Further Than I Thought You Were

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Na Na's POV

I took a deep breath and took  a look in the mirror once again to make sure my hair, dress, shoes and makeup was in place. I was instructed by Key to not touch anything, do anything, or even move if it meant it'd ruin 'his hard work'.

"You look so beautiful." my mom went behind my and pat my shoulders.

"Gomowa. It's-I really do look different." I smiled and was about to kiss her on the cheek but she held be back.

"Let's not waste Key's hard work." my mom tsked, reminding me so much of Key. I heard the doorbell and made my way to the  door, and opened it for Jonghyun.

"Stunning. You are beautiful. " Jonghyun sighed and smiled brightly at me.

"Gomowa. I don't feel beautiful. The heels are too high, the dress is too long, people will be watching, and if I fall-"

"I'll be holding you the entire night." Jonghyun offered his hand, waiting for me to take. I smiled and shook the nervous feeling. I feel exactly the same as the last time I went to one of those fancy, high class party, except this time, Jonghyun's my date.

"Happy birthday, Jonghyun." I remembered as I went inside the car.

"Mmm. Where's my gift?" Jonghyun raised his eyebrows and asked me.

"Oh, I forgot it in the house. Let me-"

"Ani. Give it to me later. I'll just take this for collateral." Jonghyun leaned in and pecked my lips.

"Ooo, you have lipstick." I giggled when Jonghyun pulled away. I used my hand and wiped away the pink stuff on his lips.

"You know, I prefer you without makeup, but if you'd be touching me like time we kiss-" Jonghyun teased and leaned in again. I laughed and give him a quick kiss before pulling away and wiping the pink lipstick again.

"Is your mom going to be at the party?" I asked Jonghyun with a nervous tone.

"Don't worry about her. It's my birthday. She won't do anything." Jonghyun assured and held my hand tightly

The car stopped and I looked out the window. I guess we have arrived at what might be Jonghyun's parent's home.

"Jonghyun!" a voice called, causing both me and Jonghyun to turn.

"Yes?" Jonghyun replied when a lady with a big phone headset came and pull Jonghyun away.

"Your mother is looking for you. Let's go. Come on, you know how she is when she's home. She's threatening to fire me if I don't go and get you." the lady told him as they left.

"Wait,  I have-" Jonghyun was pulled away before he had another say. I pouted when I realized I was all alone. Guess I can't really blame him… I would rather walk in alone than with Jonghyun, whose eyes are all on him today. I looked around and blinked a few times in wonder. Rich people… this doesn't even look like a birthday party. There's photographer and even security people. I made my way to the door but someone stopped me.   

"Invitation?" the guy asked sternly.

"I don't-"

"Then I need you to leave."

"I'm Jonghyun's girlfriend."

"Yes and I'm married to Song Hye Kyo. Let me give you an advice, a guy like Jonghyun isn't one that'll be that easy to get so stop dreaming…delusional girls… get in line."

"She's with me." someone said as I felt an unfamiliar arm around me. I was expecting Minho, Onew, Key or Taemin but I turned to see Joon. The guy sighed but let us in.

"Thanks Joon."

"Anything for a pretty girl." Joon smiled and walked me in.

"I like your new hair." I complemented his new wavy brown hair.

"Yeah... I didn't really like the idea of being in a 'yellow mushroom family' with  Taemin."

"Why not?" a childish voice came behind us.

"Aish… you scared me." Joon tsked at Taemin.

"Annyeong hyung! How's college?"

"Better than high school." Joon simply replied.

"Yah, I suggest you put that hand back to where it belongs unless you want it off." Jonghyun's familiar and protective voice smacked Joon's hand away from my shoulder.

"So violent…" Joon frowned at Jonghyun but he simply huffed arrogantly with his arms around my waist.

"Mianh, baby. I didn't mean to leave you." Jonghyun kissed the crook of my neck.

"Ungggg." Joon and Taemin groaned as they walked in the other direction, away from us.

"Well, they finally left. Dance?"

"Nobody's dancing." I argued but Jonghyun intertwined one of our hands, put his other hand around my waist and held me tightly.

"Best birthday ever." Jonghyun whispered in my ears.


"You're good at this-whispering sweet nothings… your party hasn't even started yet."

"But you're here. For the first time, I'm glad to be here. Next to my beautiful girlfriend, even if it means it's with all these other people."

"Jonghyun. Mother's freaking out. Let's go. Dinner's about to start. Oh hi, Na Na!" Hyun Joong greeted me with a warm smile.

"Annyeong." I bowed slightly.

"Why's she freaking out? It's my birthday, not hers."

"Grandmother's here." Hyun Joong sighed quietly.

"Deh? When? Isn't she in Italy with philanthropy-whatever?"

"Do you even know what philanthropy is? It's not a person, idiot. Come on. We have to greet her."

"Arraso. Na Na-"

"Ani. Na Na, trust me when I say it's better for you to not come." Hyun Joong advised and I nodded.

"But-" Jonghyun was cut off once again when Hyun Joong pulled him away. Once again… I was left alone.

I eventually found my way with Key, Minho, Onew, Taemin and Joon. It seems like Key and Joon doesn't get along very well.

"You know, every time you talk, you remind me of a cat screeching!" Joon began, causing Key to huff and laugh in disbelief.

"You just don't like me because I took your best friend. I didn't think you're capible of jealousy with such a small brain.." Key retorted while Joon scoff and rolled his eyes.

"Alright girls, stop. Dinner is starting." Minho sighed and pushed the two towards the dinning table.

"Let's go noona." Taemin pulled me along and put me into the seat beside him. The whole time, I thought Jonghyun would come, but I saw Jonghyun sitting in a different table-with his family. I wouldn't have been bothered, but I saw Krystal there too. From the looks of here, they seemed happy. Krystal and Jonghyun smiled and held up their glass of drinks along with the other people at the table. I was never a girl who envied others, but in this case… is it weird that I do?

"Na Na!"

"Khun?" I asked, a little shock to see him. I stood up and smiled at him.

"Wah, you look amazing." Khun gave me a twirl.

"Ahh, gomowa. Why are you here? Do you have some unknown friendship I don't know about with Jonghyun?"

"Ani. Rich people tend to invite other rich people… even if you don't know them well." Khun explained.

"Yah, Nichkhun-"

"Oh, Na Na, this is Junho. Junho. This is Na Na." Khun introduced.

"Annyeong, I've heard all about you-" I stopped myself when I realized how I shouldn't have mentioned that.

"I hope it's good things… I didn't know Nichkhun had a special friend." Junho nudged Khun.

"Stop. You go back to Wooyoung. I'm going to sit with Na Na. It's not taken right, Na Na?"

"Ani." I smiled and Junho waved in a weird way before disappearing.

"AHEM!!!" Key coughed in a really loud way, making the both of us turn.

"Stop." Onew hissed and we heard a loud kick.

"Ahh! It's like you ask for a lawsuit every time we see each other! I could have choked! Aish… So, you are?"

"I'm Nichkhun." Khun smiled and shook all of their hands one by one.

Dinner progressed with Khun and Minho getting along swimmingly, but Key seemed to e glaring every now and then with unexpected comments. Onew, Taemin went to look for more food, which then had Joon scoot closer to me.

"Annyeong!" Joon smiled.

"Annyeong…" I smiled at Joon.

"Don't be sad. You won't be happy there anyways. This table is more fun." Joon told me, while I just gave him a confused look. Joon pointed to the table of Jonghyun and Krystal and I chuckled…

"I know. It's not that I want to be there. It's just that I don't want Jonghyun to be… it makes me feel further away from him then ever."

"Don't worry. That feeling will die down."

"What feeling?"

"I'm sure it's not just the dinner table being far away. It's you and Jonghyun. You feel like you and Jonghyun are different."

"I usually don't feel that way. I don't know… being there though."

"It's the ugly effect of just being around these people. I swear… they can be vicious… "

"Hyung… can I have my seat?" Taemin nudged Joon.

"Just sit next to me, what's the big deal?"

"I want to sit next to noona." Taemin shook Joon lightly and wiggled around.

"Aish, I know you Taemin. You only do that baby thing when you want something." Joon shrugged Taemin's hands away.

"Hyung." Taemin whined, ending with Joon sighing in defeat, retreating back to his original seat.

A loud clink of a wine glass caught everyone's attention. We all turned to the lady that looked a lot like Jonghyun's mom, but a little older with a different hairstyle.

"I would just like to wish my grandson a happy birthday and thank everyone for attending his birthday party. Jonghyun has grown so much and I'm so-so happy to still be alive for another year to see him grow." Jonghyun's grandmother laughed a little. "Let's let the happy couple have their dance on Jonghyun's 19th birthday."

"Bowh-ah? It's Jonghyun's birthday… not Jonghyun's wedding." Key whispered quietly. I pouted when it was Jonghyun and Krystal dancing.

"She's always wanting Jonghyun married with Krystal… she knows she can't force Jonghyun to so this is her way of getting what she wants." Minho sighed.

"Well I'm going to go find someone to dance with." Joon stood up and left.

"Can I have this dance?" Khun then turned to me and asked.

"I-"

"Let's go, it'll take your mind off of… that." Khun smiled understandingly at me. Khun offered me with his hand which I hesitated but took anyways. It's not like Jonghyun would notice anything being so close to Krystal like that.

The night ended they way I expected-except without Jonghyun. I didn't see him at all and now he's no where in sight. Key offered to take me home and so did Minho, Onew and Taemin but I thought I should wait for Jonghyun. I sat outside as I waited but it seemed like no one was left here… maybe Jonghyun left with his family to somewhere.

"Come on, I'll take you home." a soft voice came from behind and told me.

"Gomowa." I got up and left with Khun. I'm guessing Khun was waiting for me. He was always taking care of me without my knowledge.

"Let's go get some ice cream!" I suggested when we got into his car. Khun thought for a while and smiled with a nod. Khun brought drove to used-to-be usual  ice cream place by the Han river and bought ice cream. I was about to sit down on the grass but he pulled me back and glared.

"Ae, you're going to get your pretty dress stained." Khun lectured and took off his jacket, then placing it on the grass.

"Then your jacket will get dirty."

"Just sit." Khun laughed and pushed me down. I smiled and took off my heels the second I sat down. I looked out at the river and took a spoon full of ice cream.

                                                                                        

Nichkhun's POV

I glanced over to Na Na and while she kept her eyes at the river, I kept mine on hers.

"How do you feel? Are you okay?" I broke the silence.

"Hmm?"

"Today… With Jonghyun."

"Today? I wasn’t with Jonghyun though. It's weird. I've never felt so far away from him."

"It's what happen when you're in a room full of rich people. It's only going to get worse."

"Funny… that's what Joon said." Na Na chuckled bitterly.

"That's because it's true." Why do you think I never told anyone about us…

"Bwoh?" Na Na widely opened her eyes. Did I say that out loud?

"Hmm?"

"What do you mean? Why do you think I never told anyone about us?"

"Nothing."

"Khun." Na Na said in a way I can't ignore. I sighed in defeat when I saw the look in her face.

"I didn't want you involved with...those people." I admitted.

"I though-I thought it was about your reputation and…"

"Yah, do you really believe I really cared about such things? Those things mean nothing. But you, you meant everything. I couldn't risk having you hurt. You're a strong girl Na Na, but you're still a girl."

"Why-why didn’t you ever tell me that was why?"

"You're a stubborn girl Na Na. Lying to you was better than having you involved with that…" I chuckled bitterly at the irony. "I could have gone after you when we broke up. The day after… the week after… the moment I realized you and Jonghyun were getting closer. But how could I? I thought that it would be better that we break up, and stay that way. Because-because that meant you'd never have to deal with those people. But if I knew that you would end up that way anyways-but with Jonghyun and not me. I would have never hesitated to show you off to the whole world."

"Khun…"

"But I didn't. and Jonghyun did. And that was my mistake. Like I said. I'll wait until Jonghyun makes a mistake so it'd be my turn again. Till then, I'm always going to be here for you. If we're really meant to be, then we'd find our way back. If not, all I can do is make sure you're happy as you are now, with Jonghyun. "

"You shouldn't always be here for me… you make me feel bad. You need to find someone else who'd make you happy too."

"Just being next to you makes me happier than any other girl ever can. But sadly, I'm not selfish enough to steal you away." I chuckled again. I love Na Na too much to do that. I wonder if Jonghyun would say the same if he was in my place.

                                                                                                                      

Jonghyun's POV

I excused myself from the family-only after party and made my way to Na Na's house. I knocked a few times but no answer. I loosened my tie and sighed with worry when I received no reply. I was about to make my way back to the party, hoping to find Na Na there but I saw a familiar car drove up. I squinted and felt a rush of déjà vu.

"I'll-I'm just going to go, Na Na. Bye." Nichkhun saw me and calmly gave Na Na a slight shook on the shoulders. My shoulders…

"Where were you?" Na Na asked me. I glared at her smiling face. You shouldn't be smiling!

"Where were you?" I asked her, mad at Na Na's cluelessness.

"I was with Khun." Na Na answered like it wasn't a big deal. Na Na opened the door and waited for me to come in. I went in and pulled her into a hug.

"What did you guys do?" I buried my face in her hair. Na Na didn't have any unfamiliar scent on her and smelled exactly like the perfume I had given her. Good.

"We ate ice cream."

"And?"

"And nothing…"

"Mianh… I didn't mean to leave you. I left as soon as I could. Can I have my birthday present now?" I pouted and asked. Na Na nodded and let out a small laugh. Na  Na held my hand and led me up to her room. Na Na placed me on her computer chair and grabbed my present from her drawer. Na Na bit her lips as her handed me the boxed present. I smiled brightly at her and opened it. I laughed loudly when I made out what was in her box.

"Is this underwear?" I asked and lifted one of them up… yep, definitely underwear-boxers to be exact. I laughed again.

"Is it weird? It's weird… But Onew said it's a normal thing to get for your boyfriend. I knew I shouldn't have listened to Onew." Na Na mumbled cutely. I made my way towards her and her red cheeks.

"Yes, it's weird. I've never gotten underwear from a girl before so I'm glad you're the first." I bend down and kissed her.

"Happy birthday." Na Na pulled away and told me again. I nodded and leaned in  again.

"Should I try on your gift?" I teased, earning a smack.

"Ani."

"Fine. But does this mean I can get you underwear for your-" I was interrupted with another smack. This time much harder.

Na Na and I made our way downstairs and watched TV. I saw a commercial and there were two couples dancing. I felt guilty all of the sudden and turned to Na Na.

 

"Mianh. I didn't want to dance with Krystal today. I wanted to dance with you but it was better to just go along with grandmother."

 

"Gwenchana. I danced with Khun if it makes you feel any better." Na Na smiled and turned to the TV again. I nodded calmly but then sat up straightly when I processed what she said.

 

"Ani. That doesn't make me feel better! You should only dance with me."

 

"Yah, stop. Like you said, you danced with Krystal. You're allowed to dance with other people?"

 

I pouted and stood up, pulling Na Na along with me.

 

"What are you doing now?"


"I never got to finish my dance tonight. And now, I'm going to have the last dance on my 19th birthday with the girl I love." I smiled cheekily and held her tight.

 

"Na Na." I called out in the middle of our dance.

 

"Mmm?"


"I love you. You know that right?"


"I know. You always tell me."


"You love me right?"

 

"Yes, I love you. What's wrong?" Na Na squinted her eyes at me. I chuckled at her cute suspicious expression.

 

"If you love me, can you make me some ramen? I'm hungry." I pleaded with raised eyebrow.