046

Brave And Fearless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
046     

Kang Raena

When I had reached my office desk, in replacement of the coffee that was usually on my table by Yi Jung, was replaced by a box of chocolates with the yellow post it note.

Royce chocolate for helping me out yesterday.

-Jung

I opened the box of chocolates, but Yi Jung was nowhere in sight. The doctors said that he had went off to check on his patient in the emergency ward, apparently her heartbeat was slowing down so he had to rush off first.

The vibration in my pocket excited me, thinking that it was the usual dumb Jung, a nickname that I had created a while back.

From: Unknown

Don’t you wonder about the people close to you?

Sent on: 8.35am

This time, the number was different. All the previous messages that were sent by an unsaved number, was in another chat box, this was a whole new chat box, and so it meant that it was sent by a new number. The number used for the other chat box led to nothing, I had asked for the checks to be done but it was just another burner number.

From: Unknown

Locker 45, the key is in the mug.

Sent on: 8.36am

Mug? I took a look at my table, there was a mug, and it was the mug that I had used to put my stationeries. I poured out the contents hurriedly, why was there another person harassing me now? Was it the same person? If it was the same person, then he would’ve used the same number. Did he have an accomplice? Which was why there are two now?

There stood a small key, meant for lockers. The hospital had lockers for the family members to keep their items when they are staying over and I’m sure the unknown had meant those lockers. I took the keys and rushed down the steps, heading to the lockers that were situated at the receptionist counter area. I looked and scanned through the hundreds of lockers.

40, I’m close.

41 42 43 44 45

I stood in front of the grey locker, almost afraid of what was going to be in it. For all I knew, it could be a trap.

I slot the key in and turned it, an audible click was heard before the locker door swing open. In the locker, sat a manila envelope. I shakily took it out and closed the locker door, again.

“Doctor Kang!” A nurse called out to me. I kicked myself out of the trance and held the envelope behind my back.

“What are you doing there?”

“Ah, I just needed to check something.” She gave me a weird look but nonetheless pass me a new folder.

“Your rounds for today.” I thanked her and shoved the manila envelope in between the files, and headed up to the patients’ level, I decided that I wouldn’t let whatever was in the envelope, ruin my focus so I wouldn’t open it now.

I went and did my rounds, after checking on 5 patients, I walked towards my 6th patient’s room. Yi Jung came out from the room next to the 5th patient’s and saw me.

“Hey, did you see the box on your table?” He winked.

“Yes I did, that isn’t enough of a thank you, you cheapskate.” I teased.

“Hey! I paid for our meal, last night too, girlfriend.” He whispered the last word as I choked on my saliva.

“People are staring, get going before we get misunderstood.” I uttered under my breath.

“Gotcha!” He laughed and walked away, carefree.

Yi Jung had always been a carefree lad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter