Learn From Onew and Be Happy

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Did you guys see the character chart-thingie i made in the foreword?

Not amazing...but presentable...especiallyfor a first-timer

                                                                                                            

Na Na's POV

I went downstairs and saw my mom, eating with a newspaper in front of her.

"You're home?" I asked her, since it's weird for her to be home, especially at this time.

"Yeah." my mom replied and put the newspaper away.

"What were you looking at?" I asked her and took a seat beside her.

"Nothing. Just-stocks."

"Stocks? You work in a law firm. Why are you looking at stocks?"

"Mm! Look at the time. I should get going!"

"Work?"

"Um… yeah. Work." my mom replied in a weird way.

"Arraso." I nodded and she kissed me on the forehead before going upstairs to get ready.

I made sure she was upstairs until I took a peek at the newspaper. But just as I lifted it, the doorbell rung. I sighed and went to the door, expecting Jonghyun-and of course finding Jonghyun.

"Hey, babe." Jonghyun kissed me and went inside. Jonghyun saw the food and took a seat beside me at the table.

"Hi, Jonghyun. I have to go but behave, arraso?" my mom waved and went out the door.

"Bye omoni." Jonghyun said before stuffing his mouth with rice.

I peeked out the window from my seat and saw the car drove away. I took the newspaper and examine it. Aha… she's not looking at stocks.

"What are you looking at?" Jonghyun asked after he swallowed his spoonful of food.

"The job section of a newspaper."

"A job? Baby, if you-"

"No, not me. My mom I think. She was looking at it…"

"Why is she looking at that? Didn't she just left for work?"

"That's what she said… She couldn't have lost her job…"

"Want me to find out?"

"Can you?" I asked eagerly, the first time being glad that I have a rich and powerful boyfriend.

"Anything for my Na Na." Jonghyun smiled and took his phone. Jonghyun asked for my mom's work place and then called someone.

"So?" I asked when Jonghyun put his phone away.

"Don't worry, she got a promotion, actually."

"Really?" I asked, excited for my mom.

"Yep! So maybe she was just on that page of the newspaper." Jonghyun assured and went back to the food. I nodded. Yeah.

                                                                                                

Key's POV

"AHHH!" Onew suddenly screamed, giving me a huge heart attack and earning looks. I did scream quite loud.

"YAH!" I smacked Onew with my hand a coupled of times, and then deciding he deserved a kick too. I tsked and then threw my backpack at him.

"Onew. You scared me." Minho sighed-but cool as a cucumber.

"April fools?" Onew smiled at me. I rolled my eyes and shoved him hard.

"You should shut it because I'm seriously contemplating a phone call to my lawyers and sue your ."

"For what?"

"For physiological distress!" I yelled at him and gave him another kick. Loser-dork-thing.

I walked into the school and left them for my locker. After getting my books, I started walking to my first period, but stopped when I heard a girl crying. I followed the should and peeked at the crying girl.

"V-Victoria?" I guessed when I see the familiar highlights.

"Key!" Victoria sobbed even louder. I walked towards her and sat beside her.

"What-what happened?" I asked her, but Victoria didn't answer until a long while

"I'm-I'm an idiot! I was-I wasn't thinking-and then-and then-I yelled-yelled!-at Krystal. I was so-so-so stupid! I don't know why I did that. Now everyone thinks I'm a joke!" Victoria said between sobs. I was kind of shocked-with her sobbing dramatically-and thought of ways to comfort her, finally deciding on a couple of pats on the back.

"I don't think you're a joke."

"But you're not a girl. You know, I was-I was going to the bathroom and then-and-then these girls just smirked at me! Me! It wasn't just any girls, they're in band! They play instruments for god sakes." Victoria said in a way even I found offensive. I play instruments...

"Why are they relevant? Like you said, aren't they in band?" I tried, hoping it'd make her feel better.

"That's what I thought. But-then-but-then, when I met up with Sulli and Luna-they-they scoffed at me! My friends! I asked them what's wrong-and-Luna-Luna showed me her phone-and-and-now my life is ruined!" Victoria cried, in a way too dramatic way for such small matters.

"What was in the phone?"

"It was when I was in New York… and...and I was-it was-after a party-and-and I drunk a lot. I was-I was singing in the streets."

"Is that so bad?"

"Maybe not, but-but I was dancing with a hobo." Victoria whispered the last part. I tried really-really hard not to laugh, but a snicker slipped out. Victoria glared at me and slapped my shoulders.

"I'm sorry, but I still don't think you're a joke."

"Yeah, but like I said-you're not a girl. You're not Khun either."

"I doubt Khun thinks you're a joke."

"But he might. Now-now-now-I'm that loser. I'm  going to be a loner for the rest of my life." Victoria sobbed again.

"Sweetie, trust me- there is a bigger world than high school. Stop being so dramatic. You're making big things out of nothing. You should be glad to lose your so called 'friends'. Forget them, and forget Krystal. Look, you can hang out with me and my friends."

"But-but, what about Na Na?"

"Na Na? What about Na Na?"

"You hang out with her, no? Doesn't she hate me?"

"Na Na doesn't hate you."

"But I broker her up with her boyfriend."

"She doesn't hate you. Now, now, let's get you to class." I smiled and led Victoria to our first period class.

                                                                                                        

Na Na's POV

I waved Jonghyun goodbye as he drove away. I walked into my home and found my mom there in the kitchen. I was quite confused as to why she was home…

"What happened at work? You're home so early… the law firm is usually busy."

"Um. I got a new job, actually."

"What? Why?" I asked in confusion… Jonghyun said mom had a promotion…

"It’s just, wasn't the job for me. I looked for a new job today, and I got it. It's a good job, but the pay is not as well-but it'll get better over time. "

"How bad is it?"

"We-we'd just have to do some adjusting. But we'd be fine."

"What can I do to help?"

"Nothing, sweetie. Just do as you are. You might have to get a job for some money for yourself though, because I won't be able to give you your allowance for the time being."

"Alright." I smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek. I don't mind getting a job, but I do mind her keeping something from me. I jumped on my bed and lied down. What to do? What to do? Even though we were never rich, we do fine-I had never had a job before… My duty was always just to keep my room clean, behave and school. I consider myself kind of spoiled, but I'm sure the girls at my school would laugh at that statement.

I went to the internet for some answers. Job Wanted… I skimmed and skimmed, but found nothing. I looked at the time and it was still early so I got my bag and left for the door.

"I'm going to go out." I told my mom. She nodded without lifting her head from her laptop.

I retrace steps from the school and looked for a job this way.

"AHHH!" a voice came out of nowhere, frightening me a little.

"Onew!"

"April fools! So, what are you doing?" Onew smiled brightly at me.

"I'm… looking for a job."

"Can I help?"

"Do you even know what a job is?"

"Of course! I am going to work too, you know."

"Yeah but people like me have to actually look for one."

"That's why I want to help."

"Arraso… Just look for some help wanted signs."

"What kind of job do you want?"

"I don't know… I kind of just got on the bus without a plan…"

"Does Jonghyun know?"

"Ani."

"You should tell him. I think he'd want to keep tabs on you."

"You make Jonghyun sound like he owns me."

"Well, Jonghyun wouldn't be happy to find you with a job because he kind of spends all his time with you."

"He isn’t today."

"Because Key took him to get his tux fitted. And Key had to drag him to that. Did Jonghyun ask you yet?"

"Ask what?"

"Jonghyun's birthday party, of course! It's coming up!"

"Ahh, now I really need a job. I need to get Jonghyun a gift."

"Well, I'm here to help. So, what about there?" Onew pointed to the café by the school.

"I would love to… but they're obviously not hiring."

"Well, you'd never know if you'd never try!" Onew suggested and dragged me in. Onew is definitely the happy go lucky, half full kind of guy.

I bowed and everyone just stared. Why was I bowing anyways? I straighten my posture and smiled. I looked to my right but Onew disappeared to the displays of cakes.

"Ex-excuse me, but-um, are you guys hiring?" I asked one of the waitress with the manager name tag. She frowned when she realized I wasn't a customer.

"We're not hiring." the waitress smiled-but in an unkind way. I bowed at her and she just left. I pouted and dragged Onew out.

"They're not hiring?"

"Ani…"

"Here, let me try."

"I doubt-" I was interrupted when Onew pulled me back into the shop. Onew told me to wait and he went towards the same waitress, but this time, she smiled as if she was offered a million dollars. Onew signaled me to come and I did.

"Oh. I thought you wanted a job." the waitress sighed at Onew.

"But you said you guys are hiring, no?"

"Yeah-that's-well-only because you're a guy. Yeah! We're looking for a waiter!" the waitress not-so-smoothly lied.

"Well, if I take the job, can you take Na Na too? We're kind of a package deal."

"We have a policy against co-workers dating."

"We're not dating." Onew and I said at the same time.

"Oh-is that so?" the waitress began twirling her hair. Policy against co-worker dating… right...

"So are we hired?"

"Onew, you don't have to-"

"Yes! I'll hire her if you work here too. Let's  start now."

"Now?" I asked, confused. Is she that eager to work with Onew? She doesn't even know our names.

"Yes, now. There are spared uniforms in the back. Go, we're busy right now so I can use the help." the waitress pushed us to the back. No resume, no nothing?

After changing, I went out the room and found Onew leaning against the wall, waiting for me. I must say, Onew pulled the uniform quite well. My uniform was some-what similar but Onew looked way better in it.

"You know you don't have to do this with me, right?"

"It'd be fun!"

"I don't think-alright Onew, you're right. It'd be fun." I decided to go along with his happy-go-lucky character and smiled.

We were given quick instructions on how to handle things, and I tried remembering all of it. I looked at Onew and all he did was nod with a smile.  We then began working and it was a fine day really...except Onew did trip and break a few stuff. Luckily, Onew's smile saved his job. The girls in the shop was quite fond of him, while the males...not so much. The males all glared every time Onew was taking orders. It began getting dark and the shop was less busy, so Onew and I were given time to rest and eat.

"What is this I hear of a job?"

"Key. Jonghyun." I looked at them as they walked into the shop. Jonghyun smiled brightly and kissed my cheeks.

"How'd you guys find out?" Onew asked and took a sip from the coffee.

"Well, internet is a thing. And you know how the kids in our school are." Key replied.

"Why are you working, Na  Na?" Jonghyun asked and took some of my coffee.

"Mom got a new job, and we're having small troubles."

"But she got a promotion."

"I guess not."

"That's strange... But if you're having money troubles, I can-"

"What are you going to do? Pay Na Na to hang out with you?" Key laughed.

"If that's okay with my baby. I don't want my baby to have to suffer-"

"It's just a job,and I like this job."

"What if it isn't safe? And what am I going to do after school?"

"Yah, I'm sure you can find something. We shouldn't always be around each other anyways. We might get sick of each other. I'm a waitress, how 'unsafe' can that be?"

"And I'm here." Onew smiled.

"Why do you think I said it's 'unsafe'?"

"Mehrong." Onew stuck his tongue out.

"I wonder if I can get a job here-"

"Onew working it's a stretch as it is, and you don't have the best temper."

"I agree. You'd lash out at me when I ask you for something." Key pointed out.

"Yeah but you do it when I'm  sleeping. You nudge me until I wake up and all you'd ask for is water. You treat me like I'm your butler sometimes."

"You're lashing out." Key sang, earning a laugh from Onew and me.

"We have to get back to work." Onew teased, while Jonghyun mimicked him by mumbling random things. Onew found and mumbled back.

                                                                                                  

Jonghyun's POV

"I don't like the sound of this." Key said when they went back to work.

"I don't either. Stupid Onew."

"No, with the job thing, of Na Na's mother. You said she had a promotion? And then she got another job? I think something's going on, and I think it has to do with you're mother." Key raised his eyebrows and took a sip from the coffee. I frowned at the thought…

"Mother's in New York, for fashion week or whatever, no?"

"Fashion week is in September, idiot."

"Oh,  well, she's in New York for something… I doubt she was able to-" I stopped myself when I heard a loud noise from the kitchen. " Onew, probably.

"I have an idea! Let's scare him. He did it to me this morning. April fools or whatever."

"Onew isn't the kind of person easily scared."

"Yeah, I'll scare him and then he won't be scared-but that's when you scare him."

"Arraso…" I nodded. Key smiled and got up, taking his place beside the kitchen entrance while I took my place beside the pole.

"Boo!" Key tried, but Onew just rolled his eyes.

"Pathetic Key. If that's the best-"

"AHHH!" I came from behind, but this time, Onew got scared. Onew got so scared, he dropped the tray of cups he had.

"AISH, Jonghyun!" Onew tsked and hit me with the tray. Key and I began laughing so hard, we had to

"Excuse me, but I'm going to have you guys leave with all this commotion you guys are causing." a lady snapped at us. Key and I looked up and saw an angry looking waitress.

"Mianh." I smiled charmingly at her-if I do say so myself.

"We won't be doing it again. I do apologize for our behavior." Key smiled also.

"I'll get them to leave-" Onew told  the waitress.

"No, no. I was making false assumptions… Would you guys like some cake-or-coffee-or-anything?"