A Fool Waiting

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Na Na's POV

I stared at the dinosaur stuffed animal in annoyance.

"What are you trying to do? Why did I have to find you out of nowhere?" I asked the stuffed toy. I tried to take my mind off of Jonghyun by unpacking my shipped boxes from the States, and this thing just fell out from nowhere.

"Don't you know I've forgotten all about you?" I threw by pillow at it, causing the toy to fall from the edge of my bed. I sighed and rolled around my bed until I heard a gentle knock.

"Can I come in?" Jonghyun asked and then poked his head in, earning him a glare.

"Why did you ask if you were going to come in anyways?" I snapped, and Jonghyun chuckled nervously.

"You still have this?" Jonghyun laughed and reached for it, but I picked the animal up and threw it at the corner of the room.

"What is it?" I sighed and crossed my arms.

"You haven't showed up to work. And you also haven't been eating."

"I have been eating. Just not with you." I huffed, turning Jonghyun's solicitous face into an angry one.

"Why are you so angry? What did I do that was so wrong?" Jonghyun asked, staring intently in my eyes.

"What do you mean? You kissed me! While I was dating Khun! Do you see this?" I asked and showed him my phone, full of a few dozen texts and voicemails from Khun, which I have not found the decency to answer.

"It's just a kiss." Jonghyun quoted with a smug look on his face.

"Yeah, it's only just a kiss when it's with Khun but when it's with-" I stopped myself when I heard what I was actually saying. I only looked away, hoping Jonghyun wasn't smart enough to figure out.

"Continue, what is it like to kiss me?" Jonghyun smirked and raised his eyebrow.

"You stink!" I quickly retorted but Jonghyun just smiled and pinned me down.

"If you won't tell me, I guess I'll just have to-"

"AISH!" I pushed him hard, causing him to fall off from the bed.

"Yah!" Jonghyun hissed from the ground.

"Just go away!"

"Why are you really acting like this? Ah, I know. You still love me." Jonghyun confidently stated, while I just scoff.

"Ani! Ani, ani, ani! NO! Never!" I shook my head, and then grabbed the pillow to try to muffle out what Jonghyun's saying. I saw Jonghyun get up to take the pillow away from me.

"You're acting like a child."

"That's right! I am! Now leave!"

"I'm not leaving you. Ever." Jonghyun's face turned more serious than ever.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means I want you back." Jonghyun admitted the words I didn't want to hear but have waited for such a long time. I only stared because I couldn't decide whether I wanted to hear it.

"No you don't." I looked away, causing a long pause between us.

"I do. I do so much. I hate seeing you with Nichkhun."

"Well isn't that too bad. I am dating him."

"You're only with him because of me. I was a jerk."

"I'm glad you know."

"Then am I forgiven?" Jonghyun put his hands on my back and gently caressed it. I quickly pulled my hand away and avoided all eye contact.

"Have all we've been through count for nothing? We tried so hard to be together with everyone trying to break us up. But nothing is in our way now except the two of us." Jonghyun sighed, causing my temper to soften up a bit at all the memories. But thinking back at us made me realize-

"I don't think the problems with us were because of other people. It was always just us. It's always been us." I thought out loud. I finally looked at Jonghyun, but I quickly looked away when seeing the glare he had on his face.

"And why is that?" Jonghyun huffed angrily.

"We're different, Jonghyun. We've always been different. Everything that has happen is just the universe telling us we shouldn't be together."

"Why do you always say that? What makes us so different? If we can’t be together because we're different, then what makes you and Nichkhun the same? Money doesn't-"

"That's not what I'm talking about. It's part of it. But it's not the fact that you seem to come from a different world that bothers me so much. Coming back after 2 years, I see that perhaps we're just not right for each other. You need someone who can always be by your side. Someone who could love you with all the time in the world."

"And you can't do that for me?" Jonghyun's face reddening a little. I could tell he was obviously holding back the tears.

"It's not that I don't love you. It's just-I'm not exactly the submissive type. I need someone who understands that." I tried to lighten the mood, chuckling a bit.

"I'm not asking you to be chained to me. We don't have to always be together to love each other."

"Do you really believe that? I left and came back, but-"

"My feelings haven’t changed ever since you've left and came back. I would like it if you were to always be by my side. But I wouldn't mind it if you weren't as long as you come back to me."

"Would that be enough for you?" I couldn't help but smile and look at him.

"You're all that I need. I'm okay with whatever you want as long as I can hold you and call you mine again." Jonghyun pulled me into a hug and nuzzled in my neck.

"Do you think they made up?"

"Shh!"

"Sheesh, I'm just asking."

"We can hear you guys." Jonghyun pulled away from me and rolled his eyes.

"I have pizza to celebrate." Key sang from outside the door, causing snickers from a few other.

                                                                                          

Jonghyun's POV

I went out to the living room with a smile on my face and my Na Na in snuggly in my embrace. I tighten my grasp on my waist and smelled her hair. But much to my dismay, Na Na pulled away.

"You and Haejin-"

"I already broke up with her." I quickly assure to I could have her back in my arm. The doorbell then rang loudly, causing Onew to jump up the sofa and to the door.

"Minho is finally here!"

"When is he ever so excited for Minho?" Na Na asked when we sat down on the couch.

"Whenever Minho has the food." Key, Taemin and I replied at the same time. We were laughing at out responses but stopped when Onew couched a bit and averted out attention.

"Minho brought a guest." Onew said, causing Na Na to pull away from my arms. I turned and saw Nichkhun with a boutique of flower in hands and eyeing the room with curiosity. I knew Onew  was about to invite him in but Na Na got up and walked out with Nichkhun. Minho awkwardly walked in and closed the for them.

"Did you really bring Nichkhun?" Taemin asked curiously.

"No, we just met at the elevator. Not bothered though, Jonghyun?"

"Ani. I'm sure Na Na knows what she's doing." I smiled. The fact that we just made up had me a lot less jealous than usual.

"I bet my new Cartier watch that Na Na will finally  have that ring by the end of the year." Minho declared. I rolled my eyes but smiled at the thought of us married.


"I bet my summer vacation house they'd already be married." Key laughed.

                                                                                 

Nichkhun's POV

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're breaking up with me?" I placed the flowers beside me on the bench and looked up into the sky.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I knew it was bound to come. I just didn't think it'd be so soon. I just thought I would have more time with you."

"It's not like we're saying goodbye. We're friends."

"No were not. We're exes. And that fact is much more distinct when we both know your Jonghyun's." I sighed and bit my lips. I was angry. Angry that I'm always just one step behind. Angry that I'm always going to be second when it comes to Na Na.

"They always say first love comes back, but that just doesn't seem to be the case for us, is it?" I chuckled.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine Na Na." I sighed again.

"A-are you angry?"

"Of course I am." I finally admitted.

"I'm sor-"

"Do you have any idea how frustrating it is? I try so hard to have you look at me the same again. I try so hard to have you laugh as you did with me. I try so, so, so hard to have you feel the same way as you did-the same way I still do. And I'm just so frustrated at the fact that it's always Jonghyun." I huffed, getting everything off my chest.

"I didn't plan for any of it to go this way." Na Na whispered. I knew she felt bad and as much as I wanted to smile and tell her it's okay, I'm just so...so... frustrated.

"But it's how it ended up. I regret so, so much letting you go. And it's frustrating how that one mistake is the one I couldn't take back. Yet-yet, Jonghyun has made so many. But you guys still somehow find a way back. I hate seeing how hurt you get because of how. I know I could do so much better. But I also know you would never cry as much for me as you do for him."

"That's not true." Na Na placed her hand on my shoulder, not lessening the pain in my chest any bit.

"Yes it is. And as much as you're never going to say it, it's always going to be him. I'm only going to be the backup that you're just waiting to throw away. As much as I want to pretend like I'm okay with it, it just gets enough. I don't know who I'm kidding. I've been so stupid just waiting for you, thinking you might one day come to me." I stood up and looked away. Maybe I was being harsh, but my common sense is drowned away by all the pain right now. I let out another sigh and kicked the flowers beside the bench and stormed off. I can hear Na Na trying to talk to me and catch up, but I was already running away.