The Strength We Never Knew We Had

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Na Na's POV

I glanced at the sleeping Jonghyun on my couch and thought that it'd be a good time to finally open the letter. I walked to the kitchen and went through the pile of letters, finally finding the envelope with the word Yale printed on it. I took a deep breath and opened it. It took me quite the time before finding the guts to read the letter. The second I finished reading the entire letter, my eyes tear up a little.

"Na Na?" Jonghyun came from behind and peeked at the letter.

"Mm?" I asked, trying to smile.

"Na Na…" Jonghyun wiped my tears away and took a look at the letter himself.

"I'm sorry." Jonghyun kissed me, making me feel better.

"It's alright." I tried smiling. Jonghyun smiled at me brightly and leaned in to kiss me again.

"I know I shouldn't be so happy but I'm just glad you won't be leaving me. Now we'd be together. Always and forever." Jonghyun kissed me again. I smiled and nodded. I knew that I was lying since I have yet to hear from Columbia. But maybe I won't be accepted into that one too…

"Wipe that grin off you face." I tsked and very lightly slap his cheeks. Jonghyun smiled again and held my hand with it still on his face.

"Mianh. I just really, really don't want you to leave me. I don't know what I'd do without you." Jonghyun leaned in again and kissed me.

"I have to work." I pulled away when I noticed the time.

"Right. I'll come with."

"Ani. You go home. Look at your eyes. You need more sleep. You're always here in the morning and you leave so late."

"That's because I want to see my baby."

"Well, your baby is going to work. You go home and sleep. Arraso?"

"But I want to watch you work." Jonghyun demanded like a five year old.

"Go home and nap."

"Fine, fine. I'll just drop you off."

"And?"

"And go home and nap."

Jonghyun drove me to the café and gave him a quick kiss goodbye before actually leaving. I walk in of course to find a very busy café… Onew's been attracting quite the amount of girls with his… condition. Onew condition.

                                                                                                                

Jonghyun's POV

After taking a nap as Na Na as insisted, I went into my living room and the TV. I looked around the empty place and sighed. How did I live like this? Without anyone… without Na Na. All I did was look at the time and wait until I could pick Na Na up. I sighed. It was still hours away. I went to my kitchen and look for ramen, then trying to make it myself.

My cooking session was disturbed when I heard the door passcode being entered and then opened. I eyed the door curiously, thinking it could be Key or Na Na.

"Krystal, what are you doing here?" I rolled my eyes and let out a loud groan.

"Nice to see you too."

"I want to say the same. No wait… I don't actually. Is there a nice way for me to tell you to get out?" I rolled my eyes at her.

"I'll won't do anything. I just-I just-I'm bored. I don't have anywhere to go."

"Home?"

"That's where I'm bored."

"Go to your friend… Victoria."

"She's no longer my friend."

"Ugh, then go to another friend." 

"I don't have another friend. At least not any good ones. You're as close to it."

"I have a girlfriend."

"I know but I won't do anything. At least not tonight." Krystal looked at me with those eyes.

"Fine." I gave up and agreed.

We eventually ended up with decent ramen and we ate in front of the TV. Krystal made a face every time she took a fork full of ramen but she ate it anyways. I laughed when I saw the face again.

"Bwoh?" Krystal asked loudly, sounding so offended. I chuckled at my amusement.

"If you don't like it then don't eat it."

"No, no. It's not that I don't like it. It's just… fattening."

"Then don't eat it. You always complain about how fattening food makes your face oily."

"You still remember…"

"How can I not? Every naggy thing you have nagged about… every complaints you have complain about. Every annoying girl you're annoyed about."

"You know, the brain gets rid of irrelevant memories. And the fact that you remember everything proves that I'm relevant."

"Whatever, Krystal." I rolled my eyes and ate  more from my noodles. I suddenly felt something creeping onto my hand and I looked up and saw to too closely Krystal.

"Stop. You said you weren't going to do anything." I quickly pushed her.

"I lied." Krystal whispered and quickly leaned in and captured my lips into her.

It felt weird. It felt the same. Déjà vu. Every memories of our kisses suddenly rush back. I'd be lying if I said I never missed it. It felt like before. It doesn't actually. Feels so different.  But I didn't like before anyways. I like now. I love now. I love Na Na. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a good kiss because it was. It felt good, just as it's used to be. But… this… this doesn't feel like Na Na. With Na Na, it felt great.

"Jonghyun." a voice called out a second after I pulled away. I looked up, stuttering and trying to find the right words to explain.

"I-"

"No. Just-"

"But-"

"Don't. Don't explain to me. Go and explain to someone more important."

"Can't I just-"

"No. You are going to do the right thing and tell Na Na what I just saw. She'd find out. If not from me, from her. Go."

                                                                                                     

Key's POV

"You need to go." I told Krystal as Jonghyun went out the door.

"It's not your house."

"It isn't yours either, the same way Jonghyun isn't yours."

"Don't you think I know that?"

"That's what you said at the wedding. And now? I don't think you ever know. Jonghyun doesn't love you anymore!"

"I know!" Krystal yelled back. Her cheeks reddening and even I could see the small amount of tears collected at the corner of her eyes all the way at the door.

"Then what was that?" I asked, softening my voice a little.

"I just-I didn't want to accept it. So I kissed him."

"And?"

"And it felt good. But it didn't felt the same as it used to."

My heart slightly soften and I took my place on the couch. Don't get me wrong… I don't like her. But like every psychopath… they need therapy.

"So what have you… learned from… that? The kiss?" I tried kindly.

"I learned everything I need to know." Krystal huffed and grabbed her jacket. I could hear the slight-slight crack in her voice and I held her wrist, keeping her from going. I knew she was crying and so I didn't look at her. Krystal wasn't a women who liked to be seen at her weakness so I wasn't going to make it worse with eye contact.

"I hope that means you'd stop. With this. Didn't you say this was a dead end?"

"I did. I know it is. But I can't help but want to go back to this. Every time I tell myself to stop, I just end up going back. I want to say that I'd stop, but I can't promise anything."

Krystal harshly pulled out of my grasp and left the apartment. I look around and found a picture at the bookcase. I smiled at the picture of me and Jonghyun with our baby cars, with me and my amplifier, yelling at Jonghyun. I'd always go to Jonghyun house and we'd play like that. With the toys and such. When has our child play begin and turn to this?

                                                                                                              

Krystal's POV

I ended up in the same place as I had last time I stormed out of Jonghyun's apartment. In my car… alone. But this time, without Victoria who'd call and take my mind off things. I tsked when I felt more tears. I'm here crying. Pathetic… I'm not crying because of the rejection, because I expected it. I just-I just didn't expect the kiss to feel so-so different. it was a good kiss, expected with two amazing kissers. But I expected to feel the same as it used to. I tried to do so, but I guess it was Jonghyun.

Did he really forget me so fast? I thought we were good together. We always had been. Jonghyun saw me for who I was and I saw him for who he was. Jonghyun is the only one that can do that and I thought I was the only one that could do the same. I didn't think someone else would to-and better.

I wiped those tears once again and wished I could just go back. Back to when Jonghyun and I were us. Back when it wasn't like this. When I wasn't crying so pitifully. My god… when have I became like… this? I am many things but I never thought one would be pathetic. I felt weaker and weaker as the tears escaped more and more.

I opened my car roof and yell, trying to let out all of the frustration. I yelled again and smacked the horn a couple times, scaring the birds away. I yelled once more and hit the steering wheel harshly. I looked up and stared at the sky. I took a deep breath and smacked myself a little.

That's' better-well, not really. At least I finally found the strength to stop crying these stupid tears.

                                                                                                       

Jonghyun's POV

With so many thoughts attacking each other, no of them involved this. Me… getting ready to tell Na Na what happened. I felt guilty but I didn't want to tell her. I don't want to hurt her. I kicked my tires in frustration. Why did I let Krystal in?!? Why do I even have to tell Na Na? But Key's right. This is right. I'm not suppose to lie. I've seen enough in my world to see that lying is what ruins everything. Love… life…. Children… I got all my bad habits from all the lies I've heard.

I got the courage to walk up the steps and tried to calm myself before ringing the door bell. I finally pressed the bell and composed myself, making sure everything was in place. Me, the flowers I was holding and even my clothes. I silently hoped it was Na Na's mom that's to open the door, but it was Na Na.

"Yah, I told you Onew drove me home and that I got back safely. You don't always have to check on me-what's with the flowers?"

"It's for you." I tried to smile normally and handed her the boutique.

"Wae? I thought we said we won't get flowers anymore. It'd die anyways…"

"I have to tell you something." I was finally able to let out. Na Na, who was eyeing those flowers with those cute eyes of her, looked up and her face turned dark, as if she knew what was happening.

"...What is it?"

"I… when I went home...Krystal came over… a-and I guess I let her stay. And we-we were eating. Then suddenly... I guess she-we-"

"No...no...no...no. You guys didn't kiss…" Na Na began tearing up. I knew that this must remind her so much of Khun. And I also knew how much this must be hurting. A bullet hurts twice as much the second time around.

"We did, but I pulled away when Key-"

"Key? So you wouldn't have if he wasn't there?"

"No, I stated that wrong-"

"No you didn't Jonghyun."

"Yes, I did-"

"No, just please. Stop. How can you? You knew that this was what happened-and-and you're doing the exact same thing-"

"No, I'm not. I'm not confused about my feelings. I love you-"

"You love Krystal too."

"No, I don't-"

"Then why did you kiss her?"

"She kissed me-"

"Why did you let her in your place in the first place?"

"I just-it was-those-her-it-I saw the look in her eyes and-"

"And what? You let her in because of that? Face it Jonghyun… you still feel the same."

"I don't! I kissed her and I am so, so sure now that I don't feel the same as I had before."

"So you weren't sure before?"

"No-I-It's just. What can I say to make this better?"

"Nothing, Jonghyun."

"But-"

"I think you should go."

"But-"

Before I could finish, I was facing a closed door. I bit my lips hard, almost drawing blood. Even with the door closed, I could hear how hurt Na Na's feeling. I hate it. I leaned against the door and sat against it. I didn't want to leave. I knew that I should but I couldn't. I didn't want to hear those slight sobs of her but I want to be sure she's okay. I just want her to stop crying. I want to cry too but I'll just make things worse. I know that Na Na still loves me so if I cried, she'd cried even harder. But because she loves me, she's crying. Why am I so stupid? I suddenly felt my phone vibrate in my pockets and I couldn’t find the strength to look at it. It was only until the sobs got quieter that I looked at my phone. It was Key.

-I know you're at Na Na's place. I'm guessing you told her already. You need to leave and give her space.-

I took a deep breath and finally got up and left the doorstep. I didn't want to though. I don't want this to be the last time I'd be here. But Key's right. I should give her space. I didn't want to leave because Na  Na might suddenly open the door and tell me that she loves me… that she forgives me… that I have to never to it again… and that I have to buy her some food to make it up to her.

                                                                                              

Na Na's POV

I saw Jonghyun's car leave and I left the house right away. Last time this happened, I stayed in the house and cried. I'm not going to do that again because look where that got me and Khun. I'm going to leave. I'm going to go somewhere else to cry. I found my way in the bench. The familiar bench. I sat there and looked at the sky. The used to be plain sky that was now splattered with a couple of stars.

"It's pretty, right?"

I looked to my right, where I heard the voice. It was Khun, smiling as bright as the stars in the sky.

"You're good at this… always finding me when I'm like this."

"I told you. I'll be there. For you. So this is what I do… just hang out at the park all day and wait until you come." Khun joked. I chuckled a little but bit my lips right after to stop what happened. I suddenly felt a warm and familiar embrace. Khun still smell the same.

"What are you doing?" I asked yet burying my head in his chest, hiding the tears.

"I'm standing by you as I have said and wait until the guy makes a stupid mistake. Which I'm guessing he did. And so I'm sweeping you off your feet." Khun teased.

"That's not funny."

"I know. But do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Then we won't. we can stay here and sleep if that's how long it takes for you to stop those tears. Know I'll be here to lift you up."

                                                                                                           

Nichkhun's POV

Even if it's hurting me to see you like this... especially over another guy... I'm going to make sure at least you're not hurt, even if it's hurting me. I'll be strong for the one I love. I'll be strong for you.