, do you mind if I try to explain it to them right now?” Jimin asked he didn’t want to disrupt Professor Kyung’s lesson plans by explaining things to them differently.

“I don’t mind.” Professor Kyung answered encouraging Jimin to explain it to them.

“Alright, so there are many different aspects to memory. We could get really specific or be broad. Most people will categorize memory into two distinct categories, I’m sure you have heard of long term and short term memory. Do you know the difference?” Jimin asked.

“Long term is memories that last a lifetime while short is memories that last a few seconds,” Jae said.

“Yes, that’s usually how it’s described. But I’m going to a bit more specific. I think of memory in terms of three categories. Short term, long term, and long lasting memories. Short term lasts from seconds to hours. Long term lasts hours to months, and long lasting lasts months to a lifetime. Now underneath long term and long lasting, there are two types of memories. Implicit and explicit. Implicit is unconscious and explicit is conscious memory. Implicit is memory for skills and tasks which we term to be procedural memory. Like learning to ride a bike would fall under this category. Any type of skill learning falls under this category.” Jimin paused to let them digest the information.

“Now explicit memory is memory for facts and events, and we call that declarative memory. Furthermore, we divide declarative memory into episodic and semanti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter